Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

494 posts, read 849,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's basically about Education.

Educated people have a lot of facts and knowledge about 'the evils of Diet Coke' and other common well-known recent health awareness.

Diet Coke, cheeseburgers, fatty bacon, McDonalds, candy, etc., all of these things are seen as things that uneducated people eat and drink. It's seen that they aren't educated enough, or aware enough, to get away from the cancer-creating diets and obesity-creating foods.

Over the last 20 years or so, foods that are filled with chemicals, on and on, have become extremely unpopular among educated people. Hence, entire new chains that have popped up to cater to those demands.
I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or if you are being serious, but I'll take your comment at face value.

Implying that a Whole Foods is necessary for healthy eating is absurd. Implying that the alternative to organic grocery is 'cheeseburgers, fatty bacon, McDonalds and candy' is ridiculous. You can get a completely healthy grocery list from Safeway and spend a lot less money doing it.
The smugness of the post is off the charts. I think you could substitute 'Educated people' with 'people who are really susceptible to Whole Food's marketing and groupthink'

I like Whole foods. Their hot bar and salad and soup bar is incredible. The foods I can get there are awesome. I actually like going there to shop. It's an experience all in itself. I just think it would be crazy to use it as your primary grocery store and wish neighborhoods were clamoring for a Harris Teeter or Safeway instead of all competing for the Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post

I like Whole foods. Their hot bar and salad and soup bar is incredible. The foods I can get there are awesome. I actually like going there to shop. It's an experience all in itself. I just think it would be crazy to use it as your primary grocery store and wish neighborhoods were clamoring for a Harris Teeter or Safeway instead of all competing for the Whole Foods.

Both you and I agree. The prepared food section at Whole Foods is par excellence. I also appreciate their butcher shop which at least presents their offerings better than other grocers besides Wegmans. I live near what will be PG's first Whole Foods and also a planned and approved urban style Safeway at UTC (finally). I'm excited for both. But since I just had a kid, I think we'll be spending more time in Safeway. Whole Foods can get deep into your pockets quick if you're not careful.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 PM

536 posts, read 611,168 times
Shocked at folks who think the food at the food bar at wholefoods is incredible or excellent. I am by no means a food snob either. Maybe I go to the wrong wholefoods. The three locations I have tried (all multiple times) were tasteless, did not taste fresh and were, quite frankly, over priced and bland. Plus any meat I have gotten was dry. I have tried the items in the food bar at Foggy Bottom, Chevy Chase (near the Friendships Heights Metro) and, if I recall, either Georgetown or Tenleytown (perhaps both). Never been impressed and found the food passable. Unremarkable, really. Please give me a specific Whole foods and specific item from the food bar to try and I will give it one more try but I enter with very low expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post

It's an experience all in itself.
In experience in frustration, if you are talking about the Chevy Chase location. The line system is completely insane and does not make sense. Yah, they have an express line hidden away in some corner of produce but that only accepts 5 items and usually just one cashier. But if you have anywhere between 6-12 items (most normal express lanes allow a dozen give or take 1 to 2) you are stuck behind dozens of people doing a weeks worth of shopping, with your 6-12 items. They don't hire enough cashiers so the line is always snaking around the store with dozens more people coming...and then eventually, from the big line, you have to choose 1 of 3 lines which is totally a crapshoot (I've had people behind me reach the cashier before me). Whole foods is good for a whole nights watsed time.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM

494 posts, read 849,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
Shocked at folks who think the food at the food bar at wholefoods is incredible or excellent. I am by no means a food snob either. Maybe I go to the wrong wholefoods. The three locations I have tried (all multiple times) were tasteless, did not taste fresh and were, quite frankly, over priced and bland. Plus any meat I have gotten was dry. I have tried the items in the food bar at Foggy Bottom, Chevy Chase (near the Friendships Heights Metro) and, if I recall, either Georgetown or Tenleytown (perhaps both). Never been impressed and found the food passable. Unremarkable, really. Please give me a specific Whole foods and specific item from the food bar to try and I will give it one more try but I enter with very low expectations.
Chicago Lincoln Park Location. Probably not much help to you though.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post

In experience in frustration, if you are talking about the Chevy Chase location. The line system is completely insane and does not make sense. Yah, they have an express line hidden away in some corner of produce but that only accepts 5 items and usually just one cashier. But if you have anywhere between 6-12 items (most normal express lanes allow a dozen give or take 1 to 2) you are stuck behind dozens of people doing a weeks worth of shopping, with your 6-12 items. They don't hire enough cashiers so the line is always snaking around the store with dozens more people coming...and then eventually, from the big line, you have to choose 1 of 3 lines which is totally a crapshoot (I've had people behind me reach the cashier before me). Whole foods is good for a whole nights watsed time.
I checked one time. Whole Foods hot bar is actually the same price per pound as any normal grocery buffet.

Also, from what I've seen, the line system is pretty impressive. They move a lot of people far more quickly than a conventional checkout system. When you get to the front, you go to the register that is announced and shown on screen. Pretty simple.

Last edited by Bluefly; 03-25-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
A lot of people were raised on health food before whole foods or trader joe's existed.

Some people on here be buggin' out with the snobbiness; like they know
everything because of their college lol. If it took you that long to get hip
to healthy eating, you were already late.
Statistically, that's not true. Sure there are exceptions, but in the US diets in lower income communities tend to be heavily deep fried, loaded with carbs, heavily processed, and/or laden with pesticides. You can see evidence if it in the significantly higher obesity rates in lower income areas.

It's actually a big public health issue agencies and nonprofits are trying to address in part by providing more fresh food options in neighborhoods where the local corner store usually sells nothing but boxed food.

So, Tiger Beer is generally correct. More traditional low income communities in Asia, Africa, and South America tend to eat much healthier than here.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ Statistically, I guess the majority of us in america are stupid,
but that does not mean everybody. It's not our fault that u.s.
companies get away with selling and feeding us garbage. Just
because you're from a low income community does not automatically
mean you don't eat healthy foods and just the upper income
community does.

Sometimes I don't get why you waste time trying to put
me in a box yo. You don't have all the sense either, so
stop trying to check me every chance you get, son.

Maybe you don't know any poor vegetarians or poor
righteous teachers, for that matter. It doesn't seem
like it anyway.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ Statistically, I guess the majority of us in america are stupid,
but that does not mean everybody. It's not our fault that u.s.
companies get away with selling and feeding us garbage. Just
because you're from a low income community does not automatically
mean you don't eat healthy foods and just the upper income
community does.

Sometimes I don't get why you waste time trying to put
me in a box yo. You don't have all the sense either, so
stop trying to check me every chance you get, son.

Maybe you don't know any poor vegetarians or poor
righteous teachers, for that matter. It doesn't seem
like it anyway.
I don't know anything about you to put you in a box but you apparently don't know what "statistically" means. I specifically said there's exceptions but far more common is the fast food / grease / deep fried diet among low income folks, regardless of ethnicity.

I've, personally, known several who broke from that statistical norm.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ you're right, but sheesh, man. you be real technical.
you basically repeated what I said at first with different
words.

you must really be a bluefly lol. it's ok tho.
no hard feelings.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 AM

64 posts, read 94,360 times
I've been to a whole foods once and it looked better than my wegmans... so I would love to live near a Whole Foods. I think WF and Wegmans are way better than safeway in terms of the selection and freshness of the organic produce. Wegmans is surprisingly cheaper than my local safeway. I'm not sure why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: