Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
It surely does count. The Cheesecake Factory is not on the same tier as Red Lobster's or Olive Garden.

Hold on a second Red Lobster is a very good restaurant and yes should be a can be used in the same breath as the Cheesecake Factory .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,769 times
Significant drops in sales growth in the last two weeks of the previous quarter, and the first three weeks of the current quarter. I expect most people will eventually forget about it, but there will be some residual loss.

Whole Foods Sales Hurt by Bad Publicity from Overcharging “Whole Foods Market Inc. says its sales are hurting from bad publicity over its overcharging of customers in New York City.” (Los Angeles Times)

Old 08-02-2015, 09:00 PM

Apropos of the discussion up thread on the proximity of grocery stores, and the fact that there are four within one mile on Route 1 in Laurel. Of the four, Safeway is the weakest based, on cars in the lot.
Sunday, at the intersection of Route 1 and Contee Rd there were two kids twirling arrows for the Shoppers which had a Grand Reopening Balloon. IIRC don't believe I've ever seen that before for a grocery store.
I pass that way most days and was unaware it had closed. May be a sign that HT is having a serious impact.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Apropos of the discussion up thread on the proximity of grocery stores, and the fact that there are four within one mile on Route 1 in Laurel. Of the four, Safeway is the weakest based, on cars in the lot.
Sunday, at the intersection of Route 1 and Contee Rd there were two kids twirling arrows for the Shoppers which had a Grand Reopening Balloon. IIRC don't believe I've ever seen that before for a grocery store.
I pass that way most days and was unaware it had closed. May be a sign that HT is having a serious impact.

In the grocery business stores don't have to close it can be a "Grand Re-Opening " after a big remodel so the store might never had closed .What I think people are forgetting is it just isn't "grocery stores " that are in competition any more ,Giant ,Safeway ,Harris Teeter etc are all in competition for your food dollar with ,Wal-mart ,Target ,K-mart ,Dollar stores,Sams Club, BJ's and Costco , also add in Royal Farms ,Wawa and 7-11 and the new small organic places like Dave's and Mom's plus during the summer farm stands and home grown it is an very tough business to be in and promote.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:15 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
^^ Yes. Isn't the country's number one grocer Walmart -- NOT an actual grocery store?
Thanks for pointing out info a lot of people either don't know....or forget.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
In the grocery business stores don't have to close it can be a "Grand Re-Opening " after a big remodel so the store might never had closed .What I think people are forgetting is it just isn't "grocery stores " that are in competition any more ,Giant ,Safeway ,Harris Teeter etc are all in competition for your food dollar with ,Wal-mart ,Target ,K-mart ,Dollar stores,Sams Club, BJ's and Costco , also add in Royal Farms ,Wawa and 7-11 and the new small organic places like Dave's and Mom's plus during the summer farm stands and home grown it is an very tough business to be in and promote.
Thing is, that particular SFW store is large, modern, and only about 8-10 years old. So not a likely candidate for a remodel. I'll take a look this week, and see if there is anything obvious..
Oh, and you left Aldi and TJ off your list........

Old 08-03-2015, 01:59 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Yes. Isn't the country's number one grocer Walmart -- NOT an actual grocery store?
Thanks for pointing out info a lot of people either don't know....or forget.
That is true, but a lot of people may not prefer the Wal-Mart experience or its product offering. And it has nothing to do with, "I wouldn't be caught dead in a discount store." snobbery for some but everything to do with presentation, atmosphere, and customer service.

The DC area is unique in that we are one of about three or four major metro areas that enjoy relatively high incomes. Therefore, we can shun Wal-Mart for a more refined experience across the street at Safeway or Whole Foods if we desire to. While most of us appreciate a good deal, we don't necessarily run to the cheapest stores to shop. and Wal-mart isn't the center of retail for us as it is in a lot of small towns across the country.

In conclusion, even though Whole Foods may be in close proximity to competition such as Wal-Mart and Safeway, they know that they can attract those who are willing to pay for a more upscale shopping experience. I think both Wegmans and Whole Foods both have exceptional shopping experiences. That alone is enough to pull those that can afford it away from the stores with more pedestrian shopping experiences and even the bare bones experience you find in Wal-Mart and Costco. That's what makes Wegman's and Whole Foods stand out from the rest. They both found that niche that they can profit from just like Costco and Wal-Mart focuses on the bargain shopper. Other people are just brand loyal which is probably how 4 different grocery stores can co-exist in Laurel.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
^^ Yes.
My word, yes, .....some areas seem to have a LOT of grocery stores to choose from...
With all the grocery options we have it IS interesting to see WHO survives WHERE.
I’d say the main factors are population density (of course) can the number of shoppers support a given store...
And as you say, [b]Adelphi[/B,]...which stores have what kind of support...and IS that support strong or variable.

Some areas like Laurel have LOTS of supermarkets, yet I’ve heard that in some areas of southern P.G. people don’t seem have that much choice at all.

That’s why I find the CP/Hyattsville developments regarding grocers so interesting to observe.
How will Whole Foods, Mom’s, Yes, and Trader Joe’s perform – all in relatively close proximity?
We’ll see.

As a totally separate issue I wish there was a BALDUCCI’s GOURMET MARKET near me...THAT would be great.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Yes.
My word, yes, .....some areas seem to have a LOT of grocery stores to choose from...
With all the grocery options we have it IS interesting to see WHO survives WHERE.
I’d say the main factors are population density (of course) can the number of shoppers support a given store...
And as you say, [b]Adelphi[/B,]...which stores have what kind of support...and IS that support strong or variable.

Some areas like Laurel have LOTS of supermarkets, yet I’ve heard that in some areas of southern P.G. people don’t seem have that much choice at all.

That’s why I find the CP/Hyattsville developments regarding grocers so interesting to observe.
How will Whole Foods, Mom’s, Yes, and Trader Joe’s perform – all in relatively close proximity?
We’ll see.

As a totally separate issue I wish there was a BALDUCCI’s GOURMET MARKET near me...THAT would be great.
Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That is true, but a lot of people may not prefer the Wal-Mart experience or its product offering. And it has nothing to do with, "I wouldn't be caught dead in a discount store." snobbery for some but everything to do with presentation, atmosphere, and customer service.

The DC area is unique in that we are one of about three or four major metro areas that enjoy relatively high incomes. Therefore, we can shun Wal-Mart for a more refined experience across the street at Safeway or Whole Foods if we desire to. While most of us appreciate a good deal, we don't necessarily run to the cheapest stores to shop. and Wal-mart isn't the center of retail for us as it is in a lot of small towns across the country.

In conclusion, even though Whole Foods may be in close proximity to competition such as Wal-Mart and Safeway, they know that they can attract those who are willing to pay for a more upscale shopping experience. I think both Wegmans and Whole Foods both have exceptional shopping experiences. That alone is enough to pull those that can afford it away from the stores with more pedestrian shopping experiences and even the bare bones experience you find in Wal-Mart and Costco. That's what makes Wegman's and Whole Foods stand out from the rest. They both found that niche that they can profit from just like Costco and Wal-Mart focuses on the bargain shopper. Other people are just brand loyal which is probably how 4 different grocery stores can co-exist in Laurel.
Well bang, there goes another theory, there are 55 Wal-Mart's within a 50 mile radius of Laurel. Take any small town you like in the US, and see how many Wal-Mart's are within a 50 mile radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland