Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Relocating: Washington DC or Atlanta?
Washington DC 37 59.68%
Atlanta 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 AM

46 posts, read 140,265 times

Advertisements

If someone knows a city that has the weather and COL of Atlanta but with the diversity and job market of DC, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Thanks a lot everyone for all you replies.

As you have mentioned that DC is second to NYC in terms of stress and business, this is what is scaring me. But at the same time, I might get bored of the low pace and not enough diversity in Atlanta.

One of you mentioned to go to DC, find a man and then move to Atlanta, that's not a bad idea. Also, I'm already used to the city feel and not driving around for everything. What will hurt the most is the COL of DC.

As another poster mentioned, I have someone living in both cities. I'm planning to stay 2-3 weeks in DC and try to get interviews while I'm there. I'm planning this for May. Once I get a firm offer, I can ask for a visa at the border. I'm not daydreaming of moving as I've been thinking and wanting this for so long which is why I went to visit a few places last week. I'm ready to work as soon as possible, as my decision to leave is final.

I have a bachelor in Actuarial mathematics and have worked 6 years in my field. I will therefore target consulting companies in the US as I have worked for one for quite some time and left on good terms before trying something else.

Thanks again
Oh yeah def more opportunity in DC for that field. Either way good luck. I love Montreal beautiful city.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks Terrence
Montreal is a beautiful city, I'm leaving because of I'm tired of it and the weather is not helping. Also, not as much diversity compared to DC, but I will miss speaking french.
Btw, do you know Montreal well? If so, how would you compare it to DC?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM

361 posts, read 854,383 times
I’ve lived in both cities, but admittedly in ATL a long time ago and when I was broke, so my perceptions may be dated.

DC and Atlanta have a lot of crossover for many Black folks—both are meccas for AA professionals, have old guard Black middle class networks and all that comes with, and have prominent HBCUs that drive a good bit of the AA social, intellectual and professional scenes. On appearances, Atlanta actually seems to edge out DC in terms of go-getterism and entrepreneurialship and even the Black arts vibe seems a little more hip and daring in ATL to me.

Atlanta is dirt cheap, and despite its reputation for sprawl and non-walkability, there are some OK close-area neighborhoods—West End, Midtown, what they are calling West Side these days, Va. Highlands, areas around Decatur, etc. And Buckhead can be as glitzy as LA, Miami or Manhattan if that’s your thing.

But, I hate to steoreotype, wow, ATL can be overly ghetto-fab. Fewer folks in DC seem to be on the ‘fake it til you make it’ track like that. I also like the diversity of the DC’s AA community. I don’t find DC high-stressed at all like New York (where I also lived briefly). Few people I know are killing themselves working Wall Street hours and the day-to-day here doesn’t really take a toil, unless you have some crazy commute. The night life and restaurant scene is popping like crazy here now, the networks of AA professionals in all areas are pretty amazing, there's good amount green space, the city is cleaner than ever, crime is down... lots of plusses for DC for me.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
Honestly, no such utopia exists. Every major US city has a trade-off and you will never have a 100 percent check-mark rate with your criteria.

If you are getting bored with Montreal (beautiful city with a vibrant culture by the way!), then you might encounter angst and boredom in the ATL or DC after a certain time.

I would rank your preferences in order and then make your final choice. Which means more to you: the job opportunities or the weather? The racial/ethnic diversity or the cost of living? You might also want to factor personality culture if you are single and looking for relationships and friendships down the road. Some cities don't fare as well in this department even if you are an extroverted, optimistic person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
If someone knows a city that has the weather and COL of Atlanta but with the diversity and job market of DC, please let me know.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
If there was a city with a low COL that had as strong of a job market as DC, its COL would quickly go up because people would flock there for work.
There is one place I can think of with very low COL and a very hot job market, but it's not a city: North Dakota.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM

229 posts, read 515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
There is one place I can think of with very low COL and a very hot job market, but it's not a city: North Dakota.
Yeah, but how many people are actually qualified to manage cattle herds?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Honestly, no such utopia exists. Every major US city has a trade-off and you will never have a 100 percent check-mark rate with your criteria.

If you are getting bored with Montreal (beautiful city with a vibrant culture by the way!), then you might encounter angst and boredom in the ATL or DC after a certain time.

I would rank your preferences in order and then make your final choice. Which means more to you: the job opportunities or the weather? The racial/ethnic diversity or the cost of living? You might also want to factor personality culture if you are single and looking for relationships and friendships down the road. Some cities don't fare as well in this department even if you are an extroverted, optimistic person.
Hi Coldbliss,
I do believe that Montreal has a lot to offer especially when you are young, but once you reach age 30 and you are fed up with the bar scene and eating at restaurants, nothing is left. In Montreal, there's has to be an event in order to have something to do. And if you missed that event, then you have to wait for another to show up. Therefore it get boring pretty fast. Perfect months to be in Montreal are June, July and August. After that there's nothing and just the cold that sets in.

I would think DC would have a lot more options that Montreal (especially for my age range), but maybe I'm wrong.

So far DC seems to answer all I'm looking for (besides COL) and the winter is not as tough than Montreal's. I guess it will depend on the salary I could get in DC in order to live comfortably.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I think Washington, D.C. is the better city to start off in as an immigrant. You can move to Atlanta later.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If there was a city with a low COL that had as strong of a job market as DC, its COL would quickly go up because people would flock there for work.
I would say that's not true of ND based on what I've heard on this board. In Williston and the surrounding areas with the natural gas boom, there are high paying jobs for uneducated people but no housing, you have to luck out to end up in a company with a man camp, if you don't you have to live in your car, apartments run higher than prime areas of Tokyo. Omaha might be the best example of a place with low COL and great employment but its just as bad as Montreal in climate with much less to do. I'd consider Pittsburgh to be the best overall place to move in the US taking in climate/employment/COL/stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC