Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times

Advertisements

I can name at least five new apartment/condo buildings in NoMA and H Street area which the district did not have much of a hand in, and was not a major private/public project. They are pretty dominate the area in terms of new development. These were just private buildings which were thrown up. None of these required a significant investment by the public sector. His description is pretty accurate. Not everything is a massive public-private partnership with mixed income set asides. Most are just new buildings with no public investment for development. There is a big incentive to develop residential real estate in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 AM

684 posts, read 1,122,617 times
That is a big city.

That said, DC feels like various different cities.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
D.C. is already a lot larger than Seattle or Boston in metro population and GDP I do believe.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:28 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
D.C. is already a lot larger than Seattle or Boston in metro population and GDP I do believe.
DC needs to become a world class city like NYC. Its the capital of the U.S. after all.. so it should reflect the wealth and power of the U.S. like New York does. Even more so IMO.

I'm glad we seem to be on that path.

The image of DC as "the Government" and just a bunch of "monuments" is deeply insulting to the city. Its an undermining and ignorant image of DC. Its the image the media puts out. The image of DC needs to be "The Capital" not "The Government". DC should have the best of the best the country offers. It needs to be a real capital city.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
DC has only recently surpassed these cities, it actually had a smaller population until 2013. DC is just growing so quickly.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,617 times
In terms of attractions, its an awesome city.

The museums alone make it #1 for me.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
DC needs to become a world class city like NYC. Its the capital of the U.S. after all.. so it should reflect the wealth and power of the U.S. like New York does. Even more so IMO.

The image of DC as "the Government" and just a bunch of "monuments" is deeply insulting to the city. Its an undermining and ignorant image of DC. Its the image the media puts out. The image of DC needs to be "The Capital" not "The Government". DC should have the best of the best the country offers. It needs to be a real capital city.
The wealth and power per-capita? Or median wealth and power? As would be representative of the nation's people? That's not happening.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post

The whole idea of DC back in the day was for it to be separate from the power and wealth of the US, very unlike Europe on purpose. I think we should be really worried that DC has become an epicenter of so much wealth and power when other areas are not keeping up.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The whole idea of DC back in the day was for it to be separate from the power and wealth of the US, very unlike Europe on purpose. I think we should be really worried that DC has become an epicenter of so much wealth and power when other areas are not keeping up.
If i'm reading your post correctly, I believe your sentiments are quite the opposite of the need for a federal district as contemplated in the federalist papers.

James Madison argued the need for a federal district BECAUSE of the significant power and wealth committed to it by the States. The idea was that the district would be created so that it would not be subject to undue influence of any individual state in which it resided, and that an individual state would not benefit from the ongoing 'public pledge' of resources from all of the states to build and maintain a federal seat of government.

That point aside, I do think we should be worried about the health of our economy. I also think that when you get down to the realities of policies that try to punish our federal district's relative economic success as a way to address economic inequities nationally, we've seen highly ineffective, damaging and embarrassing outcomes.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
If i'm reading your post correctly, I believe your sentiments are quite the opposite of the need for a federal district as contemplated in the federalist papers.

James Madison argued the need for a federal district BECAUSE of the significant power and wealth committed to it by the States. The idea was that the district would be created so that it would not be subject to undue influence of any individual state in which it resided, and that an individual state would not benefit from the ongoing 'public pledge' of resources from all of the states to build and maintain a federal seat of government.

That point aside, I do think we should be worried about the health of our economy. I also think that when you get down to the realities of policies that try to punish our federal district's relative economic success as a way to address economic inequities nationally, we've seen highly ineffective, damaging and embarrassing outcomes.
No, I'm all in favor of a federal district without any allegiance to a state (as well as not being a state itself). but they purposely put DC far away by 17th century standards so it wouldn't be corrupted by commerce - acting almost purely as a policy making capital and not a center of culture and commerce like European capitals or some people advocate today. I'm okay with maintaining some degree of power separation rather than trying to make DC compete with New York and such.

I also don't think there should be punitive action taken to artificially suppress DC's success as there's a lot more going on here now than just government, obviously, but the fact is that we had about $27 billion in federal spending in the DC area in 2000 and that jumped up to about $89 billion by 2010, mostly to fight the wars. It's coming back down now, despite what people think, and that's a better way to keep DC in check, in my opinion.

When you have nearly all the wealthiest areas in the country concentrated around government handouts for military contracts and such, it's a bad situation that doesn't reflect a healthy economic balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC