Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,293 times

Advertisements

Hi
We live in Old Town but considering moving to Harbor area. I love the houses on River Bend circle but nothing on sale. We like colonial, stone, senate? etc styles not rumblers. We have 4yo and I want to live as close as to Harbor, mainly Fort Foote Elm seems only good school there and also I like to walk to amenities as much as possible. Also I am a stay-at-home mom. I drove around a lot all the way down to Ft Washington Park, went to see houses available on market from Traverse Way, Gemini Ct, Washington Terrace, etc but I can't see any place where the community gets together, kids play or have events.

If you have a kid and you like to socialize with neighbors where in Ft Washington would you live to at least have some access to see other kids, get togethers, for school, etc? Or maybe better ask where do families with small kids live in Ft Washington?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKW-FTWASH View Post
Hi
We live in Old Town but considering moving to Harbor area. I love the houses on River Bend circle but nothing on sale. We like colonial, stone, senate? etc styles not rumblers. We have 4yo and I want to live as close as to Harbor, mainly Fort Foote Elm seems only good school there and also I like to walk to amenities as much as possible. Also I am a stay-at-home mom. I drove around a lot all the way down to Ft Washington Park, went to see houses available on market from Traverse Way, Gemini Ct, Washington Terrace, etc but I can't see any place where the community gets together, kids play or have events.

If you have a kid and you like to socialize with neighbors where in Ft Washington would you live to at least have some access to see other kids, get togethers, for school, etc? Or maybe better ask where do families with small kids live in Ft Washington?
Thank you
My first question would be what is your price range. Are you looking dor a sfh or th? That would help in providing you with a more tailored response. Ft. Washington is not a walkable community so it would be difficult at this time to recommend a community that is walkable. Off the top of my head some of the nicer established communities include Tantallon on the Potomac, Tantallon North, Riverview, Tantallon Hills, Fort Washington Estates( older community but friendly). Of course NH's townhome/brownstone community is shaping up nicely. They have three new models that are 3500 to 4500 square feet and start in the mid 700s . As for opportunities to socializing your child, my recommendation would be clubs/sports teams. When my child was young that was the best way to connect with other with children in your child's age range.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Hi thanks for reply.
We are looking upto 400k but can max out for 500k for new or no need fixing. Looking for SFH no townhouse or condos. And I see there r few good options out there for the price like Indian Queen but school is worst I think.

He is going to pre-k, has 3 signed activities plus going to YMCA for swimming class. He likes outdoors and being active. He loves having playdates, friends over, going to parks. That's why I worry that we might have an acre garden with noone to play. If there r no activities, places to hang out with kids I worry if worth to have a big house but nothing else. I like cul de sacs just so it gives a small community feeling but do neighbors really get together.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
We lived in Fort Washington for many years. The Harmony Hall community center has many activities for all ages. It's in "Silesia" at the intersection of Fort Wash. and Livingston Roads, and is run by the Parks and Planning Commission. Look at the variety of offerings posted inside there, and pick up a large quarterly "magazine" there (Spring 2014 edition - it's called the "Program Guide") which gives the schedule of hundreds of programs and activities at all recreation centers in P.G. County, including the Fort Washington area . Clearwater Nature Center is at Cosca Regional Park in Clinton, MD and has many scheduled activities like nature walks. There is also the Y.M.C.A. in Fort Washington.

The National Childrens Museum at National Harbor is small, but is planned to expand greatly this year.

Also, next-door to National Harbor, is the free "Oxon Hill Farm" operated by the National Park Service for children for the past 40 years. It's been kind of forgotten lately, overshadowed by all the extreme hype and attention given to the Harbor development.

There are private swimming pools at Tucker Road (Oxon Hill Recreation Club), at Captains Cove (Fort Washington Pool), and I think in Tantallon? Public indoor and outdoor pools (pay by the visit) are at Allentown Road "Padgett's Corner". There is also a newly-opened facility called the "Tech-Rec Center" located midpoint along Bock Road, where the road bottoms-out and crosses Henson Creek.

The public library in Oxon Hill is excellent, and there is a year-round ice rink on Tucker Road.

A good overview of the community is here (I wrote much of these 3 articles myself)

Fort Washington, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oxon Hill, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accokeek,_Maryland

Last edited by slowlane3; 05-21-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Thank you! I wouldn't think there were soo much around there as all I could see is houses and more houses... We have been to Oxon Hill Farm, Children's museum once, as you say very small wasn't worth money nor parking, and Xmas Ice Sculpture but I wanted to know if there is anything day to day for those who live there and now I see there are! Now I have to find a house on Rosier and RiverBend circle :-) That's my dream of course but if not will go south to Tantallon.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKW-FTWASH View Post
Hi thanks for reply.
We are looking upto 400k but can max out for 500k for new or no need fixing. Looking for SFH no townhouse or condos. And I see there r few good options out there for the price like Indian Queen but school is worst I think.

He is going to pre-k, has 3 signed activities plus going to YMCA for swimming class. He likes outdoors and being active. He loves having playdates, friends over, going to parks. That's why I worry that we might have an acre garden with noone to play. If there r no activities, places to hang out with kids I worry if worth to have a big house but nothing else. I like cul de sacs just so it gives a small community feeling but do neighbors really get together.
I echo Slowlane's suggestions. There are a lot of activities around the area that you can leverage to keep your child engaged and socialized. At your child's age, the school's may not be great but most parents I know have been able to work-around the deficiencies with the previously mentioned activities and being very involved with the school. From personal experience, teachers and administrators were more responsive to children who's parents they know. Which makes there experience different from those whose parents are not involved in their education. Its more work on your part but it helps. Being a stay at home parent works to your advantage in that regard. As for neighbors getting together, at that price point you are probably going to have an HOAs (mandatory and voluntary). You should inquire with them while you are looking. Many have community pages that you can view to see what they do during the year. You can also get involved once you move in to guide what community building activities are conducted during the year. That is what I did my first few years.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
When I lived in the area, I used to take my children to Fort Foote Park. My oldest made a few friends playing there. Also when your child gets to be about 5, and interested in sports, try to sign them up for teams on the Fort Washington Boys and Girls Clubs. They play all types of sports and I have had quite a few friends that I have known for most of my life from playing with the Boys and Girls Club there.

I also recommend Harmony Hall. They have a lot of activities for kids but be prepared to pay. Also in regards to Oxon Hill Library, there are reading days for the kids around lunch time usually a few times a week. That is another way to get your child out and interacting with other kids.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 AM

Thank you I really appreciate the information and glad found this websiye and asked. Otherwise I probably would pass looking at the area. I will try to visit all places mentioned and then locate a house around maybe.
Oh anyone know of a preschool there? He needs to go one more year to prek.
Where would you dine if you go out? Other than Harbor I mean.
Please write if anything more comes to your mind! Thank you

Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,923 times
Quote:
Where would you dine if you go out? Other than Harbor I mean.
Ft Washington is very close to Old Town Alexandria, just across the Wilson bridge, which has a number of restaurants in every price range.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 PM

49 posts, read 105,419 times
My in-laws live in that area, Kimberly Woods near Harmony Hall. My nieces are kept active in various activities in the area. However for myself it's an area that leaves much to be desired aside from a few child friendly ad-ins at the National Harbor and the Oxon Hill Farm. They were kept active in the Boys and Girls club sports there are activities at Harmony Hall however just as another stated be prepared to pay. ICE is also a good option for kid friendly entertainment in December. Fort Foote Elementary is a good school, I don't know if it still is but at one point it was a Blue Ribbon school, they offer Head start and pre-kindergarten. Potomac Landing is also another one of the better schools in the area. Other than that I have to agree that unfortunately the school system will leave you wanting to look into a private alternative or to supplement as much as you can with extra curricular activities and enrichment, P.G. county has a very hit or miss school system county wide. Schools vary from neighborhood to neighborhood sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland