Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,357 times

Advertisements

The population was higher back when my grandmother was still living just off of 16th Street NW and that was a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:14 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No, I'm all in favor of a federal district without any allegiance to a state (as well as not being a state itself). but they purposely put DC far away by 17th century standards so it wouldn't be corrupted by commerce - acting almost purely as a policy making capital and not a center of culture and commerce like European capitals or some people advocate today. I'm okay with maintaining some degree of power separation rather than trying to make DC compete with New York and such.
I think DC should be like New York and it should be the center of culture and commerce. DC was corrupt the day the first shovel went into the ground to build it.

People forget that the founding fathers were not God. They were "winging it" when they founded this country. People act like they are perfect and infallible. I think that's absurd. These people owned slaves. We forget?

Screw that. Its 2014. Lets keep what is working and get rid of what is not working. If the U.S. is to remain a superpower it needs to adapt. It can't be stuck in the past. Being stuck in the past is how you become obsolete. 1776 is a long time ago. Almost nothing from that era is relevant now.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
I think DC should be like New York and it should be the center of culture and commerce. DC was corrupt the day the first shovel went into the ground to build it.

People forget that the founding fathers were not God. They were "winging it" when they founded this country. People act like they are perfect and infallible. I think that's absurd. These people owned slaves. We forget?

Screw that. Its 2014. Lets keep what is working and get rid of what is not working. If the U.S. is to remain a superpower it needs to adapt. It can't be stuck in the past. Being stuck in the past is how you become obsolete. 1776 is a long time ago. Almost nothing from that era is relevant now.
...except, you know, that whole, self-governance thing they came up with.

It's not about making them into gods or pretending they're infallible (strawmen galore!); it's just about keeping power distributed a little better so the commercial capital(s) and the political capital aren't too much in bed with each other. Maybe it's irrelevant with modern technology.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
it's just about keeping power distributed a little better so the commercial capital(s) and the political capital aren't too much in bed with each other. Maybe it's irrelevant with modern technology.
Too late for that! In fact its been too late for a long time.

NYC is only 4 hours away. Once travel by air, rail and automobile become common.. the location of DC became irrelevant. COMPLETELY irrelevant. Even more now with the Internet.

Like I said... time to turn this place into the next NYC.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Too late for that! In fact its been too late for a long time.

NYC is only 4 hours away. Once travel by air, rail and automobile become common.. the location of DC became irrelevant. COMPLETELY irrelevant. Even more now with the Internet.

Like I said... time to turn this place into the next NYC.
Ugh. What is it with the obsession over comparing DC to NYC...

As you settle into your life here, learn to appreciate DC for what it is - for what already makes it far better than NYC in a lot of ways. It packs a lot for a much smaller city and provides a much higher quality of life in many regards.

Plus, distance is really not irrelevant, as much as people think the internet has made it so. If the Capitol and Wall Street shared the same neighborhood, it would be even more of a disaster than it already is. Good to separate the powers.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:

As you settle into your life here, learn to appreciate DC for what it is - for what already makes it far better than NYC in a lot of ways. It packs a lot for a much smaller city and provides a much higher quality of life in many regards.

Plus, distance is really not irrelevant, as much as people think the internet has made it so. If the Capitol and Wall Street shared the same neighborhood, it would be even more of a disaster than it already is. Good to separate the powers.
It's just something we New Yorkers do. Can't help it.

But usually there is no comparison. The DC of 30 years ago was no comparison. Only recently has DC started to come out of its shell.

The only reason I believe DC should be more like NYC is because it's the U.S. Capital. Otherwise I would agree with you.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:

+500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC