Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest, I voted for Governor based on a single issue - The Purple Line. Now that Brown lost and Hogan won, I'm concerned that a project that is just about to break ground, may get unnecessarily delayed. The government already put up $100 million. And Maryland has a good chance of receiving up to $900 million in grants for the project. This is after over 10 years of planning for a rail line that was superseded by the building of the ICC thanks to the Ehrlich administration of which Hogan was a part of who shelved light rail for the ICC project. More roads, and one you have to pay to drive on no less.

I'm okay with Hogan as long as he doesn't impede the progress that has already begun on a project that will create jobs and economic development in areas that are desperately in need of those things.

Any other thoughts on what this means for PGC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'll be honest, I voted for Governor based on a single issue - The Purple Line. Now that Brown lost and Hogan won, I'm concerned that a project that is just about to break ground, may get unnecessarily delayed. The government already put up $100 million. And Maryland has a good chance of receiving up to $900 million in grants for the project. This is after over 10 years of planning for a rail line that was superseded by the building of the ICC thanks to the Ehrlich administration of which Hogan was a part of who shelved light rail for the ICC project. More roads, and one you have to pay to drive on no less.

I'm okay with Hogan as long as he doesn't impede the progress that has already begun on a project that will create jobs and economic development in areas that are desperately in need of those things.

Yeah, the PL was one of my biggest concerns as well. Hopefully, it's far enough along at this point that the project won't be scuttled (a la O'Malley inheriting the imminent ICC). Also, I think Hogan knows he'll have a short leash and will be dumped in 4 years like Ehrlich unless he governs as a moderate. Antagonizing MoCo, PG and Baltimore by ruining the planned light rail lines would turn a few hundred thousand registered voters into enemies real quick.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 AM

GGW has a good article on the issue, making 3 key points:
1. Hogan needs to be concerned w/re-election, so that bodes well for the PL
2. his pro-business backers are very much in favor of the PL. "David Moon, an organizer who once ran the Purple Line Now campaign and was just elected to the House of Delegates from the Silver Spring/Takoma Park area, said, "You're not going to be able to [win Hogan over] from a regional DC-suburban perspective, or a liberal transit versus roads perspective," or the environment (he ran against a stormwater fee calling it a "rain tax"). But if businesses are willing to stand up for infrastructure that will generate economic growth, he said, that is more compelling."
3. related to #2, "The cultural vibrancy of the DC area is rapidly consolidating around places like U St., 14th St., Ballston, Clarendon. Tysons and Potomac Yard will invariably follow. We must be candid with ourselves. Except for Silver Spring, Montgomery County has no place today that can realistically compete for the attentions and diverse demands of the all-important Uber Generation."

Can, and will, Governor Hogan kill the Purple Line? - Greater Greater Washington

Old 11-05-2014, 10:27 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
GGW has a good article on the issue, making 3 key points:
1. Hogan needs to be concerned w/re-election, so that bodes well for the PL
2. his pro-business backers are very much in favor of the PL. "David Moon, an organizer who once ran the Purple Line Now campaign and was just elected to the House of Delegates from the Silver Spring/Takoma Park area, said, "You're not going to be able to [win Hogan over] from a regional DC-suburban perspective, or a liberal transit versus roads perspective," or the environment (he ran against a stormwater fee calling it a "rain tax"). But if businesses are willing to stand up for infrastructure that will generate economic growth, he said, that is more compelling."
3. related to #2, "The cultural vibrancy of the DC area is rapidly consolidating around places like U St., 14th St., Ballston, Clarendon. Tysons and Potomac Yard will invariably follow. We must be candid with ourselves. Except for Silver Spring, Montgomery County has no place today that can realistically compete for the attentions and diverse demands of the all-important Uber Generation."

Can, and will, Governor Hogan kill the Purple Line? - Greater Greater Washington
The good thing is Hogan is a real estate developer. He should know how the Purple Line will be a boon for Maryland developers.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:45 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,363 times
Hogan winning is a good move for Maryland.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:24 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

That's definitely one of the reasons why I was a little hesitant on giving Hogan my vote. I seem to recall him advocating for a BRT corridor between the two counties instead I think. I like BRT but this LRT project has to happen. The groundwork planning has already been laid out and financing is on standby, all there needs to be is the green light for construction to commence. As long as Hogan doesn't impede upon all those years of planning for the Purple Line, regress progress made to make Maryland a healthier and beautiful state environmental-wise, and narrow the focus of school funding to MoCo and HoCo, I will feel more comfortable in my vote. Despite being a Republican, he seems tolerable. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yeah, the PL was one of my biggest concerns as well. Hopefully, it's far enough along at this point that the project won't be scuttled (a la O'Malley inheriting the imminent ICC). Also, I think Hogan knows he'll have a short leash and will be dumped in 4 years like Ehrlich unless he governs as a moderate. Antagonizing MoCo, PG and Baltimore by ruining the planned light rail lines would turn a few hundred thousand registered voters into enemies real quick.
Who cares? They didn't vote for him and won't vote for him. Hogan crushed Brown by 9 percentage points by winning the Baltimore suburbs, western Maryland, and the Eastern Shore.

No offense, but the D.C. liberals in PG and Montgomery can go to H. E. double hockey sticks.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Who cares? They didn't vote for him and won't vote for him. Hogan crushed Brown by 9 percentage points by winning the Baltimore suburbs, western Maryland, and the Eastern Shore.

No offense, but the D.C. liberals in PG and Montgomery can go to H. E. double hockey sticks.
No offense but:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w

Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,846 times
Quote:

You sound so immature. People like you make Republicans seem so dislikable. And I'm a democrat who also voted for Hogan and yes I live in PG!!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:

"No offense," but you don't seem to know how elections work. Hogan won in large part because MoCo/PG/Baltimore didn't care enough about Brown to vote. MoCo had its lowest turnout in recent memory - 39%. If Hogan turns around and pisses off the populous/wealthy areas of Maryland, causing them to vote en masse, you can be damn sure he'd get womped in any reelection bid. Every Republican always wins the areas you cited; that obviously was not the deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland