Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:14 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times

Advertisements

I was driving from work today, and for some reason, I had absolutely nothing on radio to listen to. This got me wondering for a bit (because I was stuck in Traffic with the top down and nothing to listen to except for silence), what is the sound of DC?

I wondered about it. What sound defines DC? What music is the keystone of DC??

I grew up listening to Classic Rock (Allman Brothers, Doors, etc) and all of the hip hop and raps in Atlanta. I thought about what defines a city besides a food place (haha), then I came blank for DC.

Is there such thing as a music that defines a city? If yes, what music defines DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,211 times
I know there used to be a big punk/hardcore scene back in the day, not sure about now. Though that was probably more underground.

There's Go-Go which originated in DC but again I don't know how big that is anymore either.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM

67 posts, read 95,970 times
So... The true sound of DC is the whisper of a hyrbid car driven by an eco friendly **** in a scarf slurping on organic root milk in a recyclable cup.

The closest thing you can get to ever really defining DC's past sounds - aside from deafening gun blasts on the other side of the city from where Mr. Green Car reigns supreme - would be the traditional and unique to DC GO-GO music of the black community.

There were some good punk and politically minded kind of jammers back in the day. To name a few : Minor Threat , Bad Brains (first black real punk band) Fugazi (older remnants of Minor Threat) Iron Cross, Immoral Discipline hmm that's all I got now.

VA and Baltimore had some good bands too.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Go-Go is the undisputed sound of DC...or was......im willing to bet these spoiled brat yuppies probably cried and whined about that too.......DC doesnt have much of a soul or a local culture anymore.....

Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Go-Go is still the staple sound of DC. And Go-Go has plenty of different sounds too, be it Hip Hop-style Go-Go, or R&B Go-Go, or Bounce Go-Go, or Gospel Go-Go, etc.

DC's Rock scene was dominated by Punk and hardcore rock back in the 80's. DC actually had one of the most important and vibrant Punk Rock and Hardcore Rock scenes on the East Coast at the time as well.

DC is also becoming a growing hotbed for Electronica/House music too. And The City's Hip Hop scene is definitely on the come up as well, not at the level of New York, Chicago, or LA but it's getting there.

The Caribbean music scene is most likely fairly good as well due to the fact that DC and the entire metro area in general has a pretty sizeable Caribbean population.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM

458 posts, read 645,083 times
Today = Gospel or the Beach Boys
10-20 years ago = GO-GO or the Junkyard Band

Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Go-Go is still the staple sound of DC. And Go-Go has plenty of different sounds too, be it Hip Hop-style Go-Go, or R&B Go-Go, or Bounce Go-Go, or Gospel Go-Go, etc.

DC's Rock scene was dominated by Punk and hardcore rock back in the 80's. DC actually had one of the most important and vibrant Punk Rock and Hardcore Rock scenes on the East Coast at the time as well.

DC is also becoming a growing hotbed for Electronica/House music too. And The City's Hip Hop scene is definitely on the come up as well, not at the level of New York, Chicago, or LA but it's getting there.

The Caribbean music scene is most likely fairly good as well due to the fact that DC and the entire metro area in general has a pretty sizeable Caribbean population.
I also forgot to mention that DC has been VERY influential in the Soul, Funk, Gospel, Jazz, and R&B genres as well. As well as being the inventor of Quiet Storm too.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM

324 posts, read 467,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco81 View Post
So... The true sound of DC is the whisper of a hyrbid car driven by an eco friendly **** in a scarf slurping on organic root milk in a recyclable cup.

The closest thing you can get to ever really defining DC's past sounds - aside from deafening gun blasts on the other side of the city from where Mr. Green Car reigns supreme - would be the traditional and unique to DC GO-GO music of the black community.

There were some good punk and politically minded kind of jammers back in the day. To name a few : Minor Threat , Bad Brains (first black real punk band) Fugazi (older remnants of Minor Threat) Iron Cross, Immoral Discipline hmm that's all I got now.

VA and Baltimore had some good bands too.
Hahahahaha this is great

Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco81 View Post
So... The true sound of DC is the whisper of a hybrid car driven by an eco-friendly **** in a scarf slurping on organic root milk in a recyclable cup.
I think that's the saddest thing I've read in the last month. Really, it made me really sad.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I was driving from work today, and for some reason, I had absolutely nothing on radio to listen to. This got me wondering for a bit (because I was stuck in Traffic with the top down and nothing to listen to except for silence), what is the sound of DC?

I wondered about it. What sound defines DC? What music is the keystone of DC??

I grew up listening to Classic Rock (Allman Brothers, Doors, etc) and all of the hip hop and raps in Atlanta. I thought about what defines a city besides a food place (haha), then I came blank for DC.

Is there such thing as a music that defines a city? If yes, what music defines DC?

GoGo is the lifeblood of the DMV. It is alive and well all over the region.

In D.C., you can hear GoGo bands every week at the following venues depending on the night:

-Liv (2011 11th St. NW)(Black Alley Plays Tonight)
-Indulj (1208 U St. NW) (Back Yard Band Played Last Night)
-Love Night Club (1350 Okie St. NE) (Rare Essence Plays Tonight)
-Bar 7 (1015 1/2 7th St. NW) (Black Alley Band Played Last Night)
-Lux Lounge (649 New York Ave. NW) (Suttle Thoughts and Da Mixx Band Played Last Night)
-Capitale (1301 K St. NW) (Back Yard Band Played Last Night)
-Ibiza (1222 1st St. NE) (Back Yard Band Plays Tonight)
-Scene (2221 Adams Pl. NE) (Back Yard Band Plays Tomorrow)
-Aqua Lounge (1818 New York Ave. NE) (Back Yard Band Plays Mondays)
-Twelve Restaurant & Lounge (1123 H St. NE) (VYBE Band Plays Tonight)
-Dynasty­ (2210 14th St. NW)
-Martin’s Lounge (1919 9th St. NW)

In Maryland, you can hear GoGo bands every week at the following venues most nights:

-Half Note (4881 Glenn Dale Rd. Bowie, MD) (Be'La Donna Plays Tonight)
-Icon (2106 Crain Hwy. Waldorf, MD) (Junk Yard Band Played Last Night, W.H.A.T?! Band Plays Tomorrow)
-The Zone (5753 Crain Hwy, Upper Marlboro, Md) (VYBE Band Played Last Night)
-Upscales (3900 Bexley Pl. Suitland, MD) (Da Mixx Band Plays Tonight)
-Marygolds
-Tradewinds

This doesn't even touch on the bounce beat GoGo band scene. There are a ton of other bands playing in a ton of other venues, but I don't have time to search for everything. There are venues in VA too with bands playing.

Some Articles:
Readers' Poll: D.C.'s Best Go-Go Band 2013 - Washington City Paper
Go-go bands make their way back into city, but D.C.?s music is still a neglected treasure - Washington Post
24 Songs That Will Make You Love Go-Go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC