Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,732 times

Advertisements

My opinions on Philly and Baltimore are different. Baltimore is a nice underrated city although it shares many of the same problems as Philly I have had better experiences in Baltimore and more fun IMO. Good setting and seems to be turning the leaf. Philly to me is the worst place ever, its a dump for lack of a better word. Its a crime ridden ghetto with some areas of its north and west resembling Baghdad, Iraq warzones. It feels poor and helpless and its food scene was trashy from what I experienced. I like the sandwiches and music from Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM

220 posts, read 548,311 times
I lived in Philly before moving to DC. The biggest advantage of Philly is that the housing is much cheaper. I was able to afford my own place walking distance to the office without any roommates on an entry-level salary. Downtown Philly is very walkable. There are a decent # of bars, cheap ethnic restaurants, and upscale dining options. Philly has more locals and a lot of the non-locals are from within a few hours drive, as opposed to DC which is much more international. I'd say that Philly has all of your urban amenities and a variety of events, museums, and performances, although of course not nearly as many as DC.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times
Growing up in DC's large AA community, we were taught to look down on Baltimore and everything it represented. As an adult, I have learned to love Baltimore because it is not DC. Baltimore is one of the most underrated cities in the U.S. It's never mentioned in the urbanity polls when it could give any city a run for it's money outside of NYC because of its residential neighborhoods. Baltimore is like the bizarro DC.

As for Philly, I go there from time to time and it's a great city but it is definitely in NYC shadow. People in Philly also have that under dog/inferiority complex thing going on. IMO Parking Wars gives you a perfect slice of Philly.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
... Baltimore is like the bizarro DC.
This pretty much sums it up. It's a great city but has a different feel.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 AM

48 posts, read 107,616 times
Philly is just a bigger Baltimore......

Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiz View Post
Philly is just a bigger Baltimore......
that depends.. They may look alike with the rowhomes but that is it. Demographically, they are different. I could be wrong.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM

494 posts, read 1,192,212 times
I'm fascinated by Philly esp. the urban core. You can walk from a good area to a bad area to an up and coming area full of immigrants etc. Often just separated by a single street! I'm a history minor so I look at how things were, like a lot of the housing in and around the docks, where people had to live to get to work. And how those homes sometimes exist for the same purposes now, but with people having to do other things to make a living.

I admit that I haven't spend much time around B'more. However, it's kinda like a Philly lite, IMO. Fells point is the most 'real' area I've spent time in and even that is kinda transitioned.

In terms of friendliness, I would rate them as equal. And way above DC in terms of friendliness.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
What do I think? Baltimore: I don’t know that much about the city. I always feel a little out of my element in Baltimore. I don’t feel the safest, like any minute I’m gonna get mugged or something. So yeah there’s something about Baltimore’s grit that doesn’t feel right. DC is just so much more polished. People are more educated and more polite.

At the same time I feel like I should give Baltimore another chance. Despite everything I absolutely love the harbor. Definitely something that DC lacks and despite riverfront development plans it’ll never quite match Baltimore’s. Also people in Baltimore know how to let their hair down more so than DC.

Would I ever there? Absolutely not. Its not that I just hate Baltimore its just that why live there when I can live in DC? Its not a better thing its just that I can’t see myself living in a smaller city. In my head Baltimore is a smaller city than DC.

Do I respect it? What kind of question is this? Are you trying to start a fight? Of course I “respect” Baltimore. Geez said Louise.

What do I think? Philly: I love Philly. It has a similar grit to Baltimore but there’s just something about Philadelphia. I find the people to be friendly and laidback. I hear that Philly has rude and awful sports fans but my encounters in the City of Brotherly Love indeed had plenty of brotherly and sisterly love.

Would I live there? Possibly if the right opportunity came along. It’s a huge city but doesn’t overwhelm. Not to mention it has a lower cost of living but I still prefer the DC area.
Hey, pretty much my exact feelings with Baltimore and Philadelphia.

I'm with familiar with most other cities...from around Metro Detroit area, lived in New York City...have been to most American cities. I thought I'd probably like Baltimore and Philadelphia...so went to visit them.

Baltimore DOES feel like you're going to get mugged. I saw one young white guy riding a bicycle with a baseball bat very aggressively. He wasn't looking like he was going to a baseball game. But everyone just seeemed to be emitting that 'don't f with me' vibe.

Anyways, when I went to Philadelphia, I absolutely loved it. Especially City Center just looks cool, feels cool. So much public art and murals everywhere. I think they made a law to have high amounts go towards that in the past. You can see it and feel it.

I thought I'd either love both cities, or hate both cities. But, granted this is with limited exposure, I absolutely took to Philadelphia right away, absolutely loved it. I drove around all of Baltimore, and just didn't like it at all, not even the 'good areas'. I can't recall seeing many trees either in Baltimore, just rows and rows of block rowhomes. Philadelphia has a ton of rowhomes too, but I like the look of them more.

Mostly though, with cities, I try to imagine where I'd live. I didn't see anywhere in Baltimore that I thought I'd want to live. None. However, City Center Philadelphia would be absolutely amazing.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,333 times
I grew up in and around Philly, so I love it. Philadelphians are by far the best part of the city; people are generally a gruff brand of friendly. I typically hit it off immediately with the Philly natives I meet in DC even before we figure out we're from the same place. I think it's a lot easier to find your niche in the community there than it is here. You can become a regular at your corner deli or whatever and get to know everyone by name in a few weeks.

I missed the relaxed night/social life of Philly. There is a solid dive bar every few blocks where you can just walk in, grab a booth and a $2 tallboy of lager with your friends on a Friday night without any wait. The sports atmosphere cannot be beat in my opinion. We are simultaneously the best and worst fans in the country.

The job market seems a lot more rigid and established in Philly. There just aren't as many opportunities for young people in my opinion. Every one of my friends that stayed in Philly has a solid job, but it's a long haul for them to move up in their companies, and they seem to stagnate. On the flip side, rent is a lot cheaper, and I think the city is more affordable in general. The 1BR I was about to sign a lease on before moving here was $400/mo right downtown (in an alley off of South Street and it was 7 years ago, but still, it was a sweet deal).

I've never really thought much of Baltimore. I go there a few times a year, but not really enough to form an educated opinion about it.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
grimy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: