Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefermat22 View Post
Personally I feel Dupont is overrated. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and coffee shops in the area, but only a few of them are memorable. For the most part, the neighborhood is filled with big chains like Cosi, Starbucks, etc. Even many of the independent places just serve mediocore food. The main draw of Dupont, in my view, is the people. There are plenty of 20 and 30something attractive women, but that's about it.
Yeah, I think this is pretty accurate. Although I would add the residential architecture as a drawing factor, if that's your thing. Some stunning buildings along Dupont's residential streets, particularly as you get into Kalorama. Also, Kramerbooks remains a giant pile of awesome.

But overall the dining scene isn't that special; it's only moderately better than Georgetown, which has almost no restaurants of consequence. It's fun to sit in the Circle during the evening with a slice of Alberto's and watch the people stroll by, and there are some fun bars in the neighborhood...but it has become quite homogenous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
if you keep kosher out, theres no place in DC better. You've got Eli's deli, the Distrikt Bistro at the JCC, and Maoz (if you are okay with the hasgacha).

I can't speak to all the restaurants. We dont eat there often. Only two times in the last year or so, were the morrocan place on O street (?) which was okay, but not stellar for the price, and the above mentioned distrikt bistro (whose prices reflect the cost of kosher meat). I do like the bustling street life and architecture though. Really which DC residential nabe with similarly bustling street life and arch really beats Dupont food wise? Barracks Row? U Street?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 AM

22 posts, read 54,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
I'm trying to understand what's going on here. I'm guessing you're a teenager excited about a different city. Have you visited before and are considering moving there? If you're someone from out of town you may want to consider other DC neighborhoods as well. Each is different in its own way.

Excuse me, pal?

I am VERY much an adult, probably old enough to be your dad.

I AM from out of town, hence my location, and even though I love visiting Washington, DC, I happen to like Dupont Circle very much. Which is why I stay there all the time.

I've visited other areas in Washington, did a lot of sightseeing and visited some of the museums at The Mall, but again, Dupont Circle is where I like to stay when I come here.

I will be staying there again for the week of New Years. Thank you.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM

656 posts, read 648,821 times
There is nothing like the energy of Dupont. That's why I advise people to live there even if you have to cram several people in studio apartment to do it. Why be miserable in Columbia Heights or MT Pleasant just to have slightly more space?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
You can walk from Mt Pleasant to Dupont, stars, so I'm not sure the word "miserable" applies to being a couple of hoods away. My take on Dupont:

Nightlife - subpar
Dining - par
Culture (music/books/art galleries) - above par
Extra points for being central and easy to get around

Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You can walk from Mt Pleasant to Dupont, stars, so I'm not sure the word "miserable" applies to being a couple of hoods away. My take on Dupont:

Nightlife - subpar
Dining - par
Culture (music/books/art galleries) - above par
Extra points for being central and easy to get around
That's a very long walk Bluefly, and stepping over passed out alcoholics on Mt Pleasant St. slows things down.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
That's a very long walk Bluefly, and stepping over passed out alcoholics on Mt Pleasant St. slows things down.
It"s actually not a far walk - about 25 mins. or less from cbd to cbd. People do that and more all the time. If they use Capital Bikeshare they can be there in less than 10 minutes. Most people who live in the expensive Mt Pleasant neighborhood know their streets and use them.

Nice to have you back... <sigh>

Last edited by Bluefly; 09-22-2011 at 09:52 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
There is nothing like the energy of Dupont. That's why I advise people to live there even if you have to cram several people in studio apartment to do it. Why be miserable in Columbia Heights or MT Pleasant just to have slightly more space?

Trust me, if I ever get the desire to move to DC, and could do it, then Dupont Circle is #1 on my list. Also, public transportation is very plentiful there, both bus & subway, so there would be no problem getting around town.

I wouldn't EVER stay in any rough or "South-Central-like" neighborhood!

I've gone through some of those neighborhoods to get to where I was going though, to find a restaurant, and some of the buildings look worse for wear - all beat up and dilapidated. How on earth can people stay in those buildings like that?

And yes, living in Dupont Circle can be pretty expensive, so unless someone else was moving there with me, a studio apartment would have to do.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It"s actually not a far walk - about 25 mins. or less from cbd to cbd. I and many others do far farther than that many times a week. If they use Capital Bikeshare they can be there in less than 10 minutes. Most people who live in the expensive Mt Pleasant neighborhood know their streets and use them.
<sigh>
Thank you Bluefly, but I'm afraid I can't recommend that service as a way fo getting around. You see, I knew someone who used Bikeshare. They went out to clubs and got bombed out of their skull. On the way home they got confused and piloted their rented bike in front of an oncoming car. I just don't have the heart to tell the rest of the story.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:

That is probably the only downside there. Lots & lots of homeless beggars and drunks. But I think that's everywhere.

They're mainly in the park and near the subway entrance. And in front of the CVS store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC