Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:37 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,788 times

Advertisements

I hope one day the ENTIRE city gets gentrified and taken over by yuppies and hipsters.

That would be the greatest thing to happen to DC...ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
Rockville, Maryland is my Chinatown.

Centreville and Annandale, VA are my Koreatowns.

Silver Spring is my Little Ethiopia.

Langley Park, MD is my Salvadoran Town.

Washington, DC is my White Hipster and Yuppie Town.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
how do you go from talking about chinatown in dc
to talking about the chinese who live way out in
rockville and potomac? they are different towns
altogether.

lol
LOL,

DC metro area. That is where the Chinese population is situated. Same area.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:54 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Oh you poor child, you know not what the Asian population is like in the DC metro area. Like all affluent areas, you will find Asians integrated into Great Falls, McLean, Potomac, Bethesda, etc, but those are the 1 percenters, who are surrounded by 1 percenters, and they have brought none of their third world culture with them.

If you want to find truly authentic asian populations, you'll likely have to head to Annandale, Centreville, 7 corners or other areas that have a bad rap.

"Chinatowns" were never known for being nice places until the last thirty years, when white gentrifiers have decimated them. Don't feel like you've lost something simply because the Chinatown area is no longer as dangerous.. Trust me, the asian communities didn't live there by choice 80 years ago.
Look I realize that some ignorant people want Asian people to be segregated into their own little ghetto, but unfortunately for people like and fortunately for everyone else those days are over.

Hey I remember you. You were the poster who was complaining about poor minorities and vietnam vets ruining your experience in the Chinatown area. Is there anyone you dont hate?

You poor child do you not realize that Annadale and Centreville are part of the DC metro area? Not only do you not know about the Asian population in the DC metro area but it appears that you dont even understand what the DC metro area is at all. Please refrain from commenting here until you do.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Rockville, Maryland is my Chinatown.

Centreville and Annandale, VA are my Koreatowns.

Silver Spring is my Little Ethiopia.

Langley Park, MD is my Salvadoran Town.

Washington, DC is my White Hipster and Yuppie Town.
For someone who claims to like diversity, you sure do have a strange desire to segregate all the races. Your obsession with keeping blacks isolated mostly on their own in DC is really no different from your desire to forever isolated Chinese in Chinatowns and call it oppression if they happen to move out.

The reason we get enclaves of ethnic groups (as well as gayborhoods) is usually because they are oppressed or marginalized in some way and are banding together for mutual support. The less geographically identifiable the area a culture lives the better they generally are doing.

Plus, you're ignoring over 60% or DC residents by pretending the city is all white.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I hope one day the ENTIRE city gets gentrified and taken over by yuppies and hipsters.

Well i guess you want every single
hood in dc to be for wealthier
people smh.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:05 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,139 times
Yuppies =/= hipsters

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 AM

458 posts, read 645,083 times
Chinatown became Republicantown
Game over man

Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times
I find it funny how everyone on here is acting like Chinese people in Chinatown are like tigers at a zoo. Complaining that the Chinese moved on to better lives, and now you can't get good Chinese food in Chinatown anymore is stupid. I think it is important for everyone to remember that neighborhoods turn over all the time, today Chinatown is one of the hot places to be, in 40 years it might be a ghetto again. But to sit here and complain that you can't get good Chinese food anymore because the Chinese residents have moved on with their lives is ridiculous. Please remember that these are people, they too move for better opportunities. But DC Chinatown isn't completely gone yet, it still has a higher percentage of Chinese people and Chinese restaurants than any other neighborhood in the city

Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM

431 posts, read 659,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post

Hipsters and Yuppies ruined DC. DC like many major other cities in the country has no culture or identity anymore. It's boring and bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC