Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times

Advertisements

And yet you are here still complaining about the state. Move on. What kind of butthurt person still complains about a place he left behind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
he's a troll...don't feed the troll

Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 AM

137 posts, read 268,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
uh... I lived in GA as non-white long before the Olympics. I lived in RI, when the mobs owned half of the city.

No, they tax you for so many thing, and the thing is, it only goes to concentrated areas. And the fact that the buildings and residential areas are still being develop and design from a template from 2000's are just disgusting (and the fact that you have to pay $1 plus for one).

No, MD is good for people who benefit from taxes. That's all that's good for. I can't imagine paying that much tax for what's there in MD. Just everything about MD is just not right. It's almost taxed like NYC without NYC. And don't even get me started on the 5 cent bag tax, along alcohol tax, and ridiculous rent that they charge.

IF you disagree with me, just post some good things about MD that you can't find in living in DC, or VA (northern).
'
You are not lying about the "ridiculous rent they charge" especially around areas near DC. I relocated and the housing cost in these areas are close to NY and San Francisco and everyone but especially those living on minimum wage are in trouble.

The 5 cents bag tax is only in Montgomery County as I came to understand but It's not a problem. It's great for the environment. I have always used our own bags for grocery for over 7 years now.

Low unemployment rate attracts people which explains in part this area's high housing cost, as assume.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:48 AM

137 posts, read 268,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Gerrymandering has destroyed, is destroying, any hope of actual representation in our government. The first paragraph about civic duty is nice, but it does not answer the problem. The election is pretty much fixed in advance. Not voting would have made as much difference as voting. This is not about sour grapes. I actually voted for democrats in 2012. The first election that I voted for thew winner in all the years I lived in Maryland. However, they would have won if I had not voted either. This not simple one-party dominance. Just look at the Gerrymandered map of MD from 2012 and it will be obvious that the election was fixed.
Yes! Gerrymandering is to blame for the voting pattern nowadays and both parties are guilty of it.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+1 Finally, someone who actually gets it!

And I'm glad you tackled that whole "the one party state" line that some people on here always like to bring up when discussing the negatives of living in Maryland. It's not like MD is the only state in the whole damn Union to have a so-called "one party rule" **cough** Oklahoma, Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc., etc., etc. **cough**

Glad you also called out Rick Perry and all his ilk. I also recall some right-leaning Texas ad spewing briefly in the local radio waves here in Maryland sometime earlier last month talking about our business climate and how we should follow Texas' lead. Riiiiiiight. LOL. It's kind of ironic though that some of the most wealthiest states in the country just so happens to be Democratic or blue states Go figure....

The top teen American states by GNP percapita are all Blue or Democratic Leaning with the exception of Two (3) Alaska (People who go to AK get hardship pay because when its springtime in Alaska its forty below! )and (7) New Hampshire (SE NH is effectively part of the Metro Boston area). Top on the list was Maryland with a GNP/person of $ 71,122 and (2) New Jersey ($69,610), (4) Conneticut ($67,276), (5) Hawaii, (6) Massachusettes, (8) Virginia ($61,741) , (9) Minnesota ($ 58,906) and (10) Delaware ($58,415).

Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
if you're ok with the 5cent bag charge, ask your governor next year, exactly a year to the date when this law was imposed this question:

"What have you done with our money to improve the recycling centers around the MD".

or

"What have you done with all of the bag charges to improve our state?"

If he says, "we used less, to save the environment", then he is lying. See how many houses, cars, bikes and boats he bought since the initiations of the tax.

If he says, "we have used this crap load of money to improve the recycling center, buy new machines to process plastic bags, because we had to impose this law because our recycling centers really sucked, and we couldn't process any recycling you did before, even though we made a big campaign about it", then you should really look into that and think about how this might be your next governor.

If he says, "we took all your bag tax money to come up with a new way to make plastic bags biodegradable, then I imposed a law to make this development across the US", then whatever you are doing now, drop it and vote this man for the president.

Hey, you can say anything you want, but the fact is, a lot of people agree with me, and you should agree with me about this one thing.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
if you're ok with the 5cent bag charge, ask your governor next year,
exactly a year to the date when this law was imposed this question
Why ask the Governor?
You're venting has a theme... it's like you ever get out of MoCo.

If the bag fee is changed/rescinded it will be about shoplifting with BYO bags...
not the fee charged to the unprepared and wasteful.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
No, they tax you for so many thing, and the thing is, it only goes to concentrated areas. And the fact that the buildings and residential areas are still being develop and design from a template from 2000's are just disgusting (and the fact that you have to pay $1 plus for one).

And don't even get me started on the 5 cent bag tax, along alcohol tax, .
Actually, MD has one of the lowest alcohol taxes. Until a few years ago, beer was taxed at only 2 cents a gallon.

It is true that taxpayers statewide pay for the majority of Baltimore City's expenses of all kinds - including education, public transport, roads maintenance, sport stadiums, museums, airport, arts facilities, and other services - as explained in more detail in the column here labeled "Why Baltimore is not Detroit - Sept 27, 2013" http://www.gazette.net/section/blairlee . For this reason, Baltimore City will never go bankrupt as Detroit, MI, just did.

The crazy gerrymandering by O'Malley's Democrats last year of Congressional election districts in MD, was just outrageous. And the gerrymandering proposal was worded on the ballot in such a bland way, that very few voters even realized what they were voting for.

But Republicans in Red states are even more guilty of gerrymandering. Because of this, I understand that Democrats nationwide voted 50%+ for Democratic congressional candidates in 2010, but due to Republican gerrymandering, only 46% of congressmen elected were Democrats.

Last edited by slowlane3; 11-03-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
That 50% figure is more due to the composition of the districts, or the voting base, than it is gerrymandering (or at least real blatant gerrymandering). Also, in both parties, many incumbents run without much opposition or even unopposed.

You're mixing raw vote totals up with individual district results.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Thanks for the thoroughly objective and well footnoted critique.
It will be cherished along with the other similarly well prepared missives.
Have a nice life.
Yes. Because you do what you say so well, compare to someone who actually does it very well.

Your high horse looks dead from reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland