Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,567,162 times

Advertisements

As previously discussed this has been one of the main challenges for Prince George's County in enticing private sector businesses to locating within the county. I believe MD would be a strong regional contender if its corporate tax rates were more competitive with the area. Hopefully this session will provide some traction for this debate At the very minimum it would be great if they identify certain areas by county that would receive a vitalization/revitalization tax break.

Jeffrey Lacker of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond said Maryland lags in jobs, payroll growth and manufacturing - Washington Business Journal

Quote:

But Lacker’s comments come as lawmakers return to Annapolis on Wednesday for
the start of the General Assembly session and some in the General Assembly are
expected to mount another push for reducing Maryland’s 8.25 percent corporate
income tax rate.

Business groups, including the Maryland Chamber of Commerce, see the tax rate as
hurting business growth here compared with neighboring states. Virginia, for
example, has a 6 percent corporate tax rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 12:39 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
As previously discussed this has been one of the main challenges for Prince George's County in enticing private sector businesses to locating within the county. I believe MD would be a strong regional contender if its corporate tax rates were more competitive with the area. Hopefully this session will provide some traction for this debate At the very minimum it would be great if they identify certain areas by county that would receive a vitalization/revitalization tax break.

Jeffrey Lacker of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond said Maryland lags in jobs, payroll growth and manufacturing - Washington Business Journal
I can see where tax breaks by county would give the state more flexibility and lessen the impact of state-wide tax breaks. I do think having specific tax-relief areas is a good incentive to draw business to those "employment deserts" throughout the state. I imagine there would be debates as to who gets what and why.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I can see where tax breaks by county would give the state more flexibility and lessen the impact of state-wide tax breaks. I do think having specific tax-relief areas is a good incentive to draw business to those "employment deserts" throughout the state. I imagine there would be debates as to who gets what and why.
Yeah I am sure that there will be debates to the hilt but the state needs to come to terms with the fact that their current policies are out of step with what the region is doing. They will continue to lag behind. They will probably jockey for which area will get it but at the end of the day something needs to be done to increase the number of businesses locating to these "deserts". If it were you which areas would you focus on for PG.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Yeah I am sure that there will be debates to the hilt but the state needs to come to terms with the fact that their current policies are out of step with what the region is doing. They will continue to lag behind. They will probably jockey for which area will get it but at the end of the day something needs to be done to increase the number of businesses locating to these "deserts". If it were you which areas would you focus on for PG.
First thing I would do is take out a WMATA rail map. TOD development should be priority. Second, what areas have momentum? I would pick those areas where you could get the biggest bang for the buck. Fill those areas up first and then spread to other locations as office demand grows. Lastly, is there walkability? Would employees have to hop in their cars and drive 5 miles to grab a bite to eat or to have happy hour, potential for after-hours activity? I have worked in Ashburn, VA and in DC off Wisconsin Avenue. A huge difference in walkability and things to do at lunch and after work without having to hop in a car.

Here's my list.

1. Greenbelt/College Park/Hyattsville Metros

Greenbelt has an existing stock of office parks close to the metro (across the street on the other side of I-95). The FBI certainly ups the game as far as momentum. With the new homes being built on the south core and a Beltway Plaza redux, this area can become walkable and sustain after-hours activity. And if the FBI does relocate to Greenbelt, expect the plans to turn the Springhill Lake Apartments behind the mall into a town center with offices, retail, and condos to be dusted off and revived. I can't see those apartments or the mall lasting much longer after the FBI moves in. Those properties would become too lucrative to remain in their current state.

College Park has M-Square with momentum already there and the proposed Purple Line running through half the city adds to accessibility. There are a few projects coming down the pipeline that will include residences and retail adding to walkability and after-hours activity (would include activity on RT. 1).

Hyattsville has about 1,350,000 sq ft of existing office space at UTC alone. Phase two of UTC hasn't even been realized yet. The new Safeway is coming online in a few years. And the Belcrest Plaza redevelopment across the street with phases that include office space has yet to be constructed. There were also plans to build an office tower above the PG Plaza metro before the recession. In addition, behind the gas station, there is space for offices or retail. Of all the places, I think if done right, Hyattsville could be one of the largest non-federal employment centers in the county.

2. New Carrollton

The IRS is there and there are transit options galore. There is an existing office park as well. As development plans are finalized, walkability shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully some retail can be provided for workers for lunch and after-hour activity.

3. Largo Town Center Metro

Largo Town Center has a workable retail portion. There are tons of existing office parks. It wouldn't be hard to attract more businesses to that area. While it is still auto-centric, improvements can be made for pedestrians and cyclists. The proposed new hospital can spur professional medical businesses to pop up in the area as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,772 times
Quote:
First thing I would do is take out a WMATA rail map. TOD development should be priority. Second, what areas have momentum? I would pick those areas where you could get the biggest bang for the buck. Fill those areas up first and then spread to other locations as office demand grows. Lastly, is there walkability? Would employees have to hop in their cars and drive 5 miles to grab a bite to eat or to have happy hour, potential for after-hours activity? I have worked in Ashburn, VA and in DC off Wisconsin Avenue. A huge difference in walkability and things to do at lunch and after work without having to hop in a car.

Here's my list.

Greenbelt has an existing stock of office parks close to the metro (across the street on the other side of I-95). The FBI certainly ups the game as far as momentum. With the new homes being built on the south core and a Beltway Plaza redux, this area can become walkable and sustain after-hours activity. And if the FBI does relocate to Greenbelt, expect the plans to turn the Springhill Lake Apartments behind the mall into a town center with offices, retail, and condos to be dusted off and revived. I can't see those apartments or the mall lasting much longer after the FBI moves in. Those properties would become too lucrative to remain in their current state.

College Park has M-Square with momentum already there and the proposed Purple Line running through half the city adds to accessibility. There are a few projects coming down the pipeline that will include residences and retail adding to walkability and after-hours activity (would include activity on RT. 1).

Hyattsville has about 1,350,000 sq ft of existing office space at UTC alone. Phase two of UTC hasn't even been realized yet. The new Safeway is coming online in a few years. And the Belcrest Plaza redevelopment across the street with phases that include office space has yet to be constructed. There were also plans to build an office tower above the PG Plaza metro before the recession. In addition, behind the gas station, there is space for offices or retail. Of all the places, I think if done right, Hyattsville could be one of the largest non-federal employment centers in the county.

2. New Carrollton

The IRS is there and there are transit options galore. There is an existing office park as well. As development plans are finalized, walkability shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully some retail can be provided for workers for lunch and after-hour activity.

Largo Town Center has a workable retail portion. There are tons of existing office parks. It wouldn't be hard to attract more businesses to that area. While it is still auto-centric, improvements can be made for pedestrians and cyclists. The proposed new hospital can spur professional medical businesses to pop up in the area as well.

If you are only limiting growth to those areas then You are not serious about making PG County open for Business and Economic Growth Opportunities.....

Fairfax County's Business and Economic Growth did not just focus on East Falls Church Metro Station, West Falls Church Metro Station, Dunn Lauren Metro Station, Vienna Metro Stations, and Springfield Metro Station. Fairfax County opened Business and Economic Growth Opportunities to Tysons Corner, Reston, Herndon, Fair Oaks, Centreville, and Chantilly....

In order for PG County to break away from the anti-Growth stigma it has to be open to Growth not only within the Beltway but also areas like Upper Marlboro, Fort Washington, Mitchellville, Bowie, and Laurel......

Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Here's my list.

2. New Carrollton

I think those are good starts. I would also add Branch Avenue Metro, Naylor Road and maybe Suitland (on the fence for that one). National Harbor and Konterra should also be thrown given the aim of each and the transit challenges they face (i.e. they would need additional incentives to grow their office presence).

Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
If you are only limiting growth to those areas then You are not serious about making PG County open for Business and Economic Growth Opportunities.....
Quote:
Fill those areas up first and then spread to other locations as office demand grows.

I understand that the entire county needs to be focused on in terms of job growth, but there is a strong need and a loud call to develop around the county's underdeveloped and undeveloped metro stations as a priority. One; to control sprawl, and two; to complete much needed infill development within transit districts, and three; to offer employees more commute options.

Once the tax initiatives increase sustainable job growth to those TOD nodes, the tax relief program can be transitioned to other non-metro accessible areas such as Bowie, Laurel, and Upper Marlboro. Currently, I don't think there will ever be enough office demand to build offices in every part of the county at once and expect those leases to be immediately filled. Especially when the entire DC area is dealing with undesirable vacancy rates. Hence my idea of getting the best bang for the buck; transit-oriented development.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,772 times
Quote:
I understand that the entire county needs to be focused on in terms of job growth, but there is a strong need and a loud call to develop around the county's underdeveloped and undeveloped metro stations as a priority. One; to control sprawl, and two; to complete much needed infill development within transit districts, and three; to offer employees more commute options.
Thats definitely not good enough because there is enough money to support Growth throughout 80% of the County but again there are other Jurisdictions(mainly Northern Virginia) that hate to see that happen because of fear that it will attract Large Professional Businesses and Professional Population Growth into he County making it more competitive with Fairfax County.....

Quote:
Once the tax initiatives increase sustainable job growth to those TOD nodes, the tax relief program can be transitioned to other non-metro accessible areas such as Bowie, Laurel, and Upper Marlboro. Currently, I don't think there will ever be enough office demand to build offices in every part of the county at once and expect those leases to be immediately filled. Especially when the entire DC area is dealing with undesirable vacancy rates. Hence my idea of getting the best bang for the buck; transit-oriented development.
Part of the reason why Northern Virginia is doing soo much better at attracting Businesses and Expanding Economic Growth is due to affordable property taxes in which property taxes in Suburban Maryland(PG County Inside the Beltway mostly) is more expensive.....

Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
Did you all read the story at the link from the OP? It's talking about Maryland as a whole. The corporate tax rate needs to be adjusted for the whole state, not just PG County. Lower the tax rate for the whole state and PG's proximity to Washington will take care of PG fairly well.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Did you all read the story at the link from the OP? It's talking about Maryland as a whole. The corporate tax rate needs to be adjusted for the whole state, not just PG County. Lower the tax rate for the whole state and PG's proximity to Washington will take care of PG fairly well.
The above conversation was discussing an alternative to a wholesale change if the state was not willing to go that route. PG was used as an example but we were talking about special districts in all counties within the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland