Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 13,022 times

Advertisements

I've been checking out new homes in Upper Marlboro and they look fantastic. A closer option to DC than Waldorf .... but the school system? WTF? I look at the test scores of the high schools and they're terrible!

Does everyone send their kids to private school or what?! Usually when I see bad rated schools, it's in "bad" neighborhoods. This is very confusing to me... Should I just stick to Charles County? Because PG's schools just look very bad after doing research.

I would have considered Bowie, but that area seems mediocre... the houses don't appeal to me as much either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:25 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,378 times
Mediocre compared to Upper Marlboro? lol

Old 06-09-2016, 12:00 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,873 times
you sound like your just complaining and dissing pgcounty. i think you already know this information you just trying to start a argument. true the schools arent good thats obvious. what your point? and bowie is mediocre? lol its all mediocre

Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpithueban View Post
I've been checking out new homes in Upper Marlboro and they look fantastic. A closer option to DC than Waldorf .... but the school system? WTF? I look at the test scores of the high schools and they're terrible!

Does everyone send their kids to private school or what?! Usually when I see bad rated schools, it's in "bad" neighborhoods. This is very confusing to me... Should I just stick to Charles County? Because PG's schools just look very bad after doing research.

I would have considered Bowie, but that area seems mediocre... the houses don't appeal to me as much either.
Many people don't realize that even black middle class students don't do particurly well. The test scores aren't a mirage. In fact I've heard that even private schools in PG are deteriorating. I had a friend that was looking to put her son into McNamara. She wasn't impressed.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:44 PM

662 posts, read 782,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Many people don't realize that even black middle class students don't do particurly well. The test scores aren't a mirage. In fact I've heard that even private schools in PG are deteriorating. I had a friend that was looking to put her son into McNamara. She wasn't impressed.

That's a lie. Most middle class and upper middle class families in pg go to private school and not all private schools are built the same obviously. That is a silly assumption.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:01 AM

377 posts, read 665,069 times
Bowie is a perfectly good area. Whitehall Elementary school is rated a 9, Samuel Ogle Middle is a 7, only issue is Bowie HS at a 5.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:03 AM

7 posts, read 13,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
you sound like your just complaining and dissing pgcounty. i think you already know this information you just trying to start a argument. true the schools arent good thats obvious. what your point? and bowie is mediocre? lol its all mediocre
Actually, you numbskull, I am trying to figure out how is it that such lavish houses are being built in areas that I've always heard were considered lower class. For all I know the school system could be getting better, but it isn't reflected on these online stats. Or maybe there are parts of PG that I don't know are considered "good areas" and I'm seeking clarification from a forum. Ever thought of that, wise ass?

I'm black, so let me throw that out there before some idiot want's come jump on me about racism.

I would really like to move into the new homes being built in Marlboro, (A, they're nice, B they're affordable, and C, there closer to DC than Waldorf) but I don't want to have a nice house in a crap school system. I plan on having a family soon, so that matters to me. ESPECIALLY high schools.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:04 AM

662 posts, read 782,939 times
Quote:
Actually, you numbskull, I am trying to figure out how is it that such lavish houses are being built in areas that I've always heard were considered lower class. For all I know the school system could be getting better, but it isn't reflected on these online stats. Or maybe there are parts of PG that I don't know are considered "good areas" and I'm seeking clarification from a forum. Ever thought of that, wise ass?

I'm black, so let me throw that out there before some idiot want's come jump on me about racism.

I would really like to move into the new homes being built in Marlboro, (A, they're nice, B they're affordable, and C, there closer to DC than Waldorf) but I don't want to have a nice house in a crap school system. I plan on having a family soon, so that matters to me. ESPECIALLY high schools.
Everything isn't as black and white as a test score. Standardized testing has its faults.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:09 AM

45,343 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
That's a lie. Most middle class and upper middle class families in pg go to private school and not all private schools are built the same obviously. That is a silly assumption.

That's not totally incorrect or anything.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM

25 posts, read 59,314 times
Quote:

Perhaps the people who were telling you PG is "lower class" have never been to PG county? Or maybe just to the bad areas right outside the District? This is a big county, not all parts are awful. My NOVA coworkers are always stunned when I show them a picture of the house we bought here, for around 300K less than what we would have paid in NOVA. Apparently everyone who is not a PG resident, thinks PG county is one big housing project.

We live in Bowie (20720), and it is a far cry from the "low class" label. Our neighbors are all white collar professionals. My only complaint with PG is the lack of shopping/dining choices and the horrible customer service that passes for acceptable here (and living in an HOA community, but that is for another thread). We go to Annapolis or other places in Anne Arundel county when we need something (Wegmans, Whole Foods, etc).

I personally would not choose Upper Marlboro because of traffic congestion on 301 and 4, plus it is not close to the MARC trains or metro for commutability into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland