Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 AM

11 posts, read 57,552 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Europe to the US and really would like to live in Olney MD, but there are some issues...
First in Olney there are only one apartment community (is it true? If not, please give me some contacts to another apartment/condos for rent in Olney) and the menagement told us, that we have to rent a two bedroom apartment because we are 3 of us (we have a 5 year ol son), but the problem is that we will not be able to rent a 2 bdr apt at the beginning because we will not have enoug income, and will need one bedroom (is it possible for us to convince the mnagement to give us a one bedroon, although we have a child?)

Second-the rentals are very, very expensive. Do you think we can find something for about 1000-1100$/month? And if yes, where i should search for? Local newspaper or what?

Third- If it is not possible to go in Olney, which closer town wiil you reccomend, that looks just like Olney ?

We are in so much stress because of moving and really need your help. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Look around on this site for affordable apartments:

Kettler | Affordable Apartment Program | KETTLER - Apartments, Condos, Planned Communities, and Mixed-Use/Commercial Properties in the Greater Washington, DC-metro region (http://www.kettler.com/apartments/affordable_apartments_program/ - broken link)

Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaava View Post
We are moving from Europe to the US and really would like to live in Olney MD, but there are some issues...
First in Olney there are only one apartment community (is it true? If not, please give me some contacts to another apartment/condos for rent in Olney) and the menagement told us, that we have to rent a two bedroom apartment because we are 3 of us (we have a 5 year ol son), but the problem is that we will not be able to rent a 2 bdr apt at the beginning because we will not have enoug income, and will need one bedroom (is it possible for us to convince the mnagement to give us a one bedroon, although we have a child?)

Second-the rentals are very, very expensive. Do you think we can find something for about 1000-1100$/month? And if yes, where i should search for? Local newspaper or what?

Third- If it is not possible to go in Olney, which closer town wiil you reccomend, that looks just like Olney ?

We are in so much stress because of moving and really need your help. Thank you in advance!
I grew up an Olney and can vouch that its one of the nicer areas in Montgomery county... That being said you are not going to find a 2br apartment for $1100/month or less... I was paying $1100/month for a 1 bedroom apartment 1.5 hours away from DC...

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of MD, it is oppressively expensive...

You are just not going to find what you are looking for in as nice of a town as Olney in that price range...

Germantown and Gaithersburg are both very rent friendly areas but will still be on the expensive side and won't be as nice as Olney...

What brings you to MD anyway? I would probably look elsewhere if you could...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks guys!

I could not find anythig in Olney there- Kettler | Affordable Apartment Program | KETTLER - Apartments, Condos, Planned Communities, and Mixed-Use/Commercial Properties in the Greater Washington, DC-metro region (http://www.kettler.com/apartments/affordable_apartments_program/ - broken link)

To tercel 95- Are there in Olney more apartment community besides Tamarron apartments? And do you think we will be able to rent a one bedroom apartment, although we are 3 of us (at Tamarron told us, that they not allow three people to rent one bedroom apartment, it shold have to be a two bedroom (but we are OK with one bdr)

About Germantown and Gaithersburg- as you said, they are not so lovely as Olney and this is not an option for us... It will be perfect if we could rent one bedroom for about 1000-1100$/month if the menagement of the building allow us to do that!

Maybe we will consider Columbia MD, but the problem there is the crime rate is very high! And i am not familiar with that area,and do not know which neighbourhoods and zip codes have good schools and are SAFE to raise a child ((

Looking forward for your replies!

P.S. Are there in the local newspaper in Olney we can find some private home rentals?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys!

I could not find anythig in Olney there- Kettler | Affordable Apartment Program | KETTLER - Apartments, Condos, Planned Communities, and Mixed-Use/Commercial Properties in the Greater Washington, DC-metro region (http://www.kettler.com/apartments/affordable_apartments_program/ - broken link)

To tercel 95- Are there in Olney more apartment community besides Tamarron apartments? And do you think we will be able to rent a one bedroom apartment, although we are 3 of us (at Tamarron told us, that they not allow three people to rent one bedroom apartment, it shold have to be a two bedroom (but we are OK with one bdr)

About Germantown and Gaithersburg- as you said, they are not so lovely as Olney and this is not an option for us... It will be perfect if we could rent one bedroom for about 1000-1100$/month if the menagement of the building allow us to do that!

Maybe we will consider Columbia MD, but the problem there is the crime rate is very high! And i am not familiar with that area,and do not know which neighbourhoods and zip codes have good schools and are SAFE to raise a child ((

Looking forward for your replies!

P.S. Are there in the local newspaper in Olney we can find some private home rentals?
I am pretty sure that you are out of luck here... Olney is an expensive place to live and for that reason there aren't a whole lot of apartment complexes there... I know a lot of complexes have occupant restrictions based on the size of apartment you have... They don't want 10 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment... Even if you were to find private rentals they are going to be out of your price range...

What brings you to that part of MD anyway? Would you be willing to live further away from the city? Where are you going to work?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 AM

We are moving from eastern Europe. We do not have work yet. I am a nurse, but I have to sit for some exams before I will be able to work in the US and my husband is not picky about the work, but he has to earn about 10$ or more an hour to be able to support us while I study for my exams. How many are the apartment complexes? In internet i saw only Tamarron apartments, but I do not belive they have only one apartment community?! And we are only three of us, we are not ten people, I do not see the problem to live ina one bedroom ((

Could you tell me more about Columbia. Maybe we will consider Columbia too..I don't know.... I am so confused....

Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
We are moving from eastern Europe. We do not have work yet. I am a nurse, but I have to sit for some exams before I will be able to work in the US and my husband is not picky about the work, but he has to earn about 10$ or more an hour to be able to support us while I study for my exams. How many are the apartment complexes? In internet i saw only Tamarron apartments, but I do not belive they have only one apartment community?! And we are only three of us, we are not ten people, I do not see the problem to live ina one bedroom ((

Could you tell me more about Columbia. Maybe we will consider Columbia too..I don't know.... I am so confused....
I know you are not 10 people I was just saying that is why the rule is in place... I don't know of any other apartment complexes that do rentals only condos...

My main question is what is drawing you to MD or the DC metro area? There are lots of nice places to live all over the US where you won't be stifled by the cost of living... You have many other options if you want a nice quiet place to live with good schools...

My Mom is a nurse and lives in Southern MD, you are lucky and have a job that will be in demand all over the US... I recently moved to FL because I just couldn't afford living in MD even though I spent my entire life up to two months ago there...

MD tends to only work out for wealthy people...

Old 08-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
MD tends to only work out for wealthy people...
Unfortunately it seems you are right...

I used to live in Olney 6 years ago. I was a babysitter in a family and know the area very well. I consider the place is beautiful and safe, that is why we decided to move just there. it will be very stressful if we go elsewhere, because we will not know anything about the place..
Besides, my mom is living in new York and we would like to be closer to her. Which other places in the country you think are similar to Olney, with good schools and relatively safe?

Where in Florida are you living at? I have always wanted to live in a all the year warm place But I know nothing about Florida..

Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately it seems you are right...

I used to live in Olney 6 years ago. I was a babysitter in a family and know the area very well. I consider the place is beautiful and safe, that is why we decided to move just there. it will be very stressful if we go elsewhere, because we will not know anything about the place..
Besides, my mom is living in new York and we would like to be closer to her. Which other places in the country you think are similar to Olney, with good schools and relatively safe?

Where in Florida are you living at? I have always wanted to live in a all the year warm place But I know nothing about Florida..
I live right outside of Jacksonville... For reference I was paying $1100/month for a dumpy 1 bed apt in Southern MD 600 sq/ft... In FL I have a 2 br 2 bath 1200 sq/ft apartment in a nice community with many amenities for $800/month...

I spent time in Silver Spring, Olney and in Southern MD... While I didn't really care for montgomery county, I really do miss Southern MD, it was nice, laid back, more affordable than other places in MD, had great public schools, and there were plenty of jobs...

The job market here in JAX isn't as good as MD but I had no trouble finding a job as a software developer... I finally feel like I am getting my moneys worth out of where I live... Its a shame that I spent 21 years of my life in MD but was pushed out because I just couldn't afford to live there...

If you want more info about JAX feel free to DM me I can give you the whole run down...

Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 15,448 times
Hello:

About 3 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment is not allowed because of Housing regulation. I used to work in apartment complexes here in FL and it is the same. The rules are : 1-2 people in 1 BR, 2-4 ina 2br and 5 -6 in a 3BR. About Florida let me tell you, rents are cheaper than in the North, but the employment situation is really bad down here, the unemployment rate is high. i am trying to relocate to MD, Washington DC, or NY. Not luck yet. I would like to know if you already moved to MD and how are you doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland