Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Relocating: Washington DC or Atlanta?
Washington DC 37 59.68%
Atlanta 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:24 PM

91 posts, read 136,761 times

Advertisements

The first poster was not joking that Atlanta is a tough city for single AA women. The people I know who are married with kids love living in Atlanta though - low COL, nice homes. The traffic can be bad, but if you're lucky to live near your job you'll be ok. DC is great for single women, but it can get very expensive and stressful if you want to start a family.[/QUOTE

DC is great for Single Men, as the Male to Female Ratio is lower than the majority of cities and one of the lowest for a Major City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:12 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
I've lived in both cities (moved to DC in 2012 from ATL) and much prefer DC to Atlanta. I was just in ATL last week for work and don't miss it a bit. First off, DC has much more to do. Free museums, better restaurants, more culturally diverse, highly educated population, and a walkable city. I enjoyed my time in ATL as it was a new experience for me but I prefer the people and overall vibe of DC over ATL. Also, I wasn't a fan of the Deep South being from New England. I feel much more at home in DC. Better public transit too.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:52 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I've lived in both cities (moved to DC in 2012 from ATL) and much prefer DC to Atlanta. I was just in ATL last week for work and don't miss it a bit. First off, DC has much more to do. Free museums, better restaurants, more culturally diverse, highly educated population, and a walkable city. I enjoyed my time in ATL as it was a new experience for me but I prefer the people and overall vibe of DC over ATL. Also, I wasn't a fan of the Deep South being from New England. I feel much more at home in DC. Better public transit too.
Seeing that this thread is over 6 years old, I'm pretty sure the OP has already made his/her decision by now.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 AM

104 posts, read 61,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
You were in ATL last week for work. In other words, you stayed at some Hilton in downtown and ate your meals at Ted's Montana Grill. Yeah it's no wonder you didn't like Atlanta.

Atlanta also isn't the "Deep South". An hour outside Atlanta in any direction is the "Deep South."

Old 09-20-2018, 07:29 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
You were in ATL last week for work. In other words, you stayed at some Hilton in downtown and ate your meals at Ted's Montana Grill. Yeah it's no wonder you didn't like Atlanta.

Atlanta also isn't the "Deep South". An hour outside Atlanta in any direction is the "Deep South."
So it’s in the middle of the Deep South?

Old 09-22-2018, 05:56 PM

76 posts, read 150,965 times
I have lived in DC for 20 years and Atlanta for 30 years. Both cities have many great things about them and you can have a terrific life in either one. BUT! In my experience DC is a much older city. And since you are young, I think you would ultimately enjoy the more youthful populace of Atlanta.

You did a very good job of describing both cities. I don't think you can go wrong with either city. Just choose your place to live carefully. Rent in DC is insanely expensive so I didn't move there until I was in my 40s and could afford it, and parking is so hard to find there that I had to sell my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC