Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times

Advertisements

From my understanding the peak of the peak starts next week for afternoon commute 4:30-6:00 and they'll start the morning peak of the peak in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
From my understanding the peak of the peak starts next week for afternoon commute 4:30-6:00 and they'll start the morning peak of the peak in September.
Yes, I think that's how it is going to roll out. Assumign no systemwide computer crashes or anything like that...

Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Unless someone did something to you personally, why would you want to confront rudeness on Metro?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Not sure about inefficient, but it can certainly be confusing. I wish Metro would adopt the same concept with their system maps that London has, which basically breaks down the entire system into zones. That way you quickly know what your fare is going to be when travelling within a zone, or from zone to zone.

BTW, since we're talking about Metro fares, it seems that the implementation of the new "peak of the peak" fare hikes is going to be somewhat delayed, because the turnstile computers aren't capable of processing all of these new fare computations. It makes you wonder: if Metro's computers can't keep up with all of the new fare scenarios, how will riders?
The pricing system creates a logjam of tourists trying to figure out what to do at the vending machines.

Another problem is that the paper cards seem to get ruined or demagnetized easily.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
The pricing system creates a logjam of tourists trying to figure out what to do at the vending machines.

Another problem is that the paper cards seem to get ruined or demagnetized easily.
A lot of people feel that tourists should carry more of the burden of riding a metro system that they don't directly pay taxes on.

Although I've always felt that DC area residents have an unfair disdain for tourists. Because unlike other tourist towns there's more interaction between locals and tourists? I don't know.

The thing that's always annoyed me about metro, and will probably keep me from becoming a regular user as I try to find a job in the city, is the lack of monthly passes. Raise the fare for not so regular users and tourists and give the workers a break.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM

10 posts, read 18,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
DC Metro is the only system that does it.
Also BART, IIRC. BART farecards are also interchangable with WMATA farecards, except that the original fare payment would go to the wrong entity.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitacx View Post
Also BART, IIRC. BART farecards are also interchangable with WMATA farecards, except that the original fare payment would go to the wrong entity.
Seriously? That's crazy. Although now I want to try it.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
A lot of people feel that tourists should carry more of the burden of riding a metro system that they don't directly pay taxes on.
I was under the impression that Metro has received substantial Federal subsidies. Besides, most jurisdictions have substantial taxes targeting tourists.

My personal take is that the system and fare structure should be configured to the benefit of tourists, including all-day farecards being valid for all hours, fares that do not require "to/from" determinations, etc. If this results in a deficit in collection of fares from commuters, that can be picked up in local taxes.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
NYC's subway ... but I believe vendors should be allowed to sell newpapers, magazines, food, and drinks in metro stations ...
That is addressed here. Basically, since eating and drinking has always been perfectly legal in Virginia, Virginia should benefit from the Kiosk space and not have to pay for keeping these spaces unused when calculating subsidies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
Hell make the fare between 12am-5am 5 bucks per ride and run a train every 30 minutes. Closing the system at midnight is a big inconvenience.
That is a great idea! I'd say even more -- something like $9.00 for entry before/after our current hours. I wonder if that would partially offset the additional cost. For one thing, the higher fare would allow 2 and 4 car trains.

As to nighttime track maintenance, that should not be a problem because with trains running at 1/2 hour intervals, they can efficiently run on single track through areas being maintained.

Incidentally, most of NYC cannot accommodate alternate track service either, because express tracks, even where they exist, don't have local stops, not to mention stations without crossovers between the sides of the station for uptown trains and downtown trains.

Last edited by unitacx; 07-30-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitacx View Post
As to nighttime track maintenance, that should not be a problem because with trains running at 1/2 hour intervals, they can efficiently run on single track through areas being maintained.
First of all, Metro says otherwise. Secondly, there is not sufficient demand for 24 hour subway service here. It wouldn't matter if they charged $20 per ride, it wouldn't offset the cost of adding 5 hours of operating time to the system every day--particularly during a time when Metro is routinely exploring service cuts, including delaying the opening of the system to 6 AM (where it was until a few years prior).

There is a reason that NYC is the only American city with 24 hour full system subway service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC