Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM

10 posts, read 15,077 times

Advertisements

I am booking hotels at Georgetown. I am paranoid about hotel safety because of past experience.

I booked to Georgetown Suites. From Google, looks like it's a converted apt, probably poor management of security. Anyone lived here before?

I read on yelp,
"The more troubling issue, however is the fact that I was able to gain complete and unfettered access to another person's hotel room without even so much as an I.D. check or telephone call to the named reservation holder. This seems to invite all sorts of malfeasance. "

^Are you serious?!?!??!?! SHOULD I CHANGE MY HOTEL???

source: http://www.yelp.com/biz/georgetown-suites-washington

I need safety is first before all else.

I read this a while back, the story still haunts me. Elisa Lam Missing: Video Released By LAPD (VIDEO)

Last edited by xnchen; 02-03-2014 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
Georgetown is one of the safest and richest areas in DC.

You are probably safer in a Georgetown hotel than wherever you are now.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM

At Georgetown Suites, you can enter another person's room without access key.

Here's what the yelper said:
"The more troubling issue, however is the fact that I was able to gain complete and unfettered access to another person's hotel room without even so much as an I.D. check or telephone call to the named reservation holder. This seems to invite all sorts of malfeasance."

source: Georgetown Suites - Georgetown - Washington, DC

Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnchen View Post
At Georgetown Suites, you can enter another person's room without access key.

Here's what the yelper said:
"The more troubling issue, however is the fact that I was able to gain complete and unfettered access to another person's hotel room without even so much as an I.D. check or telephone call to the named reservation holder. This seems to invite all sorts of malfeasance."

source: Georgetown Suites - Georgetown - Washington, DC
Why did you ask if you already made up your mind?

If you were asking of Georgetown is a "high crime" area of DC.. the answer is no.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:23 AM

Hi, I understand that Georgetown is a great area.

I have edited the question a bit from your first reply. I am posting because I am concerned about that hotel.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Stay home

Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 AM

153 posts, read 306,473 times
If you look through online reviews hard enough you'll find negatives for ALL places. Those hotels are safe and fine.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2789 View Post
Those hotels are safe and fine.
Thanks Matt, that's what I am looking to hear, although avoiding confirmation bias at the same time.

@DCforever: did you have some hot sauce for breakfast? Mighty rude here.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:24 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Safety is a product of you mental prepardness. Someone seeking reassurance on a message board is not mentally prepared for a visit to any major city.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnchen View Post
Thanks Matt, that's what I am looking to hear, although avoiding confirmation bias at the same time.

@DCforever: did you have some hot sauce for breakfast? Mighty rude here.
Why is that reassuring to you? Does that poster know the nuances of door protocol in that hotel?
I've never heard of people having access to others' rooms, even at the seediest hotels. The best anyone can tell you is it's a safe area and a reputable hotel.

Remember people post fake reviews out of spite sometimes. Unless it's a trend, I wouldn't worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC