Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,802 times

Advertisements

Is it really that bad?

Is it more the case that a very high percentage (50%+) of people you meet in DC proper are uptight
a-holes or is it just that the uptight a-holes are so horrendous that the few of them you've come across have given you such a negative impression of the population as a whole? (think: a few bad apples spoiling the bunch).

I've only met a handful of people (very few total strangers) and haven't felt so negative towards any of them. Some people have been a bit weird, but no bitter hatred of anyone. (though it would be nice if pet owners realized that some people don't like pets and animals quite as much as they do!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulist View Post
Additionally, I wanted to comment on the "cultural divide" in that us self-admitted "idealists" versus the natives are not the only sides involved in this, there is a substantial class of politicos, lobbyists, CEO's, their trust-fund children, and other types who have grown extremely wealthy from government largesse who also inhabit the town and bring their own set of manners and attitudes. I would imagine these individuals make a more substantial contribution to the perceptions of how people behave here than the more transient intern population. It's an admitted oversimplification to boil this all down to class struggles, but there are few places I've seen outside of the third-world where the income divide is so steep and readily apparent than D.C. That can do little else in the end but breed mutual contempt.

Just my two cents...
You're absolutely correct. So maybe, if we're doing broad generalizations, there are 3 groups. I've certainly met a number of people (usually lobbyists) who make significant sums of money lobbying for very nefarius and destructive causes yet seem to have not a shred of moral concern or, for that matter, intellectual understanding of the impact of their work. They just make a lot of money and blow it on extravagant lifestyles.

Perhaps these are the people that give DC such a bad reputation to some. I tend to avoid them and stay on the more altruistic side (which, for the record, includes far more than interns. There are many non-profit executives and VPs and managers making high 5 to 6 figures in DC).

Old 10-18-2008, 02:37 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You're absolutely correct. So maybe, if we're doing broad generalizations, there are 3 groups. I've certainly met a number of people (usually lobbyists) who make significant sums of money lobbying for very nefarius and destructive causes yet seem to have not a shred of moral concern or, for that matter, intellectual understanding of the impact of their work. They just make a lot of money and blow it on extravagant lifestyles.

Perhaps these are the people that give DC such a bad reputation to some. I tend to avoid them and stay on the more altruistic side (which, for the record, includes far more than interns. There are many non-profit executives and VPs and managers making high 5 to 6 figures in DC).
And its for these people that I constantly run into (particularly their children who are more heartless, shallow, and immoral pieces of flesh I''ve ever seen) that I would love for Obama to win. If he shakes up Washington as much as he claims we desires to, we won't have to worry about the glutton and nefarious lobbyists/fat-cats/good ol' boys and their trust-fund kids. And hopefully, they'll flee from here once and for all back to the pit holes where they came from. And only then would DC can once again be considered a livable city in the human-to-human interaction realm, have a workaholic-without-the-haughtiness feel, and can be more comparable to San Francisco and Seattle than to Los Angeles, New York and the other cutthroat cities in the Northeast.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 PM

There are legitimate reasons to support Obama, but he is no less in the pockets of lobbyists and special interests than any other politician. These days, it's quite difficult to make it that far in politics without being controlled by such groups. He's not going to change to lobbyist/fat cat, etc network one iota. In his short time in the Senate, he's already positioned himself as the second leading recipient of money from Fannie and Freddie. Between the two major candidates, one could easily argue that special interests' power in DC will be greater if Obama wins than if McCain wins.

I'm not trying to make a political point or impose my views on anyone but an Obama victory will do nothing to lower the power of special interests in Washington. Don't believe the 'I don't take money form lobbyists' nonsense. It's technically true in the sense he doesn't take money from federally-registered lobbyists, but there's a lot more to it than that. You don't raise $100 Million in one month (his supposed take in September) from people who can not even pay their mortgage.

CJR: Obama's Lobbyist Line

Old 10-18-2008, 10:09 PM

9 posts, read 30,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek View Post
First off, I have been bouncing back between Philadelphia to DC and Baltimore.
I spent the last decade in NYC and Philadelphia just isn't cutting it.
Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but I've been freaked out every time I've been in Baltimore.
And I dont freak out easily. I've hung out with friends in sketchy areas of NYC and know to hold my own.
On to DC.....First couple times I visited I was looking at it thru rose colored glasses and also was lucky to run into some very friendly people.
But now the last few times I've visited I can sense there is a huge contingent of humorless egomanical wankers and wankettes abounding.
I'm an upbeat and outgoing person and can't abide by snotty people.
Also Im single girl and the men Im running into in DC are all fitting your description of rude, childish and self absorbed....
So I've have some indicators that there are more than average amount of soulless types in DC and surrounding areas.

Have you considered Colorado ?
Low cost of living and more laid back.
This is so true about the men. Horribly childish and self absorbed and not even charming. Everyone is so career focused that when you go out all you hear is people talk about work. Work is their life. Work, work, and more work. Have you noticed the first question after hello is "What do you do?" Yup, it's true. And if you are deemed not up to par, you'll be totally snubbed.

Trust me, I'm fairly good looking, in shape, and am often told I'm smart and witty and I hadn't been able to land a boyfriend for years. Of course, it could be me but...

Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 AM

381 posts, read 814,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Is it really that bad?

Is it more the case that a very high percentage (50%+) of people you meet in DC proper are uptight
a-holes or is it just that the uptight a-holes are so horrendous that the few of them you've come across have given you such a negative impression of the population as a whole? (think: a few bad apples spoiling the bunch).

I've only met a handful of people (very few total strangers) and haven't felt so negative towards any of them. Some people have been a bit weird, but no bitter hatred of anyone. (though it would be nice if pet owners realized that some people don't like pets and animals quite as much as they do!)

Thats most likely it.

Of course, those who bash will totally deny it.

I work in downtown in one of the few tech companies located in downtown. Nobody ever talks about who went to what school or is overly unfriendly.

Shoot, we have some people who don't even own cars and bike to work. So much for an extravagant lifestyle.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 AM

999 posts, read 2,012,313 times
Same goes for the DC women. If you are not a lawyer, lobbyist, PR exec, or a big-time Hill staffer...women will tune you out. Women judge single men by their resume...not by their character. Single women in DC love men who have power and influence in this town. Makes me sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaMarie View Post
This is so true about the men. Horribly childish and self absorbed and not even charming. Everyone is so career focused that when you go out all you hear is people talk about work. Work is their life. Work, work, and more work. Have you noticed the first question after hello is "What do you do?" Yup, it's true. And if you are deemed not up to par, you'll be totally snubbed.

Trust me, I'm fairly good looking, in shape, and am often told I'm smart and witty and I hadn't been able to land a boyfriend for years. Of course, it could be me but...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,764 times
I was under the impression that government work and heavy metal went hand-in-hand.. I am finding that not to be true..especially with the girls.. it sucks

Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM

60 posts, read 285,493 times
I certainly can't generalize all of single DC men through the few times I've visited the bars. I know quite a few non-rude people who live and work in DC. But a couple days ago I was waiting for the metro train at the station and there were a group of Texan tourists next to me. When the train pulled up, the guys stepped to the side, letting me get on before them. I was surprised to be surprised at their notions.
Ever since I've been riding the metro in DC to work I've been fuming at not just the men, but at the many people who do not offer their seat to the elderly or pregnant women. Particularly in DC is where I find the majority of people to act as if they are so busy that they can't stop to take time out of their busy lifestyle to help anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaMarie View Post
After reading your post Nina, I have to say that you quoted the EXACT almost step by step conversation I had with a guy at a bar in DC after work last weekend. He seemed charming at first and everything was going well until he started to go into his work as a lobbyist, and after his speech he asked "what do you do" and as I started to get into it (I love what I do as well) he completely started ignoring me.
Except, an hour later when I went to leave, he tried to start another one sided conversation but this time to how he lived around the corner in the very affluent part of DC (right next to high security government buildings). He proceeded to tell me about his house a couple more times before I politely excused myself to leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Is it really that bad?

My two cents would have to say that the people who we see during the day (more than the 50%+) are commuters from elsewhere than DC, so the rude/uptightness is not coming from people who live and represent DC but those who have high strung work life in DC.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 AM

About offering seats to the elderly and pregnant women: I don't think it's fair to label someone rude for not making the offer. These people are all strangers and nobody owes anyone anything. I think someone mentioned in another post that there's no obligation for other people to adjust their choice of seat, walking pattern etc for pregnant women. They (hopefully) chose to get pregnant, so they should be equipped to deal with that.

Again, to generalize all women in this area as power and or money hungry is a gross generalization. There is no shortage of women who fit this description, but there are just as many women who do not. I still emphasize that people should take a long, hard look at themselves and how they are presenting their attributes before saying the men/women in this town are all X, Y or Z. It's simply not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: