Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM

159 posts, read 280,094 times

Advertisements

Three dead, seven injured in burst of violence in D.C. - The Washington Post

looks like crews are feuding again.
summer will be here soon enough.
slow train comin'....

edit**
Murder count is now up to four.
Violent night in D.C.: 4 dead, 5 hurt in 5 incidents (Map) - @TBD Latest | TBD.com

Last edited by Lil Tunechi; 04-07-2011 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
DC's murder rate is at 1960's level lows. The city has never been better considering violence is where it was when the Supremes and Temptations topped the charts. The homicide rate is falling every year and will continue to fall.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC's murder rate is at 1960's level lows. The city has never been better considering violence is where it was when the Supremes and Temptations topped the charts. The homicide rate is falling every year and will continue to fall.
Let's not forget that DC's murder rate remains exceptionally high when compared to other large cities across the country. It's great to recognize the fact that our violent crime rate has plunged over the last 20 years, but it's also important to maintain perspective. It doesn't really serve anyone to pretend that 140 murders per year is somehow acceptable because the District used to eclipse 400.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
The homicide rate is falling every year and will continue to fall.
DC will have more murders this year than last year.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bet on other peoples lives, but I'm just being realistic.

The stuff that happened last night, particularly on Yuma st is beef related and it will escalate...

Besides whatever murders aren't happening in the city proper sure as hell is to the east of the city.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
DC will have more murders this year than last year.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bet on other peoples lives, but I'm just being realistic.

The stuff that happened last night, particularly on Yuma st is beef related and it will escalate...

Besides whatever murders aren't happening in the city proper sure as hell is to the east of the city.
Well Barry Farms relocation starts this year as well as some other area's. Every year the rate will fall as neighborhoods are revitalized.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Well Barry Farms relocation starts this year as well as some other area's. Every year the rate will fall as neighborhoods are revitalized.
Crime hasn't really fallen in Columbia Heights.....or U street.

and where do you think that crime being relocated to?
and isn't that new development by Suitland parkway supposed to house the folks the are being displaced?

I remember talking to someone at DCHA downtown about it and most of the people that are being displaced are going to remain in the district...

and lets say Barry Farms have beefs with certain hoods (which they do... a lot of..) whats gonna stop them from driving or catch a bus or train back to that hood in DC and light it up?

I think people are forgetting metro goes to Prince George's County.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
Crime hasn't really fallen in Columbia Heights.....or U street.
That's not really true. Since 2005, violent crime in Columbia Heights has decreased approximately 25%. Property crime is up in Columbia Heights by nearly 50% from 2005--which is largely explainable by the fact that there are many, many more people in Columbia Heights than there used to be.

Around U Street, violent crime is down approximately 33% from 2005 levels, while property crime has actually decreased as well--which is particularly interesting, since there are more people out on U Street these days than there were six years ago.

So crime--particularly violent crime--has indeed fallen in both Columbia Heights and U Street. But we've witnessed for awhile now the decrease in crime across the District, so that's not really a poitn of contention anymore. What we have graduated to is the question of how much crime is acceptable? From the comments I've seen here and elsewhere, there seems to be a disturbing view expressed by some that the District has largely "cleaned up its act" and that crime isn't that much of a concern anymore. That view belies the fact that the District, while no longer the nation's murder capital, maintains one of the nation's higher crime rates. Complacency can lead to a reversal in the progress that the District has made. Which leads me to:

Quote:
I think people are forgetting metro goes to Prince George's County.
indeed they do. The area of PG County inside the Beltway is absorbing a lot of the crime problems that used to plague large amounts of the District. The killings and assaults may be taking place across the District's eastern and southern borders, but it doesn't mean that the underlying cauises and factors leading to those crimes are any different. We've simply managed to push the problem into another jurisdiction.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,661,517 times
Default boreatwork

I wonder how many ppl live in NE and SE DC and how many ppl live inside the beltway of pg county...thats the hotzone right there and is probably the same murder rate as Baltimore considering all the lows in the city itself...Also last year DC had the 3rd highest murder rate for cities over 500,000 I believe ...so in perspective there's a long way to go

Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Juvenile fatally shot in Southeast - @TBD Latest | TBD.com

Another one got killed last night...

Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Shots fired during incident near Columbia Heights Metro | TBD.com

Columbia Heights and U street are robbery havens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC