Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 PM

469 posts, read 550,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Judging by your vernacular (yes, even on an internet forum), its clear that you are a Millennial, America's trophy-for-everyone, work averse, perpetually-aggrieved, boomerang to moms basement generation. Trust me when I say that we "omg!" don't give a crap what "u" have to say. You bring nothing to the table. You epitomize the circling of the drain this country is experiencing when your brain allows your snark to disrespect someone who spent 32 years of his life trying to teach you turds something.

Absolutely worthless and America is suffering because of it.
And yet if we compare salaries I would come out on top..the irony of it all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I disagree. Highly dysfunctional is not accurate at all. Is there mismanagement? Yes. But I think PGCPSS is more salvageable now than it ever was.

"Highly dysfunctional" is what you saw in Detroit. That is not the case here. Ongoing mismanagement certainly doesn't help matters though.
The semantics don't matter, what matters is that we all agree that something is wrong. I don't think PG's motto should be "Hey, we're better than Detroit!" There are developing countries doing better than Detroit.

People want to move to a school district that will have a good pyramid- that is, the elementary, middle school, and high school your child is zoned for are good. PG is not offering this, so most of the middle class and upper middle class people of the region simply write it off. The financial mismanagement, administrative incompetence, and poor physical condition of a lot of the schools doesn't help things, either.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,940,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And you didn't even know that my first paycheck from the system in January of 1984 bounced.
Was John Murphy the county school superintendent when you started working in PG County?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:22 AM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Was John Murphy the county school superintendent when you started working in PG County?
No. He was the 2nd one. Also the one with the longest tenure in my years there.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
I don't know much about PG administration. I do know that when I visited my brother's middle school a few years ago, none of the employees I spoke with had their kids at PG schools.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:07 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know much about PG administration. I do know that when I visited my brother's middle school a few years ago, none of the employees I spoke with had their kids at PG schools.
The teachers that I speak to at Bowie and DuVal do not have their children in PG Schools. Most of them reside in Crofton or Odenton. Some even reside as far as Calvert County.

Flowers is a different story.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 8,440 times
You worked in the PG County school system for 32 years and you say it is unfixable, because they flubbed your insurance??? That just doesn't seem like a valid reason for why the school system is unfixable. Maybe - and this is just a hypothetical -the system will get better as people who have been there for years and have negative attitudes about they system they work for are phased out.

Enjoy your retirement (your pension and your entitlement programs that are placed on backs of the Millenials you loathe, because of the greed and egregious government spending of your peers).

Old 07-22-2015, 01:35 PM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoalinstyle7 View Post
You worked in the PG County school system for 32 years and you say it is unfixable, because they flubbed your insurance??? That just doesn't seem like a valid reason for why the school system is unfixable. Maybe - and this is just a hypothetical -the system will get better as people who have been there for years and have negative attitudes about they system they work for are phased out.

Enjoy your retirement (your pension and your entitlement programs that are placed on backs of the Millenials you loathe, because of the greed and egregious government spending of your peers).
You had trouble following along I see.

I have learned from some of you that pointing out the endemic, multi-generational incompetence of the system's administration is "loathing".

But, apparently, the status quo of building level administrators not showing up until noon, being more involved with their fantasy sports leagues than their schools, the cancelling of already paid for insurance is ok.

As a note, every single paycheck I received had a pension deduction taken from it. I don't know what "entitlements" you mean. I suppose that would be Social Security, which I'm not collecting as yet. You of course know that system is set up pay as you go. I didn't make that rule, nor did you, but you'll also receive that supposed "entitlement".

And not a single one of you who criticized me would tolerate the situation from a private employer. Most of you would be filing a lawsuit.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-22-2015 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 02:18 PM

10 posts, read 8,440 times
No, I follow. You worked in a system that was broke for 32 years and so did many others AND nothing was done to fix it. At some point if you aren't part of solution you are part of the problem (e.g. I'm just going to sit here and collect a check). The concerns you list are valid, but they are definitely fixable. The systemic corruption exists because the residents were complacent, if enough people get pissed off things will change. Also, I can attest to the fact that many young professionals (who happen to be Millenials) are flocking to PG because it is the only county in the DC metropolitan area that is still somewhat affordable. These are young couples with multiple degrees who will not tolerate under-performance in the school system.

Lastly, we deal with wayyy more BS working in the private sector (pension what? insurance coverage, huh? Oh you mean COBRA). My comment about pension/social security was directed at AeroGuy, but yeah we (Millenials) are not going to see any social security. It is common knowledge that social security will be bankrupt in the near future.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You had trouble following along I see.

I have learned from some of you that pointing out the endemic, multi-generational incompetence of the system's administration is "loathing".

But, apparently, the status quo of building level administrators not showing up until noon, being more involved with their fantasy sports leagues than their schools, the cancelling of already paid for insurance is ok.

As a note, every single paycheck I received had a pension deduction taken from it. I don't know what "entitlements" you mean. I suppose that would be Social Security, which I'm not collecting as yet. You of course know that system is set up pay as you go. I didn't make that rule, nor did you, but you'll also receive that supposed "entitlement".

And not a single one of you who criticized me would tolerate the situation from a private employer. Most of you would be filing a lawsuit.
If you had to, could you, or anyone you know, provide documentary evidence of complaints about building administrators that went unheeded/unresolved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland