Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:24 AM

6,747 posts, read 6,733,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
Crime in B'more isn't that different than DC. It's concentrated in particular areas.
what?

Baltimore has had nearly twice as many homicides this year as DC. And unlike DC, where 3/4s of the murders occur on the 1/4 of the land east of the Anacostia, there are no large swaths of Baltimore that are safe, just isolated pockets here and there.

Don't care how cheap it is, you couldn't pay me to live in Harm City.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Cities can learn things from one another, but DC should not be any version of San Francisco.
Why shouldn't our nation's capital be a place with a vibrant economy, strong global culture, and desirable place for people to live? I don't think we should aspire to return to the nickname murder capital just to "keep it real".

DC trumps Baltimore in all regards listed except that it's more expensive and Baltimore has a stronger underground arts scene.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:53 PM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why shouldn't our nation's capital be a place with a vibrant economy, strong global culture, and desirable place for people to live? I don't think we should aspire to return to the nickname murder capital just to "keep it real".

DC trumps Baltimore in all regards listed except that it's more expensive and Baltimore has a stronger underground arts scene.

because San Francisco is way to overpriced.
would you want to pay $700,000 for a small 900 sqft condo?
And if it becomes that expensive it loses all its diversity.
San fran is 8% black and so will dc if it gets that expensive.
All the African Americans in SF moved to nearby Oakland and Probably all the blacks here will move to Baltimore which only increases crime even more in b-more.
Plus the people in SF are really ANNOYING.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't our nation's capital be a place with a vibrant economy, strong global culture, and desirable place for people to live?
Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong with those things. DC is a much more interesting city to me than SF. That's what I meant.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
because San Francisco is way to overpriced.
would you want to pay $700,000 for a small 900 sqft condo?
And if it becomes that expensive it loses all its diversity.
San fran is 8% black and so will dc if it gets that expensive.
All the African Americans in SF moved to nearby Oakland and Probably all the blacks here will move to Baltimore which only increases crime even more in b-more.
Plus the people in SF are really ANNOYING.
Who cares if DC becomes 8% black? If they can't afford the prices, and aren't doing anything to improve the quality of life in the city, go move to Baltimore I say.

How is a city any more diverse when it's majority black?

And SF people are annoying? That is irreverent and can't even properly be judged....

Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Who cares if DC becomes 8% black? If they can't afford the prices, and aren't doing anything to improve the quality of life in the city, go move to Baltimore I say.

How is a city any more diverse when it's majority black?

And SF people are annoying? That is irreverent and can't even properly be judged....

It just has to do with the historical aspect of it.
when 80% of blacks were free in DC and no other city south of the Mason Dixon line had that it would be sad to watch em get up and move to Baltimore
when they were here since the city was built.
HELLO MR.GENTRIFICATION!!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
It just has to do with the historical aspect of it.
when 80% of blacks were free in DC and no other city south of the Mason Dixon line had that it would be sad to watch em get up and move to Baltimore
when they were here since the city was built.
HELLO MR.GENTRIFICATION!!
Well you just said it yourself, when they leave they will take the crime with them to B-more. If that's the case then leave! Good riddance...

Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Well you just said it yourself, when they leave they will take the crime with them to B-more. If that's the case then leave! Good riddance...
I don't know how I ever got a racial impression about you...

Seriously - both you and Cainanomar should spend some time in DC and check out how many "gentrfication" businesses cater predominantly to black clientele. I think you'd both be surprised the role blacks play in gentrifying DC.

People driven out by gentrification tend to go to PG County, not Baltimore. Baltimore's too far, unlike Oakland. Much of Baltimore's gentrification has been driven by yuppies willing to endure that commute for city life but not the cost of DC.

Whatever happens to DC will happen, but race-based arguments are rather arbitrarily based on how far back one chooses to go to determine which race(s) were predominant.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I don't know how I ever got a racial impression about you...

Seriously - both you and Cainanomar should spend some time in DC and check out how many "gentrfication" businesses cater predominantly to black clientele. I think you'd both be surprised the role blacks play in gentrifying DC.

People driven out by gentrification tend to go to PG County, not Baltimore. Baltimore's too far, unlike Oakland. Much of Baltimore's gentrification has been driven by yuppies willing to endure that commute for city life but not the cost of DC.

Whatever happens to DC will happen, but race-based arguments are rather arbitrarily based on how far back one chooses to go to determine which race(s) were predominant.
Why do you only point me out, when obviously the guy before me brought up the whole race thing....hmmmm...

Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,957,399 times
LOL D.C. 8% black, over my dead body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC