Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 PM

42 posts, read 178,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
::spits out coffee::

Crime worse than D.C.? Nobody has crime worse than D.C.
Camden, New Jersey!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM

32 posts, read 145,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Futurem, I agree.

Hey, Cookie stop your bitchin and get out and meet people and do some activities. What other city in the U.S. has a better mix of museums, monuments, theater, transportation, outdoor activities, nightlife, employment opportunities and institutions of higher education. You can't go anywhere in LA without a car. You're comparing the DC metro to the el in Chicago? More people ride the DC metro than the el. What does that tell you. The el isn't all 24 hours (only 2 lines) either, plus its filthy and it doesn't even go to large parts of the South or West sides. NYC's subway has great coverage but you might be sitting in some urine or feces at anytime of the day, so it too has it drawbacks.
Last time I checked, the point of this thread is to describe what you don't like about DC, so if you don't like "bitchin," why are you reading this? Further, aren't you just "bitchin" as well?

What makes you think I don't get out and do activities? I'd wager my life is a lot more active than most people in the city as its part of my job. The worst part about leaving DC will be all the friends and awesome people I leave behind. Funny that most of them are transplants and/or are planning on leaving themselves. Very few people stay in DC a long time unless they are your move to the suburbs, start a family type which is not DC anyway.

Some cities with a good mix of what you describe:
  • LA
  • NYC
  • Chicago
  • San Fransisco
  • Shall I continue? Internationally?
We can debate this all day long, but every city has strengths and weaknesses.

I don't know where you've been going in Chicago, but you can take the bus or train just about anywhere. If that doesn't work, cab it. NYC's subway is not so bad, you are exaggerating or are spoiled. True, DC's subway is cleaner but it's a subway so clean is an oxymoron (I do hope you wash your hands after getting off the metro).

Does everyone enjoy those things you describe? How many times can you go to a monument? How many times can you go to the same museums (even with changing collections)? It seems people pull the museum/monument card everytime when talking about DC, but if you ask them how often they actually go, it is little unless friends/family come to visit. I say this as someone who donates money to two DC museums.

Regarding nightlife, I have been in multiple bands, DJ'd around the world, worked club sound, and promoted. Also, I'm social in general so I think I am pretty familiar with nightlife, and in particular DC's. My work and side jobs over the years have focused on DC nightlife (bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.). The problem with DC is mostly that it's simply not that big both in terms of population and square footage when compared with an LA or NYC. You can't sustain and support a world class nightlife in DC given the stats. Criticism aside, there are indeed many enjoyable places to go in DC, but quantity and quality wise, you must never take trips if you believe DC is an entertainment mecca of some sort, particularly in the cases of nightlife and outdoor activities. I've never heard anyone name DC as a hot spot for anything regarding music, nightlife, outdoors, or others. It's no shock that tours don't even schedule DC dates sometimes.

Regarding LA, true you need a car, but so what? Maybe it's not so bad driving up the PCH next to the ocean or being stuck in traffic with gorgeous surroundings? Many things in DC you need a car too, or maybe you enjoy lugging all your purchases on the train or walking huge distances to these "outdoor activities." I'm someone that uses mass transit everyday and it's far from completely accommodating unless you want to live in a bubble.

You are welcome to disagree with me, but I am not going to see it your way. I've been here long enough to know that I have explored and know enough to make informed observations, many of which are clearly subjective. Obviously many people agree with me considering the comments here and the fact that DC is a transient city.

Finally, to the person who thought that DC has a lot of crime, very funny. DC is not exactly dangerous when compared to most cities as a majority of the crime is compartmentalized. Still, I have to grimace when I see 20 year old women walking around at 1 am alone with an i-pod blaring.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM

48 posts, read 184,441 times
And so the cliche question remains...if it sucks so bad, why do people stay?

And don't tell me it's your job. Like anything, that's a choice. I was ready to leave after being here for six months. Yeah, so I stuck it out and now we're buying a place here. And we're buying in the District? Crime? Yeah, so? Crime is everywhere. Good gravy, it's a city. Be smart, buy a place in the country, but you're still not immune. There is no "gun to the head" forcing someone to live in the 'burbs and have a hellacious commute or to live in the city and pay more for less space.

Is DC my favorite place? No. Not by far. But if it's so bad, why do people stay? And why are so many working to get here? DC has good and bad, just like anywhere you go. You can live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, and with good friends, you'll have a good time. I complain about DC all the time, probably to the point of irritation among friends. But don't you complain about everywhere you live? Where is "perfect?" Lemme know, cuz I'll go live there. Ideally, it's out of the country, but for right now that's not possible.

And honestly I can't help but wonder, all the people who complain about how rude the people are, how "nice" are they? Many times, we get what we put out, ya know? Do they make an attempt to talk to the person sitting next to them on the bus? Maybe. Maybe not. I often drop the sarcastic "you're welcome" or "excuse you" to people and often they check themselves, apologizing, realizing they weren't paying attention, and they may be perfectly nice people. It happens. Everywhere.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian
::spits out coffee::

Crime worse than D.C.? Nobody has crime worse than D.C.
Bodymorgue, Murderland (baltimore)
Detroit
Cleveland
St. Louis
Gary, IN
Flint, MI

Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Keep in mind that Gary and Flint are much smaller than DC so, while their crime rates maybe higher, the comparison may not be apples-to-apples. DC is a major cosmopolitan city attracting people from all over the world; it's hard to say that about Gary or Flint. It's unlikely they'll be competing for the same talent pool. While B-more, Detroit and Cleveland are similar in size, they probably won't be competing for the same talent as DC either (except in Medicine, where B-more and Cleveland have the edge).

Old 01-29-2008, 08:19 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisat View Post
There is no "gun to the head" forcing someone to live in the 'burbs and have a hellacious commute or to live in the city and pay more for less space.
real estate market

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
And honestly I can't help but wonder, all the people who complain about how rude the people are, how "nice" are they? Many times, we get what we put out, ya know? Do they make an attempt to talk to the person sitting next to them on the bus? Maybe. Maybe not. I often drop the sarcastic "you're welcome" or "excuse you" to people and often they check themselves, apologizing, realizing they weren't paying attention, and they may be perfectly nice people. It happens. Everywhere.
Yeah, I hear ya. But what about when a guy starts to strike up a conversation with a girl he thought attractive in a DC bar, and he gets rudely brushed off? Not just an isolated case here and there, but every time he goes out. I have to wonder why I see that happens so much... not just to me, but guys everywhere. And then they move to another city, and they don't have that problem anymore. Food for thought. And these are decent guys, not creepy or anything like that.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM

48 posts, read 184,441 times
Anecdotes? Well sure. I have a nearly-40 girlfriend on Long Island who's looking for a "relationship" guy, 5'10" or under, wants to get married, buy a house, spawn babies. Any takers?

Dating is so random and night- and situation- specific. I met my man the old fashioned way, in a bar. Does it work? Yeah, sometimes. Other times, no. Is it statistically significant? Maybe, maybe not. Better/worse in DC? Dunno. Better chances for a single gal in Alaska? Probably.

I have friends in small towns and big cities, all looking for "the one." Easier/harder in DC? Dunno. Given personal qualifications, don't want to find out! LOL Egocentric city? Hard to find one's life partner? Guessing so. But are we really so different than any locale? I don't know.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
But are we really so different than any locale? I don't know.
Well, I'm about to find out soon!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieToaster View Post
Regarding nightlife, I have been in multiple bands, DJ'd around the world, worked club sound, and promoted. Also, I'm social in general so I think I am pretty familiar with nightlife, and in particular DC's. My work and side jobs over the years have focused on DC nightlife (bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.).
Hey Cookie -

I think I figured out what's wrong with DC for you. It's not DC - it's that you and DC are not a good fit for one another.

DC is a city that is not geared to the nightlife - its primary function is government and the think tanks / nonprofits / lawyers that revolve around that. If your career focus is on that realm of work, and then you go to bars / clubs to unwind afterward, DC is incredible! It has more eclectic nightlife than anyone with a demanding day job could ever hope for.

If your career focus is the nightlife, well of course you're going to complain about it. It's not built for that at all! I disagree that size matters (look at Austin, New Orleans, or Key West). Go to one of those places or NY, Miami, or LA if you seek a city that has institutionalized nightlife industries as major foundations of their economy.

You might be happier and stop complaining about DC being something it could and should never be. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: