Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 12,798 times

Advertisements

Greetings all-

I am moving to the DC area in May and looking for a rental beginning in June. I will be working in Suitland and would like to commute there via metro. I need 2 bedrooms since I have a wife and a college bound child. We are coming from Minneapolis and I currently live on a very quiet and safe neighborhood. I am willing to pay $2k a month. Safety is very important to me.

I have been looking online in the Takoma, Takoma Park, Silver Spring, Alexandria areas. I then run the address of the potential rental unit in crimespotter web site and it shows crime virtually everywhere I look on a daily basis.

Am I doing something wrong or is crime there really that bad?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHC View Post

Thanks for your input.
Yes. You're assuming that a "safe place" exists in this world. You may want to go further into detail about how you define safe. Are you looking for absolutely no crime as in not even a lawn chair stolen out of a back yard? Or are you talking about being safe from physical assault? In my neighborhood, people would certainly say it is unsafe, yet I have left my front door open all night (ac was busted and I needed cool air). My car doors have been mistakenly left unlocked for longer than 24 hours and nothing has been removed. My wife, bless her soul, leaves evidence of her i-products and GPS in her car and her car hasn't been broken into. Neither of us have been physically threatened or assaulted. Of the 15 years I've lived here, I have only had one car window busted out. That was from teens who also busted other windows along the street. But that's it.

That's why I take crime reports with a grain of salt. Safe is how you define it and how you choose to take precautions. Certainly there are higher risk areas like where i live, but even those risks can be mitigated with common sense. Would I leave my front door open all night today? Maybe not. I have a wife to protect now. Just my 2cents on crime. I think some people almost miss out on great neighborhoods by miscalculating what is safe. There are a few posters in here that have admitted to that.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM

165 posts, read 564,261 times
Default Try crimereports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHC View Post
Greetings all-

I am moving to the DC area in May and looking for a rental beginning in June. I will be working in Suitland and would like to commute there via metro. I need 2 bedrooms since I have a wife and a college bound child. We are coming from Minneapolis and I currently live on a very quiet and safe neighborhood. I am willing to pay $2k a month. Safety is very important to me.

I have been looking online in the Takoma, Takoma Park, Silver Spring, Alexandria areas. I then run the address of the potential rental unit in crimespotter web site and it shows crime virtually everywhere I look on a daily basis.

Thanks for your input.
MC Department of Police: Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act

Montgomery County Maryland (Silver Spring and part of Takoma Park are located in MOCO) uses CrimeReports.com. You can enter a zip code and see types of crimes committed on a map--e.x. theft from vehicles, assaults, and locations of registered sex offenders etc. Areas around the DC Metro area can be very densely populated so the maps may show lots of crime events even though you as an individual may never experience them.

I ran my own zip code (20815) and can see thefts from vehicles and other various crimes but I have never personally experienced any crime in my neighborhood. Of course I keep my home and car doors locked and I don't display any electronic devices/cords etc that might entice a would be thief. I'm very aware of the surrounding area and I know my neighbors and their kids so we tend to look out for one another. I get packages delivered all the time from UPS/FEDEX and there always on my porch when I get home even when I arrive late in the evening.

Like the previous poster said common sense behaviors and practices go along way towards keeping you safe and feeling secure.

C.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
I ran my own zip code (20815) and can see thefts from vehicles and other various crimes but I have never personally experienced any crime in my neighborhood. Of course I keep my home and car doors locked and I don't display any electronic devices/cords etc that might entice a would be thief.
Of course a zip code is a very big unit with a diversity of housing. The areas in Takoma Park and Silver Spring around the Metros will show a lot of opportunistic crime- petty theft and car break-ins.

If you want to have less of this type of crime, move further away from the metro stop into a single family or townhouse neighborhoods. The trade-off might be that you take a bus to the metro stop rather than walk. IMO, it is worth it to be further away from the metro stops.

Or, look at high-rises with controlled access. You might look at the nice, newer apartment areas in Hyattsville.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 PM

377 posts, read 665,324 times
crimereports.com doesn't report properly for NoVA, which is why when you compare PG to NoVA it looks pretty out of whack, especially since NoVA is significantly denser.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
I live in Fort Washington (20744) with my wife and 3 year old and it is ~10 miles from Suitland by car. I mention this because if you type in 'Fort Washington, MD' on crimereports you will see there is really no crime in that area.

It is overwhelmingly a SFH region, but you can also get a brand new attractive house in one of the nicer communities (those with 'Tantallon' linked names) for easily 1.5K/month mortgage.

If safety is your thing, then you might want to consider here.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Well, you have to take the crimereports websites with a grain of salt. I've found that crimes "disappear" from day to day, etc. We lived for four years in downtown Silver Spring, which seems terrible based on crime reports websites, but nothing ever happened to us or in our building. Oh, I did once see a woman board the metro without paying fare. As long as the area does not have violent crime, such as robberies, murders, rapes, etc., and you are someone who uses common sense when living in an urban area, you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland