Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times

Advertisements

it's weird how when all this gentrification is said and done, there will be no one left in dc and nyc but affluent white people and blacks on some sort of public assistance. Everyone else will just be the new working slaves. that's like segregation all over again.

this country takes three steps forward to go two steps backwards and that's a shame, but guess what? the money dried up anyway, so forget about it. just because we have a black president does not mean a thing. it's just a facade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM

32 posts, read 64,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Not to be off-topic but I'd keep an eye out on these guys: Pro Era, Joey Bada$$, Flatbush Zombies, Action Bronson, Children of the Night (World's Fair), The Underachievers, Smoke DZA, A$AP MOB, and Bodega Bamz.
A$AP Mob and Action Bronson are regulars on my playlists, I'll have to give some of those others a spin. I miss the early '00s underground scene.

Quote:
it's weird how when all this gentrification is said and done, there will be no one left in dc and nyc but affluent white people and blacks on some sort of public assistance. Everyone else will just be the new working slaves. that's like segregation all over again.
In DC maybe, certainly not NYC, assuming you mean all five boroughs and not just Manhattan. I see DC pushing out what's left of those that stayed after 1968 and becoming a land of overeducated bland white people concerned with administrivia, "dive" bar quizo, and kickball.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
I think it's a shame what happened in the past couple of decades in DC in terms of the decimation of black culture. It's a downright CRIME when young black professionals are lagging farther behind their white counterparts in terms of income and homeownership.

Separate and Unequal on Steroids in the Reagan/Clinton/Bushes/Obama era. Christ, I wish the Black Panther movement would come back to life.

This coming from a white dude.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtraintonowhere View Post
In DC maybe, certainly not NYC, assuming you mean all five boroughs and not just Manhattan.

well they're working very hard on brooklyn, manhattan and the south bronx and
the western parts of queens, but it would take a long, long time to get rid of all
the poverty entirely; same with dc.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM

23 posts, read 55,740 times
I have nothing against today's integrated social scene in the DC. It’s nice to be able to mingle in a diverse social environment at times. With that said, I do miss DC’s buppie scene from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Being from Baltimore (now live in DC), the one thing I use to envy about DC was the abundance of professional black venues. I used to make that trip down 295 at least twice a month to hit Republic Garden, the Ritz or State of the Union. Top 40’s music is OK sometimes but there is nothing like going into a spot and hearing some good hip-hop (80’s and 90’s) and then switch it up with some reggae in a chill environment (not overly ghetto or pretentious). Recently, there used to be a nice spot off 9th and U St called 1920 DC. It catered to a mature professional crowd and played some good old school hip-hop music. Sadly, it was forced to close as a result of having their liquor licensing revoked by the board.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksom View Post
I have nothing against today's integrated social scene in the DC. It’s nice to be able to mingle in a diverse social environment at times. With that said, I do miss DC’s buppie scene from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Being from Baltimore (now live in DC), the one thing I use to envy about DC was the abundance of professional black venues. I used to make that trip down 295 at least twice a month to hit Republic Garden, the Ritz or State of the Union. Top 40’s music is OK sometimes but there is nothing like going into a spot and hearing some good hip-hop (80’s and 90’s) and then switch it up with some reggae in a chill environment (not overly ghetto or pretentious). Recently, there used to be a nice spot off 9th and U St called 1920 DC. It catered to a mature professional crowd and played some good old school hip-hop music. Sadly, it was forced to close as a result of having their liquor licensing revoked by the board.
I don't see an integrated social scene.

Google "Brixton DC." Then tell me how many non-white people you see in each photo.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ub8tICPfUJ...01July2012.jpg

http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/.../03/703174.jpg

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/phot...211503082.jpeg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/ima...EeGn0g5bPVDVzg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/ima...1342991520.jpg

Now Google "Lima DC."

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4009/5...d72e75c5_z.jpg

http://www.dcclubbing.com/wordpress/...fb61ae05_b.jpg

http://sharam.com/wp-content/uploads...12/RSL0871.jpg (clearly Int'l Night)

http://www.dcclubbing.com/storage/li...=1266212859240

I could go on, but there's no point. "Integrated" generally means a few minorities in a sea of white people unless, that is, you're talking about a Desi or Persian party on K Street. I know Gallery in Silver Spring used to have Latin night, and I wouldn't call that really integrated either. The only place in DC I would call truly diverse is Bus Boys and Poets.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Anyone who calls DC's nightlife integrated doesn't know its real definition. Just because you have black cliques, white cliques, and Asian cliques in the same vicinity not fighting each other doesn't mean it's integrated. Diverse, yes. But integrated, please! DC still has the same attitudes now as it did back then. It just has an MSNBC/NPR liberal twist to it. Need proof? Just look at the city's daytime social scene, i.e. lunches, happy hours, and social clubs. Try to "step outside your place" and see the passive aggressive reaction you receive. And the group of people you do see who are genuinely integrated are probably people who live in Outer Beltway parts of Northern VA and Montgomery County, and even the integrated status of outer suburbs are being threatened by the popped collar pricks in Dupont Circle and hypocritical liberals in H Street NE who are moving to the outer beltway suburbs when they have kids and spread their covert racist agenda to those places.

For a truly integrated nightlife, you're better off hitting up a Hooters, Buffalo Wild Wings, or TGI Fridays in somewhere like Herndon, Leesburg, Woodbridge, Rockville, or Olney.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 06-24-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 PM

361 posts, read 854,286 times
But who wants "integration" or is arguing that that is the ideal social state? Yes, there are still cultural differences when it comes to putting together an agenda for a good time out, but more often those agendas are executed under the same roof. The venues have caught on and are making dollars off of it. I have some deep nostalgic feelings for the visuals of the old Buppiefied scene, but all them dudes are now married, got kids and if they are doing any partying it's at the Kappa Christmas party, the Oak Creek HOA annual picnic or at the Boule convention.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,897 times
The scene is still the same. You just got older and you're out of the loop. It's like complaining about the lack of good music today compared to 'the good ol days'

Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
I'm a black professional that has been in the area for about two years now. After I first got here and based on my limited knowledge of the happy hour and nightlife here, I used to hit up Indulj, Tap & Parlor, Park, K St Lounge, Queen Makeda and Ozio's. When at Park on Fridays for happy hour I do remember more of the ghetto crowd coming in the later it got like a couple others mentioned. I do still hit up Ozio's, mainly for the day party on Saturdays. I don't care for the Friday or Saturday night scene there. Current also has a decent day party on Saturdays. What I hate about it though are the promoters and not being able to go inside until the DJ shows and sets up, which is usually well after the advertised open door (and open bar) time. I still hit up Indulj every other month or so and Liv on the 90s Reminisce nights.

I've also been branching out and hitting up non-traditional AA spots (only for happy hour) in Chinatown, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Eastern Market, and National Harbor. I figured there's no point in me narrowing my hangout options to the same places as a lot of these other spots do offer a good atmosphere and experience.

Judging from what you guys are saying about the Buppie scene in the past, I wish I could've moved up here sooner to experience it. But so far, I'm satisfied with what's out there now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC