Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Does anyone on this forum even actually live in DC?
Nope and proud of it. DC can have its crime and grime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM

229 posts, read 515,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Also lets be real. Immigrants tend not to have the incomes needed to move to the desirable places in DC. Their incomes would regulate them into neighborhoods dominated by poor and working class Blacks. Who don't have a reputation for educational excellence and the areas they reside in are prone to higher rates of violent crime.

My guess is many immigrants want to prevent their children from being victims of abuse.
Can Philadelphia school end black vs. Asian violence? - USATODAY.com
I don't know if it has as much to do with race as much as it relates to values. Any individual or group who chooses to pursue or promote academic growth will always be preferred targets for those who've elected to abadon such pursuits and contend for a life of misdeeds. That article raises the issue of Asians vs. Blacks, but the same problems plague monoethnic and monoculture communities, but those cases tend to be understated and oversimplified.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Nope and proud of it. DC can have its crime and grime.
That's what gated estates are for. duh.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
I did until very recently. My hope is that we'll be able to move back in the not-too-distant-future.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
That's what gated estates are for. duh.
Sorry, some of us are just too 'regular' for dems places, sheesh!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Sorry, some of us are just too 'regular' for dems places, sheesh!
So you are forced to live among the great unwashed?

<shudder>

Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
So you are forced to live among the great unwashed?

<shudder>
Yeah, well, it beats living in a rathole in SE or NE or having to deal with roommates (definite SHUDDER). Why do that when I can live in the burbs in a NICE apartment with DECENT rent AND not have to deal with the noise, crime, and 20-something partiers and their antics? Sure, the commute may suck at times but hey sometimes a little sacrificing can be a good thing in the long run.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
And high-density development close to public transportation is EXPENSIVE everywhere. It's expensive in Rockville. It's expensive in Silver Spring. It's expensive in any suburban city where you have public transit lines and large retail clusters. Well...no wonder why real estate developers were building miles and miles of cul-de-sacs on farm land near Frederick, MD. I mean...if two-bedroom condos in downtown Rockville are going for $550,000 then I mind as well a buy a HOUSE with a YARD and a GARAGE for $375,000 in Frederick.
This is true. My ex co-worker and her boyfriend paid $3,400 to live in one of those buildings in Downtown Bethesda near the Metro. And it was a one-bedroom apartment (plus den). Given the small number of people who can afford to live near Metro stations, I don't see how TOD is going to relieve traffic congestion. It's a drop in the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
What has changed is that the relative demand for McMansions is declining, while the relative demand for denser housing is increasing.
Do you have studies on this? I'm curious about the profiles of those demanding higher-density housing. Some people suspect that greater demand for higher-density housing reflects a value shift from more traditional suburban living, but I wonder if the demand for "traditional" housing is only weaker because the people who typically demand it have been hardest hit by the recession.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-09-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Do you have studies on this? I'm curious about the profiles of those demanding higher-density housing. Some people suspect that greater demand for higher-density housing reflects a value shift from more traditional suburban living, but I wonder if the demand for "traditional" housing is only weaker because the people who typically demand it have been hardest hit by the recession.
In a 2010 report, Brookings - an advocate of higher-density housing - called that development "at least a temporary retreat from the longer-run march toward outer suburbia and lower-density metropolitan areas" that was induced by the "bursting of the housing bubble" and the recession that followed. It added that whether a move toward higher-density housing would persist in the current decade "will depend on a range of factors."

In other words, it said the jury was still out.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Quote:
Grew up for like 3 years in DC, lived at my dad's in DC 2010-2011 (academic year), and now my mom also lives in DC. I mostly grew up in MoCo and now live in PG. Not a single day spent as a resident of Virginia :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC