Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I hear more about crime in the surrounding area, particularly that "E" section, than at the mall itself. The "E" section seems to be a handful. But that area has the nicest-looking apartments, several senior apts., a nice-looking subdivision, City Hall and other good things going for it. I tend to park on the main drag as much as I can to avoid theft from my car, but that is mainly because of the parking setup (in the back of the stores). Although I have parked in the back before several times with no problems. In fact, I have had no problem with BTC. I wonder if the lack of marketing and less business than other shopping areas (along with shoplifting and theft from shoppers) is the real problem? Is Simon a poor mall manager? Generally speaking, Bowie manages to do well finding tenants for most of its shopping centers. What's going on with BTC? I bet if they put a Whole Foods over there, that would help. They need a draw for the nice setup they already have.

Speaking of perception, there were some girls fighting at Annapolis Mall fairly recently. And wasn't someone shot near or in front of that mall? Yet folks still flock there. I see young people galore.
A few weeks ago while taking RT. 301 south toward Richmond to avoid the hoorendous I-95 construction debacle in Prince William County, my wife and I stopped at BTC because they had our favorite burger joint, Red Robin. Granted I have only been to Borders about few years ago and that's it, but when I decided to walk along the central core of BTC, I was amazed. The center is quite awesome and had many stores I didn't know existed in the county. DuClaw? That's certainly a far cry from the regular vanilla chains found elsewhere in the area.

I'm surprised to hear people say it's struggling. We went when there was live jaz in front of the food court. It reminded my wife of the town center in Annapolis with the Whole Foods and Target. So, my question is, is it really THAT bad? It seemed pretty crowded to us. No rowdy teens, no cars driving by with loud music. And it was certainly more crowded than the center in Annapolis. Are people just walking and not shopping? It seems to have a good retail/restaurant mix for a suburban shopping center.

If you ask me, I'd rather have BTC than PG Plaza Mall. Why the doom and gloom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A few weeks ago while taking RT. 301 south toward Richmond to avoid the hoorendous I-95 construction debacle in Prince William County, my wife and I stopped at BTC because they had our favorite burger joint, Red Robin. Granted I have only been to Borders about few years ago and that's it, but when I decided to walk along the central core of BTC, I was amazed. The center is quite awesome and had many stores I didn't know existed in the county. DuClaw? That's certainly a far cry from the regular vanilla chains found elsewhere in the area.

I'm surprised to hear people say it's struggling. We went when there was live jaz in front of the food court. It reminded my wife of the town center in Annapolis with the Whole Foods and Target. So, my question is, is it really THAT bad? It seemed pretty crowded to us. No rowdy teens, no cars driving by with loud music. And it was certainly more crowded than the center in Annapolis. Are people just walking and not shopping? It seems to have a good retail/restaurant mix for a suburban shopping center.

If you ask me, I'd rather have BTC than PG Plaza Mall. Why the doom and gloom?
In my opinion, most of the doom and gloom comes from old-time Bowie residents who don't want to see any change, progression or development in the City of Bowie. Therefore, they are upset about the increasing population, the increase of housing, the increase of shopping centers, and in some cases the increase of people of color. With that comes perception that crime is through the roof, and it is all the fault of minorities. When a crime is reported in the Patch, commenters obsess about the race of the perpetrator. Funny, I don't recall seeing the story about the white woman who has been arrested numerous times for drug-related charges (including keeping a bawdy house or some such). A teen even OD'd at her house one year. Nope, no conversation about her in the Patch.

I read a story in the Bowie Blade today about the police department reporting an overall downward trend of crime, although car thefts have increased. So while there is crime around and at BTC, it is apparently not enough to keep people away. They just aren't buying much, apparently. Perhaps the type of merchandise stocked plays into that. We have discussed the quality of Macy's merchandise at the BTC in this forum previously.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:01 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Crime in the "E", "N" and "P" sections have risen around BTC. Heather Ridge Apts has had the most crime due to its proximity (right across the street). Working with Bowie City and District 2 PG Police they say the same thing. BTC area is the 2nd "bad area" of Bowie. Granted its no Palmer Park, but for Bowie its not good. Most of my probation clients live in those areas of town which is considered "South Bowie", 20716.

BTC has its share of stores, however, it drew from people elsewhere. Now that Waugh Chapel opened, it not only took some customers away, but some business. Granted its still a decent "mall" but I dont feel unsafe there after hours. The after hours crowd is your normal PG County teenagers hanging out. Most are Bowie kids since its right there and metroBus accessible (B22, C22)... The same thing that I did when I was 16-19 and Im sure most of yall did. Granted, it wasnt outside and I wasnt walking shirtless showing my underwear b/c my jeans were hanging off. But nevertheless theyre just teenagers.

People are going to say the same thing about LTC when it opens... Its just a place for kids to go, remember, these towns are the true version of a PG Suburb, low crime, nothing to do on a Friday or Saturday night.

As for adelphi_sky most kids just go to hang out, most of the kids now a days only shop at a handful of stores. Sports Zone, Footlocker, and AE. Whereas the older people will do Macy's, Express, NY & Co, etc. LA Fitness will draw some people in so they wont have to drive to Crofton or Capitol Heights to use the gym. I will say that I felt some sort of way when i went into American Eagle and I was asked to check my bag by a security guard... Annapolis and Columbia dont guards... Im just saying

Whole Foods would fair well over there... But it would put Safeway out of business. Look at the one near Bowie HS, after the one BTC opened and the one in Fairwood, nobody went to the one by Bowie HS and it closed...

Now as for Laurel, its PG's first Harris Teeter which would do well in the area as you wont have to drive to the other side of Laurel to Maple Lawn, Annapolis, or Columbia.

Last edited by EducatedBro82; 10-10-2013 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
I think perception plays a big part into it. I cannot count how many times I read stories on the Bowie patch related to BTC and the comments people leave suggesting how dangerous/unsafe it is to shop there. Having been there many times, even late at night waiting to pick up my gf after work, I've never felt unsafe, and when I read comments like those I smh. Though there have been a number of occasions where I do see groups of shirtless teens walking through the town center and raggedy cars riding through blasting music. This may scare some and they may perceive it as not safe, thus preventing them from coming back to shop. Now crime does exist there, but it's not frequent enough to be a major problem.
Perception plays a huge part. I will say this though, and this applies to anywhere. I have learned when it comes to crime, those who experience it first hand tend to exaggerate how bad it is and those who don't tend to develop a misperception that crime maybe nonexistent. For most places, the truth is somewhere between the two.

Unfortunately I think Bowie suffered a lot from the housing crisis. I remember a few months ago seeing townhouses in the 'E' section, in particular, going for under $100k. A few years ago, those same places were going for twice that. Think about the turnover in residents they have had in that time and who can afford that area now. Bowie is a very desirable place, so I would imagine many who otherwise couldn't afford it, have taken advantage and unfortunately changed the area. I really thought the new town hall with the police precinct there would deter crime though, but I guess not.

Oh and I will add to something Bowian mentioned. I don't think BTC is so bad or Simon is bad, I just think that with Waugh Chapel you have a brand new shopping center, in an area with a better reputation than Bowie and people are gravitating towards that. It's tough to compete with a place that close.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Perception plays a huge part. I will say this though, and this applies to anywhere. I have learned when it comes to crime, those who experience it first hand tend to exaggerate how bad it is and those who don't tend to develop a misperception that crime maybe nonexistent. For most places, the truth is somewhere between the two.

Unfortunately I think Bowie suffered a lot from the housing crisis. I remember a few months ago seeing townhouses in the 'E' section, in particular, going for under $100k. A few years ago, those same places were going for twice that. Think about the turnover in residents they have had in that time and who can afford that area now. Bowie is a very desirable place, so I would imagine many who otherwise couldn't afford it, have taken advantage and unfortunately changed the area. I really thought the new town hall with the police precinct there would deter crime though, but I guess not.

Oh and I will add to something Bowian mentioned. I don't think BTC is so bad or Simon is bad, I just think that with Waugh Chapel you have a brand new shopping center, in an area with a better reputation than Bowie and people are gravitating towards that. It's tough to compete with a place that close.
Definitely agree with you on your first two points. In addition to buyers who now can afford it (many of whom bring troubled relatives with them), you have those who are Section 8 tenants. And the apartment complexes are all located around BTC, so there is plenty of less costly housing. I feel for those, Section 8 and otherwise, who just want a nice place to live and decent Bowie schools, and others ruin the experience.

As for Waugh Chapel, there's definitely some truth to that, but it seemed that BTC had trouble keeping some tenants before the Waugh Chapel development.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Definitely agree with you on your first two points. In addition to buyers who now can afford it (many of whom bring troubled relatives with them), you have those who are Section 8 tenants. And the apartment complexes are all located around BTC, so there is plenty of less costly housing. I feel for those, Section 8 and otherwise, who just want a nice place to live and decent Bowie schools, and others ruin the experience.

As for Waugh Chapel, there's definitely some truth to that, but it seemed that BTC had trouble keeping some tenants before the Waugh Chapel development.

I'll have to check this Waugh Chapel out. But it seems quite a distance from BTC. Are people really traveling that far from Bowie to WC because BTC is that bad? Though the Wegmans is a regional draw.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I'll have to check this Waugh Chapel out. But it seems quite a distance from BTC. Are people really traveling that far from Bowie to WC because BTC is that bad? Though the Wegmans is a regional draw.
It's only 3 miles apart.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It's only 3 miles apart.
Call me crazy, but Google Maps says 8 miles gate-to-gate between BTC and WC.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I see the same thing you see, but the information I was quoting came from a patch article that was posted on here so don't shoot the messenger. Even with that said 8 miles is really not that far, especially if you live in between the two.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
Quote:
driving that stretch feels longer when you take into account the traffic that usually builds up on 3/301. It's one of the reasons why I hate driving to Crofton. It's not that far distance-wise, but in the afternoon the traffic becomes horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland