Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,732 times

Advertisements

Just curious what other DC area folks think of these two areas. Would you live in either of them? Visit them? Respect them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,915 times
I was born and raised in Baltimore (city & county) with lots of good memories and wouldn't mind going back there. I've only been to Philly twice but would like to explore more around the city, preferably w/ friends who go there for college.

EDIT: The best time I spent in Baltimore was the 2011 Baltimore Grand Prix people on boats partying, exciting atmosphere, just awesome.

Last edited by rsh56; 02-13-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
DC and Baltimore are like Milan and Turin. Each has something the other lacks so if you combined them, you would have an ideal city,.

Philly? I have had some good times there.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Both cool cities. They help make living in the DC area all the more appealing.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
DC and Baltimore are like Milan and Turin. Each has something the other lacks so if you combined them, you would have an ideal city,.

Philly? I have had some good times there.
Agreed, DC is the charm and sophistication that Baltimore needs and Baltimore is the grit and blue collar feel that DC lacks.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM

12 posts, read 13,306 times
umm well DC and baltimore people dont really have anything to say about Philly!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,358 times
I like both cities, probably Philly a lot more than Bmore. Used to date a girl who went to school in Philly so I had a lot of good times there. Definitely wouldn't mind living there, now Bmore not so much..

Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,985 times
They are both terrible cities.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
What do I think? Baltimore: I don’t know that much about the city. I always feel a little out of my element in Baltimore. I don’t feel the safest, like any minute I’m gonna get mugged or something. So yeah there’s something about Baltimore’s grit that doesn’t feel right. DC is just so much more polished. People are more educated and more polite.

At the same time I feel like I should give Baltimore another chance. Despite everything I absolutely love the harbor. Definitely something that DC lacks and despite riverfront development plans it’ll never quite match Baltimore’s. Also people in Baltimore know how to let their hair down more so than DC.

Would I ever there? Absolutely not. Its not that I just hate Baltimore its just that why live there when I can live in DC? Its not a better thing its just that I can’t see myself living in a smaller city. In my head Baltimore is a smaller city than DC.

Do I respect it? What kind of question is this? Are you trying to start a fight? Of course I “respect” Baltimore. Geez said Louise.

What do I think? Philly: I love Philly. It has a similar grit to Baltimore but there’s just something about Philadelphia. I find the people to be friendly and laidback. I hear that Philly has rude and awful sports fans but my encounters in the City of Brotherly Love indeed had plenty of brotherly and sisterly love.

Would I live there? Possibly if the right opportunity came along. It’s a huge city but doesn’t overwhelm. Not to mention it has a lower cost of living but I still prefer the DC area.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Never been to Philly but I'd like to visit.

I haven't been to Baltimore much. The harbor area is beautiful and I wouldn't mind living there. Dunno about the rest of the town, all I hear is that it's either more laid-back and blue collar than DC or that it's a violent war zone. I know both are extreme generalizations lol. Definitely wanna check it out more and hopefully I will this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: