Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2023, 04:47 PM

127 posts, read 70,157 times

Advertisements

How far out do you think Montgomery County would sprawl along the Potomac if the agricultural reserve were never established? Would all of MoCo have been urbanized without it? What other impacts would this have had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 09:48 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
Would all of MoCo have been urbanized without it?
Urbanized? No. But largely developed w/SFH sprawl like you see on the VA side of the river (Ashburn, Leesburg, etc.).

Old 07-31-2023, 05:40 AM

1,202 posts, read 789,941 times
Would definitely see development all around Poolesville. Not urbanized but probably will look similar to North Potomac.

Maybe we may even got a bridge across Potomac between Poolesville area and Sterling.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:16 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Urbanized? No. But largely developed w/SFH sprawl like you see on the VA side of the river (Ashburn, Leesburg, etc.).
I'm not sure Poolesville would have become like Ashburn. Part of the reason Ashburn/Leesburg became what it is is because it's close to Dulles, has direct freeway access to D.C/Tysons, and was near a lot of developing tech job centers. Poolesville doesn't have any of that. Without the Ag Reserve there might be slightly more development in Western Moco but nowhere near the Loudoun County Boom. The residents in that area seem to for the most part want to keep it semi-rural, and most of them are against a bridge going to Loudoun County, and Definetely against metro which Ashburn now has.

Old 08-02-2023, 04:12 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm not sure Poolesville would have become like Ashburn. Part of the reason Ashburn/Leesburg became what it is is because it's close to Dulles, has direct freeway access to D.C/Tysons, and was near a lot of developing tech job centers. Poolesville doesn't have any of that. Without the Ag Reserve there might be slightly more development in Western Moco but nowhere near the Loudoun County Boom. The residents in that area seem to for the most part want to keep it semi-rural, and most of them are against a bridge going to Loudoun County, and Definetely against metro which Ashburn now has.
Development pushed up against the Ag, then jumped over it to Frederick and Howard, so I'm not sure why you think the hole in the donut wouldn't also be filled if developers had a chance. An Urbana or Maple Lawn would be plopped on that Ag farmland tomorrow if it was allowed.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:27 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Development pushed up against the Ag, then jumped over it to Frederick and Howard, so I'm not sure why you think the hole in the donut wouldn't also be filled if developers had a chance. An Urbana or Maple Lawn would be plopped on that Ag farmland tomorrow if it was allowed.
Tomorrow? By midnight tonight.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:57 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Tough to say. It still gives me Davidsonville vibes. Even despite the AG, seems like people in western MOCO want to keep it semi rural.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:15 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Tough to say. It still gives me Davidsonville vibes. Even despite the AG, seems like people in western MOCO want to keep it semi rural.
Some of that has also been mandated by the State over the last several decades starting with Shafer's Maryland 2020 through Glendenning's Smart Growth to O' Malley's PlanMD.

About ten or fifteen years ago each County had to tier its land related to sewer and water (W/S) availability. Tier 1was where W/S was already available. Tier 2 was where central W/S was planned in the County's W/S plan. Tier 3 was where development on well and septic was allowed but there are minimum lot size requirements for individual well and septic and any development over, if I remember, fifteen units had to have a development W/S system installed to then be turned over to the County. Tier 4 was basically permanent non-developable reserve-woodlands, wetlands (both permanent and seasonal) steep slopes and agricultural.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:18 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
No doubt, just like a developer would offer some farmers money they couldn't refuse and start the core of Urbana 2.0.......or really woulda shoulda version 1.0.........the Ag. zone is why Urbana exists as another poster has pointed out.

You don't have to go far outside the Urbana core to find multi-acre lots mixed with farmland, but those places are mostly pre-Urbana homes that popped up in the 1990s. I am sure Poolesville would keep places like this if the Ag. Reserve was dissolved tomorrow, the lot size would still be attractive and people would pay for the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland