Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 AM

32,151 posts, read 34,812,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
My point is, we need to eradicate terms like the "black community," because it implies that black people all think alike, and this is simply untrue; irrespective of whatever some people may believe after watching "Buffoonery Entertainment Television," BET.

But if you insist on using terms like the "black community," let's apply this to all of the other racial and/or cultural groups as well. In all honesty, I've never heard people refer to the "white community," "Hispanic community," or "Asian Community."
But the reality is that people (including prominent blacks) do use the terms "black community" and "Hispanic community" (though people generally just say "Hispanics" or "Latinos" as a catch-all). Tom Joyner, Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, Michael Eric Dyson, Sonia Sanchez et al. all use the term and I'm sure you can find it in some of the POTUS and FLOTUS' speeches. I think the term can be easily enough used with the recognition that not every black person thinks or feels the same way.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM

937 posts, read 1,136,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But the reality is that people (including prominent blacks) do use the terms "black community" and "Hispanic community" (though people generally just say "Hispanics" or "Latinos" as a catch-all). Tom Joyner, Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, Michael Eric Dyson, Sonia Sanchez et al. all use the term and I'm sure you can find it in some of the POTUS and FLOTUS' speeches. I think the term can be easily enough used with the recognition that not every black person thinks or feels the same way.
One could also argue:
The reality is that people (including prominent blacks) do not use the term "black community."
Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Herman Cain, Henry Louis Gates, Larry Elder, Alan Keyes, Michael Steele, et al. all do not use the term and those that do (i.e. POTUS and FLOTUS), often do so, for the purpose of garnering votes.

I think the term should be eradicated, because it lumps all blacks into one monolithic group. You'll never hear people refer to whites as a monolithic community, because it is understood that they have varying opinions, beliefs and ideas. Why is it so difficult to understand that blacks should be viewed in the same regard?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
One could also argue:
The reality is that people (including prominent blacks) do not use the term "black community..."
Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Herman Cain, Henry Louis Gates, Larry Elder, Alan Keyes, Michael Steele, et al. all do not use the term and those that do (i.e. POTUS and FLOTUS), often need to, for the purpose of garnering votes.
Yes, you could argue that. And that's all you can really do: argue. That doesn't change the fact that people use the term "black community" and they're not going to stop using it simply because you don't like it. There will always be somebody who's going to object to or be offended by something no matter how innocuous the alleged offense is. I'm sure there are people that are offended by my very existence. All I can say is "Sorry."

That said, I didn't find anything objectionable in KStreetQB's use of the term "black community." Then again, I'm not big on drama.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, you could argue that. And that's all you can really do: argue. That doesn't change the fact that people use the term "black community" and they're not going to stop using it simply because you don't like it.
Yes, but there are a number of blacks who do not use the term and look forward to the day when it's finally put to rest.

Quote:
There will always be somebody who's going to object to or be offended by something no matter how innocuous the alleged offense is. I'm sure there are people that are offended by my very existence. All I can say is "Sorry."
This is part of the reason why the term "black community" needs to be eradicated. Some have bought into the very unfortunate notion that blacks such as Tom Joyner, Cornel West, Michael Eric Dyson, and a biracial President's opinion, is more important than the likes of Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Michael Steele, et al. But in reality, all sides have a right to their unique opinions. It's however quite telling that some believe one group represents the majority and all others are simply minor "dissenters," who happen to be offended by the wise and all-knowing highly paid supporters of the [insert political party here].

Quote:
That said, I didn't find anything objectionable in KStreetQB's use of the term "black community." Then again, I'm not big on drama.
Good for you! But in reality, your opinion is no more valid than mine, and I found his statements offensive. But after all, diversity of opinion and thought should be expected, since we are all individuals, right?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, but there are a number of blacks who do not use the term and look forward to the day when it's finally put to rest.

This is part of the reason why the term "black community" needs to be eradicated. Some have bought into the very unfortunate notion that blacks such as Tom Joyner, Cornel West, Michael Eric Dyson, and a biracial President's opinion, is more important than the likes of Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Michael Steele, et al. But in reality, all sides have a right to their unique opinions. It's however quite telling that some believe one group represents the majority and all others are simply minor "dissenters," who happen to be offended by the wise and all-knowing highly paid supporters of the [insert political party here].

Good for you! But in reality, your opinion is no more valid than mine, and I found his statements offensive. But after all, diversity of opinion and thought should be expected, since we are all individuals, right?
It's not about whose opinion is more important. I just pointed out that it's something commonly used in the "black community" (hehe) and therefore find nothing objectionable about non-black people using the term "black community."

Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It's not about whose opinion is more important. I just pointed out that it's something commonly used in the "black community" (hehe) and therefore find nothing objectionable about non-black people using the term "black community."
And I pointed out that there are a number of blacks who do not advocate using the term "black community."

Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,921,233 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people move to DC, see the Ethiopian restaurants, beautiful rowhouses and extensive subway system, and conclude that it's always been this liberal, open-minded, cosmopolitan city. The reality is that Washington, DC was not that different from other major southern cities 40 years ago. Bolling v. Sharpe, which is often overlooked because of the prominence of the Brown v. Board of Education decision, ended de jure segregation in D.C. public schools (and applied the principles of equal protection to the federal government). Woodrow Wilson High School, if I'm not mistaken, did not even integrate until the late 70s/early 80s. So you have a city that's been very racially polarized for a long, long time.

In DC, on the other hand, you have (had) a small, wealthy white elite, and a large black underclass that was the target of systematic racial discrimination in the 1950s, 60s and 70s (including a very political U.S. Attorney's Office). So it's not suprising to me that the city is so racially charged.
This definitely explains half of the real deal behind DC. But as a lifelong resident of the DC area (mostly against my will economically), the biggest problem I see now is people denying how little the city has changed from the 50s-70s. Instead of a small old white male elite, it's a young white/Asian/Indian elite who use the cover of liberalism to justify their passive prejudice. And instead of a large black underclass, it's a loud black underclass who uses the cover of victimhood to justify their beliggerent behavior...along with a small bourgie black middle class who think their $70,000 Govt job means they're the ish (while the average white yuppie makes well over six figures).

And then you have people like me, who fit nowhere in this paradigm because I'm black, yet refuse to follow the Victimhood Negro or HBCU Bourgie script.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 08-07-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
This definitely explains half of the real deal behind DC. But as a lifelong resident of the DC area (mostly against my will economically), the biggest problem I see now is people denying how little the city has changed from the 50s-70s. Instead of a small old white male elite, it's a young white/Asian/Indian elite who use the cover of liberalism to justify their passive prejudice. And instead of a large black underclass, it's a loud black underclass who uses the cover of victimhood to justify their beliggerent behavior...along with a small bourgie black middle class who think their $70,000 Govt job means they're the ish (while the average white yuppie makes well over six figures).
As an aside, the young black bourgeois, would have 150K+ household incomes if more got married or partnered up like the young white yuppies. I often see a number of young middle class blacks doing everything alone (i.e. purchasing condos, renting, etc). In reality, their buying power will never equal the white yuppies who are partnered up, because they have two six figure salaries, not just one.

Also, do not be fooled. In the D.C. metro area, there are plenty of whites who are sucking on the government's teet, occupying contract jobs, GS 13-15 federal positions, government senior executive service positions (currently SES is over 90% white and male), not to mention practically all of the legislative and judicial jobs.

Last edited by CityGirl332; 08-07-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,463,518 times
Quote:
I don't even know where to begin. For starters, there's no such thing as a monolithic "Black community."
Now, I would think it goes without saying that when you talk in general trends and experiences, in an adult conversation, that there is an understanding that you're not talking about every individual; that you're acknowledging the reality of variability in humans. So lets pretend we're having an adult conversation.

If you do have an honest commitment to grounding any anecdotal experience to the individual-by-individual, case-by-case basis, then you can't really talk about much in a forum about cities and neighborhoods. You don't have that commitment though; you aren't making these points about other even broader generalizations made in this very thread.

Quote:
Why don't you understand that Black people are like any other racial group?
As I stated clearly in previous posts, I'm not talking about black people as a racial group. I'm talking about a trend in the black community native to DC - one that is even exclusive of members of their own race. I'm talking about a specific community, in a geographic area, where I have direct experience. Furthermore, I'm speaking to my contrasting direct experience living in other black communities in New Orleans and Philadelphia - where the people are much more open and accepting of other races and outsiders in general.

There is a hostility and a sense of entitlement that exists in the black DC communities I have lived in, that does not exist in other black communities I have lived in. I wouldn't remark on it, except It's not subtle at all. It's evident in every community meeting I attend, and even in DC's most infamous former Mayor/Council-member who receives nearly 90% of the vote while espousing openly racist sentiments.

Quote:
We have varying opinions, beliefs, and ideas. Surely, there are some Black people who are racist, just as there are some Whites, Asians and South Americans, who are, as well.

But I really don't understand why you feel the need to lump all Black DC residents together and make such blanket statements. In all honesty, your statements only highlight your lack of exposure and friendships with Blacks.
I am more than tired of having to provide extensive disclaimers to address all of these recurring assumptions. I have black colleagues, black friends and had a 4 year relationship with a wonderful American-Guyanese woman. I grew up in a very integrated area of Philly, where you basically just had to not be a Dallas fan to be accepted. I spent three years in NOLA in a black community which, despite all of the economic woes down there, I can only describe as vibrant and resilient.

Would it sound completely stupid to you if I responded - "you just don't have enough exposure to white people" - to some of the things that are said about the white yuppy gentrifiers in this forum (aka, the most popular topic)? Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it? That's how stupid your suggestion sounds to me, as a current resident of a predominantly black city talking about the other predominantly black cities that I have grown up in.

While I do acknowledge the historic and socioeconomic factors that contribute to the undercurrents of resentment, it is still remarkable to me that the community with biggest chip on its shoulder that I have ever experienced exists in the middle of a city that they politically control, with more opportunities, more social welfare safeftynets and better funding than any other place I have ever lived.

Last edited by KStreetQB; 08-07-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
There is a hostility and a sense of entitlement that exists in the black DC communities I have lived in, that does not exist in other black communities I have lived in. I wouldn't remark on it, except It's not subtle at all. It's evident in every community meeting I attend, and even in DC's most infamous former Mayor/Council-member who receives nearly 90% of the vote while espousing openly racist sentiments.
The funny thing is that you have entitlement issues on both sides. When you take people who were nestled in leafy white upper middle-class suburbs for most of their lives and combine that with people living off some form of government assistance for most of their lives, you get a powerful concoction of entitlement that would make Princess Kate blush. All you can do is attend your community meeting with a bag of popcorn, 3-D glasses, and wait for the drama to unfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
While I do acknowledge the historic and socioeconomic factors that contribute to the undercurrents of resentment, it is still remarkable to me that the community with biggest chip on its shoulder that I have ever experienced exists in the middle of a city that they politically control, with more opportunities, more social welfare safeftynets and better funding than any other place I have ever lived.
You know, it's not just the fact that it's white people who are moving in, imo. The race thing is sort of the subscript. It's the fact that it's rich white (or seemingly rich) people that are moving in and throwing their weight around. That's what I think irks them. I often wonder if DC would be as racially charged as it is if there were more white people on a similar economic level. But that doesn't really exist in the region at all and instead you have a number of white people dropping $5 on yogurt when some of the people around them are struggling to scratch up Metro fare. That type of income inequality, imo, always causes strife.

I found it really interesting being one of the "safe" black people in my neighborhood. It's like I was the mediator/liason between the "long-timers" and the "newcomers." I felt a bit like Bobby De Niro's character in Goodfellas where he's trying to calm Billy Bats down...

"That kid's got to learn to show some respect. He was out of line!"

"He was out of line, but you did disrespect him, Billy."

"What are you talking about? I was just breakin' his balls."

"No, no. You disrespected him a little bit. Just a little bit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC