Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:07 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The federal government's cost to build a new headquarters for the FBI in Greenbelt has just gone down — and that could give the suburban Maryland option a significant leg up as the General Services Administration winds down the competitive regional search.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...dquarters.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:56 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I guess since the Purple Line has been put on hold, again, we can start to focus on the other huge economic driver in Prince George's County. The decision will come in less than 6 months now.

Greenbelt already made the most sense and now it has the lowest cost. Should be interesting how this plays out.

Quote:
The price reduction for the Greenbelt site has made the process much more competitive between the cities, said Renard Development Manager Garth Beall. Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe pledged $120 million for the proposed site in Springfield — $100 million less than Hogan — while the proposed cost of the Landover site has remained unchanged.

"That was part of our strategy, to not only be the best site, but to be the least expensive option for the federal government, in terms of the purchase price, but also in terms of the construction," he said. The purchase price is what the federal government is going to pay the developer to build it, while the construction is the actual cost.
Greenbelt’s FBI headquarters bid just got more attractive thanks to Gov. Larry Hogan - The Diamondback

Old 08-13-2016, 11:11 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I don't see the purple line being delayed for long. All that will do is increase the cost of the project. I don't get the point of delaying it. This country really has their heads up their azzes when it comes to urban infrastructure investment. This is where our government needs to step in and start getting this stuff done and stop dragging out important billion dollar infrastructure projects out for decades because somebody is butthurt. Our cities are literally crumbling compared to the rest of the world now.

Anyway. I really hope the FBI chooses Greenbelt, it makes the most sense from an urban planning standpoint.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 AM

Interesting announcement from UMD-College Park and UMD-Baltimore. At worst, it is a pretty smart play at luring the FBI. From the article I can't tell if there is a partnership with the FBI or not. We'll know Tuesday when they make a formal announcement in non other than Greenbelt.

Quote:
University of Maryland President Wallace Loh will join University of Maryland, Baltimore President Jay Perman and other leading state officials next Tuesday to announce a national security partnership between the two institutions, according to a university news release.

The relationship is set to be announced during an event in Greenbelt, which has been trying to entice the FBI into relocating nearby. No specific details on the partnership were available in the news release.
UMD and UMB officials to announce national security partnership next week in Greenbelt - The Diamondback

Old 09-09-2016, 10:58 AM

96 posts, read 147,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't see the purple line being delayed for long. All that will do is increase the cost of the project. I don't get the point of delaying it. This country really has their heads up their azzes when it comes to urban infrastructure investment. This is where our government needs to step in and start getting this stuff done and stop dragging out important billion dollar infrastructure projects out for decades because somebody is butthurt. Our cities are literally crumbling compared to the rest of the world now.

Anyway. I really hope the FBI chooses Greenbelt, it makes the most sense from an urban planning standpoint.
I can't imagine them choosing Springfield or Landover.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthfox94 View Post
I can't imagine them choosing Springfield or Landover.
I can't either. While Greenbelt has the best transit access, I have no idea how many that work at the FBI would use transit. Does anybody have this info?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:40 AM

Looking at some renderings for the proposed FBI HQ at Greenbelt. I didn't realize they would be replacing the commuter lots with this. It's interesting, but it would take one humongous parking garage to replace all that parking.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Looking at some renderings for the proposed FBI HQ at Greenbelt. I didn't realize they would be replacing the commuter lots with this. It's interesting, but it would take one humongous parking garage to replace all that parking.
They are being converted to parking garage/s to the left of the first photo. Essentially, you can probably get more spaces in a garage than you can if they were spread out per acre.

There are approximately 3,800 spaces of varying parking duration at the Greenbelt Metro. The garage should hold approximately 3,700 spaces. That should be enough. I'm not sure how full the parking lots are during the week or if they even use the overhead lots.

Metro - Rail - Parking - Daily Parking

Prince George's Co. development, new Greenbelt parking fee hinge on FBI HQ | WTOP

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 09-14-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 10:21 AM

469 posts, read 550,018 times
Actually Landover is very underrated. Your 10 minutes from not 1 but 2 Subway Stations. Not to mention New Carrollton has the Marc Train. Not to mention, it would be located off of a major Highway and Exit. I think people are bashing the Landover Spot because its "Landover". Also Woodmore Town Center and the developing Largo "down town" is 5 minutes away

Old 09-14-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Actually Landover is very underrated. Your 10 minutes from not 1 but 2 Subway Stations. Not to mention New Carrollton has the Marc Train. Not to mention, it would be located off of a major Highway and Exit. I think people are bashing the Landover Spot because its "Landover". Also Woodmore Town Center and the developing Largo "down town" is 5 minutes away
The rating for Landover is fairly accurate. Sure, you're 10 minutes from two metro stations. But you'd rather pay for shuttles to get to those stations? Not only that, those shuttles are subject to traffic. Compared to a 10 minute walk straight to the station.

Greenbelt is also right off the highway, but not just 495, but it is also right off of I-95 with all its own exits and on-ramps. Greenbelt has MARC also.

No one is bashing Landover. But it is the least optimal of the two in terms of transportation. Even Springfield would get the nod based off of distance to Metro and 495/95 access.

Earlier in this thread you can find comparisons on the three sites based on transit numbers. ANd I think that is the point. You'd want the FBI to have as little impact on the surrounding roads as possible. The best way to do that is to get as close to the Metro as possible. Greenbelt offers the best possibilities unless they build a bridge from the Landover site to the New Carrollton Metro, that goal for Landover is more challenging.

If transit weren't an issue, then Landover would have equal chances I think. But I'm not a fan of the Landover proposal. It reminds me of another Suitland federal site. A walled off compound with little or no development nearby. While Greenbelt at least offers the prospect of a small town center across the street.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 09-14-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland