Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
My gosh! Look at all that surface parking. That's about as auto-centric as you can get. Single-story big-box stores. Try taking a stroll in that project. lol I think Konterra is closer NH in terms of a walkable street grid. But Brandywine is more for retail purposes I guess.

Brandywine

Konterra
Brandywine is understandably built that way though because it's in the middle of nowhere and far away from the city or any type of urban development. There isn't any chance that anyone can get to that area without a car. In the future it certainly doesn't bode well if they are somehow able to get mass transit to that area, but it's much easier to build parking decks down the road than to spend that money now. Also even though they have built townhomes/houses nearby, it would be quite a walk to get over to that area, having to cross Route 5. I think that would not be attractive unless they built a bridge over it like they did at PG Plaza or at least start building condos/townhouses on the site of the project.

The kind of development that would really fit what you're talking about in my opinion is Woodmore Towne Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCP_1980 View Post
Eh. I am moving to Brandywine in September (new house construction, Lakeview at Brandywine) and I am NOT happy that they are putting in a CarMax. I bought a car from a CarMax years ago and I like them as a brand. It's not a criticism of the company itself. But I was disappointed that so much of that available real estate was going to be used up with the dealership. I was hoping for more retailers, boutiques, restaurants, etc. May have been way too wishful thinking, but since I'm going to be living a mile away, I'm not really interested in a giant parking lot/dealership there.
A lot of the residents of Brandywine had an issue with that. I think the developers were having problem finding retailers and wanted to close out the project as quickly as possible. I agree with you though, its not the best option for that parcel.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
I wonder what type of projects will exist on that future development site at Brandywine Crossing?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM

74 posts, read 171,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I wonder what type of projects will exist on that future development site at Brandywine Crossing?
I do have hopes for that. I guess I'll have to get involved in the local politics once I am down there. Right now I live in Hyattsville, so this is a big change in many ways.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I want to say that they were originally slating that for offices but I may be wrong or their vision may have changed

Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
I gotta get outta this state.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Greenbelt for sure if the FBI goes there.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:15 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Konterra

Takes off when the ICC RT. 1 terminus is complete. Delivery for the first phase is sometime in 2015ish.
Boy was I wrong! lol

When you think about National Harbor and the riverfront, a lot of people forget that the entire southeast border of Prince George's County is bounded by the Patuxent River. Shame that the southern peninsula is occupied by a power plant. That could have been an excellent spot for a weekend getaway resort. The county even borders Jug's Bay further north. One day I may drive down that way and explore the rest of the county.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 04-14-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,275 times
^ Yea that would've been a nice spot for a resort. And yea, Prince George's County definitely is huge. I've made it a point to visit every part of the county. A few Saturdays ago was my first time in Aquasco and the surrounding area. I've been meaning to go there for a while now, specifically to go eat at Reindeer Grill and that day worked out well since me and my gf were in the vicinity after visiting the Calvert Cliffs and Point Lookout state parks in Calvert and St Marys counties. She was amazed at how rural that area is and couldn't believe we were in PGC. It was no surprise to me since I tend to explore the county while she mainly doesn't leave the Aldephi-College Park-Greenbelt-Bowie areas.

BTW, Reindeer Grill has the best pizza in the county, hands down. It definitely lived up to the reviews.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:14 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Boy was I wrong! lol

When you think about National Harbor and the riverfront, a lot of people forget that the entire southeast border of Prince George's County is bounded by the Patuxent River. Shame that the southern peninsula is occupied by a power plant. That could have been an excellent spot for a weekend getaway resort. The county even borders Jug's Bay further north. One day I may drive down that way and explore the rest of the county.

http://www.townofeagleharborincmd.org/

http://townofeagleharborincmd.org/history.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Harbor,_Maryland

The power plant has nothing to do with it. That area is bigger than all of Calvert County and we have a nuke plant. That hasn't stopped Calvert from growing (too fast and too much by many measures).

What does have something to do with it is that most of the area is in permanent agriculture and forest conservation programs (on purpose). Along the Patuxent is Critical Areas (the Patuxent is considered tidal up to the bridge at Wayson's Corner).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland