Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 PM

54 posts, read 72,471 times

Advertisements

Well, see, that's what I had been expecting--that because the east is less dependent on cars and there are more pedestrians, the drivers would be more inclined to look out for pedestrians. But this is the opposite of what I experienced. I live in Las Vegas (have also lived in Los Angeles and Oregon), and although some cars go right through the crosswalk when a pedestrian is trying to cross, the majority will stop. When I was in DC, I tried to cross at a crosswalk that was unaccompanied by a stop sign or stop light about four times, and every time, not one single car out of hundreds stopped. It's not a simple matter of I'm basing my moving decision on some traffic rule thing; it's a matter of I don't want to move somewhere where every resident is arrogant enough to think the rules don't apply to him or her. Now, it sounds like from some of the other posts, that this is just the way it is along the whole east coast--it's just one of those cultural differences.

No, I'm not going to start crossing in the crosswalk before traffic has stopped--that wouldn't really be that safe, would it? And yes, I had made myself visible to the drivers.

A bikeshare program. That would be great, if I didn't have a sneaking suspicion that the drivers would have the same amount of awareness of bikers as they do of pedestrians. The subway system is great, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 12:56 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
Well, see, that's what I had been expecting--that because the east is less dependent on cars and there are more pedestrians, the drivers would be more inclined to look out for pedestrians. But this is the opposite of what I experienced. I live in Las Vegas (have also lived in Los Angeles and Oregon), and although some cars go right through the crosswalk when a pedestrian is trying to cross, the majority will stop. When I was in DC, I tried to cross at a crosswalk that was unaccompanied by a stop sign or stop light about four times, and every time, not one single car out of hundreds stopped. It's not a simple matter of I'm basing my moving decision on some traffic rule thing; it's a matter of I don't want to move somewhere where every resident is arrogant enough to think the rules don't apply to him or her. Now, it sounds like from some of the other posts, that this is just the way it is along the whole east coast--it's just one of those cultural differences.

No, I'm not going to start crossing in the crosswalk before traffic has stopped--that wouldn't really be that safe, would it? And yes, I had made myself visible to the drivers.

A bikeshare program. That would be great, if I didn't have a sneaking suspicion that the drivers would have the same amount of awareness of bikers as they do of pedestrians. The subway system is great, though.
I'll be perfectly honest. Cars passing by pedestrians even when they have the right of way.....is only the tip of the iceberg.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
A bikeshare program. That would be great, if I didn't have a sneaking suspicion that the drivers would have the same amount of awareness of bikers as they do of pedestrians.

Stunned DC reacts to fatal cyclist-military vehicle collision near nuclear summit - National Bicycle Transportation | Examiner.com

Bicyclist killed by garbage truck at 20th & Conn. - Greater Greater Washington

Police Identify Bicyclist Killed on Southern Avenue | ABC 7 News

'Ride of Silence' to honor D.C.-area bicyclists recently killed on the road

Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:

A bikeshare program. That would be great, if I didn't have a sneaking suspicion that the drivers would have the same amount of awareness of bikers as they do of pedestrians.
As far as the car-pedestrian thing goes, it'd definitely got to be an East Cost thing (or a Northeast/Mid-Atlantic) thing. I'm aware that pedestrians have the right of way, and if they're in the road I'll let them go, but if someone's on the sidewalk it honestly doesn't occur to me that I should stop. That's the way it is where I grew up so I've never known anything different. I actually get nervous when someone stops for me, because I'm not quite sure what they're doing.

As far as bikes, some people aren't great around them, but I find most bike riders to be complete jerks on the road. They run red lights, hit pedestrians (yes, I've been hit), and ride wherever they please regardless of safety. Not all bikers are like this, I've seen several who know what they're doing, but the majority are horrible. Frankly, I'm more afraid of them than drivers.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
You should post this on the Las Vegas forum - that Vegas drivers are good, and east coast drivers are bad.

Out on the Vegas forums, they are convinced that Vegas has the worst drivers of the nation. (I've followed that forum for a long time, and that is a constant theme there).

Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I'd rather be deployed to Afghanistan than ride a bike around DC. Or any big city, really.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
I live in Las Vegas (have also lived in Los Angeles and Oregon), and although some cars go right through the crosswalk when a pedestrian is trying to cross, the majority will stop. When I was in DC, I tried to cross at a crosswalk that was unaccompanied by a stop sign or stop light about four times, and every time, not one single car out of hundreds stopped.
I've driven in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. And yeah, D.C. area drivers are not as courteous to pedestrians as most drivers in those cities. The west coast just has a more easygoing culture than around here.

Montgomery County, Maryland has recently put conditional stop signs in many places in the middle of streets with crosswalks. This has gotten drivers to yield to pedestrians trying to cross. Photo-enforced speed limits have also gotten drivers to slow down on many of these streets.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-24-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 10:34 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
DC is populated by narcissists who think the world revolves around them, so you are getting in their way if they are trying to make a turn and you are in the crosswalk.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
DC is populated by narcissists who think the world revolves around them, so you are getting in their way if they are trying to make a turn and you are in the crosswalk.
But it's not limited to D.C. All the large east coast cities appear to have these same issues. NYC and north Jersey drivers are the worst offenders, IMO.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I walk all over this city and have not had any of these problems. Are you sure you all are talking about DC itself and not the suburbs? Cars are generally pretty accommodating here to pedestrians and pedestrians definitely make themselves a known force. Maybe I'm just a more aggressive walker and make cars stop for me. I don't tend to wait if I have the ROW unless they're flying really fast. It tends to not occur to people to stop if there's no intersection (I don't think it's necessarily an aggressive act. I've been driving and suddenly looked over to see a pedestrian waiting).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC