Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,610 times

Advertisements

All areas seem walkable and offer an easy commute to work. I'm obviously looking for something with a vibrant, urban soul to it. If anyone has lived in these places, can you summarize you experience in a few words? Quality of life, demographic, attractive girls, etc...?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Arlington and Silver Spring are cities in their own right. Which part are you talking about?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,610 times
Sorry, I meant the downtown areas.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
The downtown part of Arlington is called Rosslyn, and definitely stay far away from there if you want a singles scene. It's an office area that is almost totally dead at night. The most vibrant busy nightlife part of Arlington is Clarendon.

So your question should be: U st. vs. the Hill vs. Clarendon vs. downtown Silver Spring. To answer your question, I think it all depends on what kind of scene and type of girls you are into. Clarendon is mostly white, heavy on people who were in frats and sororities in college, and has a lot of people from the Virginia public universities--UVA, Va Tech, JMU, etc. Polo shirts, brown flip flops and top 40 music rules here.
U St is a more hipster/arty crowd, more urban, and much more multi-racial.
Cap Hill is very age-diverse--everything from interns still in college to established families with children. The nightlife isn't really happening here on the weekends. The bars are packed during the week with congressional staffers for happy hour, but everyone seems to go elsewhere on the weekends. But the Hill is very close to H St, which is possibly THE most happening place now for nightlife if you are into the hipster/arty scene.
Downtown Silver Spring someone else will have to comment on because I don't know it very well. My impression is that the people there will be closer to Clarendon in lifestyle, but not as white. But I don't think the nightlife here is as busy as the other areas you are looking at.
My personal opinion is that if you want truly vibrant nightlife, don't settle for the suburbs and stick to the 14th St, Columbia Heights, U St, Adams Morgan general region. NE Capitol Hill is also doable if you really like H St.
Based on your use of the term "vibrant urban soul," it sounds like you would fit much more in DC than in Arlington or Silver Spring.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,231 times
Vibrant urban soul? DC? In 2012?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM

13 posts, read 22,575 times
Random question is it viable to live in downtown dc and work in Greenbelt Maryland?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I'll chime in. I know 3 out of the 4 fairly well. I'm contemplating a move this summer and I too am in my 30s.

I think it depends on preferences and job location etc. However, assuming that all things are equal with a job in downtown DC, I'd start by eliminating Arlington (orange line corridor) and Silver Spring. For me the main reason to live in those cities if you're single is to have some urban benefits but to be purposely removed from the hub bub. Silver Spring is also cheaper.

Arlington is truly a city in its own right with several business districts and a variety of neighborhoods. So much in the smallest county in the country. As far as the whole frat and sorority thing we're grown men, we don't have time to worry about someone's glory days from the last decade. So I don't understand why some people act like the number of frat type guys is such a big deal. Just ignore them if that's not your scene. I've met plenty of folks who are beyond their 20s that happily live in Clarendon. It really is a nice place just terribly expensive. One assumes those really happy older folks are smiling because they bought before the bubble.

U street. I went out a guy who had just left U street because of the noise. U street is great and will be the next Dupont. I sleep through thunderstorms and even tornados so my opinion about noise should be taken with a grain of salt. But yeah U street has everything one can need and it is vibrant with something constantly going on.

Does it have soul? Again sooooooo subjective. I didn't grow up in the DC area so I don't know the old U street. The current U street is pretty cool. Its such a mixture of old and new. I wouldn't call it artsy. When I think artsy I think Adams Morgan or perhaps H street. I would say that U street does have soul. The history is so rich. These areas were home to Duke Ellington and Langston Hughes before he became Mr. Harlem Renaisance. I actually read those historical signs in front of landmarks.

Capitol Hill. This is the neighborhood I know the most. Dated someone in the neighborhood. Same guy that left U street for the noise. Capitol Hill is indeed shhhh....the baby's sleeping. There are plenty of shops and restaurants to go to. You also have the awesomeness that is Union Station nearby as well. Capitol Hill is not a destination like U street. There are neighborhood bars and restaurants. It isn 't as crowded as U street.

Well what's-his-name rode off into the sunset this is still one of my favorite DC neighborhoods. I really like the mix of old and new. I'm sorry I'm one of those "newcomers" that thinks DC is a better city thanks to -brace yourself. Ready? - gentrification. There I said it. Apparently that's a dirty word. I think its squeaky clean.

I digress. So the best neighborhood? Sounds like U street would be the spot. Its so...city. From my understanding crime is a little higher though. Not Columbia Heights higher but out of the 4 the highest is U street. With that said its still an awesome neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVDOD View Post
Random question is it viable to live in downtown dc and work in Greenbelt Maryland?
I know people who do it. I'd consider somewhere like Capitol Hill or the U street area versus Chinatown or Penn Quarter (which I consider part of "downtown"). So yes its fine but I'd think of another neighborhood that's a little more east and not in the thick of it particularly if you're driving. If your job is on the green line and you're just taking the metro then downtown sounds fine you'll have a reverse commute and less crowded trains.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Does it have soul? Again sooooooo subjective. I didn't grow up in the DC area so I don't know the old U street. The current U street is pretty cool. I would say that U street does have soul. The history is so rich. These areas were home to Duke Ellington and Langston Hughes before he became Mr. Harlem Renaisance. I actually read those historical signs in front of landmarks.
Yes there is a rich history but you cannot just suddenly move into a neighborhood and all of a sudden start to claim it's history as your own. Things do not work that way.

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm one of those "newcomers" that thinks DC is a better city thanks to -brace yourself. Ready? - gentrification. There I said it. Apparently that's a dirty word. I think its squeaky clean.
But you were not here before gentrification to be able to give an accurate comparison of the two. Yes there was crime but many of us who actually grew up here enjoyed growing up here and we would not trade those days away for anything.

Not for Starbucks. Not for Target. Not for Best Buy. Not for Bed Bath & Beyond. Not for H&M and certainly not for trendy little cupcake boutiques.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Yes there is a rich history but you cannot just suddenly move into a neighborhood and all of a sudden start to claim it's history as your own. Things do not work that way.

But you were not here before gentrification to be able to give an accurate comparison of the two. Yes there was crime but many of us who actually grew up here enjoyed growing up here and we would not trade those days away for anything.

Not for Starbucks. Not for Target. Not for Best Buy. Not for Bed Bath & Beyond. Not for H&M and certainly not for trendy little cupcake boutiques.
No one is saying that you have to trade those days. Cherish those memories.

I have heard all about the glory days of DC from all sides. Being gay I often hear about the wild and sleazy bars on O street where Nationals stadium now stands. It sounds like I would've had a lot of fun in those places. They seemed to represent a wild and sleazy side that DC has lost. Even since 2008 DC has traded fun sleaze for the clean and polish. When I first moved here the city was dripping with sin. In some ways it still does but the polished image is so strong. Hooking up isn't as easy as it used to be. The shaningans that went on in some of the bars in 08 isn't tolerated 4 years later and while some cheer for decency; a little misbehavior is good along with play or Jack will indeed be a dull boy. I can only imagine how fun and wild DC 10 years ago.

So even I understand somewhat the fun that gentrification has taken away. However, I see no point in lamenting the lost of the past. The good outweighs the bad. It will never be 1995 again or whatever year you see as perfect. Let it go. I wouldn't go back to 1995 even if you gave me a Delorian for my birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC