Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 AM

76 posts, read 299,157 times

Advertisements

DC's problems are exaccerbated by its "colonial" status. DC used to require city employees to live in the District, but the congressional delegations from MD and VA worked to get rid of the requirement. Similarly, a commuter tax, which would give DC funds to deal with concentrated social problems, cannot ever happen because of Congressional oversight.

I would say that it is miraculous that DC has improved so much since the 1990s given its political burdens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,251,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
DC's problems are exaccerbated by its "colonial" status. DC used to require city employees to live in the District, but the congressional delegations from MD and VA worked to get rid of the requirement. Similarly, a commuter tax, which would give DC funds to deal with concentrated social problems, cannot ever happen because of Congressional oversight.

I would say that it is miraculous that DC has improved so much since the 1990s given its political burdens.
Can't say that I'd agree with a commuter tax. I think paying taxes for the place in which you live in is fair. I say that as someone who happens to know plenty of people who live and work in two different jurisdictions. I also say that as someone who contemplates following suit.

More and more people have suburban jobs but don't want to give up their urban social lives. I'm kinda in that category despite living in Arlington but I'd probably move to Capitol Hill and keep working in Fairfax if the evening rush hour traffic wasn't so bad.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM

999 posts, read 2,012,979 times
And you know what? People who live in Wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and some parts of Ward 6 could care less about the plight of poor, black people in southeast DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post

Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM

159 posts, read 280,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
And you know what? People who live in Wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and some parts of Ward 6 could care less about the plight of poor, black people in southeast DC.
So why comment on the thread then
How do you know people in Wards 1-6 don't care?
You may have a point but you can't back it up with facts!

Besides Ward 3, there are poor people in the other Wards as well.

Whether people wanna accept it or not Ward 7 and Ward 8 are apart of DC too and makes up 25% of the city.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
So why comment on the thread then
How do you know people in Wards 1-6 don't care?
You may have a point but you can't back it up with facts!

Besides Ward 3, there are poor people in the other Wards as well.

Whether people wanna accept it or not Ward 7 and Ward 8 are apart of DC too and makes up 25% of the city.
I don't think anyone is NOT accepting Ward 7 and 8. I think more should be done to examine WHY the unemployment rate is so high in those neighborhoods and look at ways to improve things. I can guess but I'm no sociologist.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,461,820 times
There is more preferential local hiring, vocational training programs, community advocacy organizations, social programs, free resources and job opportunities in this area than just about any other city in the country. I don't know how anyone can say 'we need more'. More isn't working.

I'm liberal, but DC is a case study for abusing the system and wasteful social programs that help no one. At some point we need to stop throwing money away on these crutches and make people stand on their own. We are subsidizing a culture of unemployment.

If Marion Barry is successful in aligning DC's TANF limits with federal limits and House Republicans hold strong to cutting public housing funding and tenant based rent subsidies, then I suspect the unemployment rate would ultimately decrease in Ward 8.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
There is more preferential local hiring, vocational training programs, community advocacy organizations, social programs, free resources and job opportunities in this area than just about any other city in the country. I don't know how anyone can say 'we need more'. More isn't working.

I'm liberal, but DC is a case study for abusing the system and wasteful social programs that help no one. At some point we need to stop throwing money away on these crutches and make people stand on their own. We are subsidizing a culture of unemployment.

If Marion Barry is successful in aligning DC's TANF limits with federal limits and House Republicans hold strong to cutting public housing funding and tenant based rent subsidies, then I suspect the unemployment rate would ultimately decrease in Ward 8.
Interesting so you say that there are more than enough social programs to help the poor. Well one does have to want to help oneself. I think that the poor shouldn't be forgotten about but I think helping people work is better than just handouts and welfare.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,718,513 times
Ward 5 has some significant poverty, so does Ward 6.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,867,362 times
I'm pretty sure they compared Ward 8 with other bad areas in other cities.
Thing is though, DC is one of the only places that doesn't have a time limit on welfare (TANF).

well that's where your main problem is.

You have a bunch of people who sit outside all day not doing anything.
Just take a ride up and down MLK ave or Good Hope rd and see for yourself.

what incentive do they have to work if they get a house and food just by sitting on their butt or back? that's just common sense. there's actually incentive NOT to work. would you trade government housing and food allowance for a $8 an hour mcdonald's job?

Also you gotta look at it like this too.
People in the suburbs take jobs from DC residents in ALL job fields whether its retail or management.

i disagree. people who want jobs take jobs from people who don't want jobs, whether it's retail or management. when you have people with degrees working in retail and low end service fields, you have to step your game up if you really want to get employed. it's hard out there for everyone.

Look at a green line train in the morning. Before it even reaches Anacostia or Congress Heights from Branch ave its damn near or all the way full and from the looks of things not everyone is wearing a suit or rocking business apparel....

proves my earlier point. people who want jobs will find a way to get to where they need to be in the city. you think those trains are all full of government workers and contractors? nope. lots of folks get on that train to work retail or service jobs in the city. those hotels don't staff themselves and the buildings don't fix or repair themselves.

Not saying this situation doesn't happen in other cities, because it does, people in DC have it easier.
The majority of these welfare mom are steadily having babies back to back just to get money on their EBT cards at the beginning of the month.
There are plenty of people faking disabilities to collect SSI checks on the 1st of the month.

you're talking about two different programs. ssi and welfare are two totally different programs.

and idk if anyone else has noticed but DC is very much a drug dealing city. I'm willing to say 1 out of every 15 black people in DC sells drugs, probably 1:7 in ward 8.

i'm willing to say you have lost your mind. every major city in america has a drug problem that crosses racial lines. just because jermaine smokes weed rolled in blunts and rebecca and Thad smoke bongs, doesn't mean that one is better than the other. i'd be willing to say 1 out of every 15 people in dc does drus, regardless of ward.

Why do you think all these people who live in the projects or on section 8 vouchers be wearing expensive clothes and shoes? If you are low income how in the hell can you afford a $350 north face jacket and $200 Nike Foams? or $150 true religion jeans?

because black people are america's #1 consumers. it has nothing to do with if they sell drugs or any of that other nonsense. we don't invest in our communities (hence the reason you will see no less than 5 asian carry outs and liquor stores in every black locale throughout the city), we don't save, and we spend way too much time on trying to "floss". if we make a $100, $85 of it will be spent on stuff that won't bring us back any return on our investment. of course, these are all generalizations and not applicable to all but you get the gist of what i am saying.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,918,416 times
Quote:
Ward 8 is a little to big to be a neighborhood, more like a small town. El Centro has about 20-30K less people than Ward 8 as well.

The solution is to starting hiring more DC residents and create Ward based jobs.
If a Walmart has to open in Ward 8 than priority should go to people who live in ward 8 and maybe ward 7 as well, not the other wards in the city or PG county.
Yeah, that plan worked soooo great for Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC