Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen this in awhile but there used to be a lot of bitter people on this board posting about how "DC has no music scene," "nothing creative goes on here," blah blah blah.

Very good article in Pitchfork today about how wrong that is: The Rise of DC Street Rap | The Pitch | Pitchfork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:35 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
I saw this guy on Fox 5 last night:

Pay It Forward: Musical Cop - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Dude can spit! And I love the production!! His album is on iTunes as well, look for "Parallel Universe" by CHELLS.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I haven't seen this in awhile but there used to be a lot of bitter people on this board posting about how "DC has no music scene," "nothing creative goes on here," blah blah blah.

Very good article in Pitchfork today about how wrong that is: The Rise of DC Street Rap | The Pitch | Pitchfork
correction: theres no local music scene that white gentrifiers and hipsters can relate to. DC was and still is a Go-Go town. Whether you like it or not, no other city does Go-Go besides DC. If thats not unique idk what is....

Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
correction: theres no local music scene that white gentrifiers and hipsters can relate to. DC was and still is a Go-Go town. Whether you like it or not, no other city does Go-Go besides DC. If thats not unique idk what is....
That's not true either. There are local indie rock shows going on at venues like DC9, the Velvet Lounge, Galaxy Hut all the time. Definitely not as vibrant as the go-go scene but it still exists.

Every summer including this one they do shows at Fort Reno that are mostly local white hipstery indie rock bands. Next show July 24: Fort Reno

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
That's not true either. There are local indie rock shows going on at venues like DC9, the Velvet Lounge, Galaxy Hut all the time. Definitely not as vibrant as the go-go scene but it still exists.

Every summer including this one they do shows at Fort Reno that are mostly local white hipstery indie rock bands. Next show July 24: Fort Reno
As well indie acts at Black Cat and 9:30 Club. DC's enjoying a Rock renaissance it wasn't seen since the HarDCore Punk scene of the '80s. Hip Hop is on the rise here in the DMV and so is House music and EDM. And with the credentials of long being a city/metro area of Soul, Gospel, R&B, Quiet Storm, Jazz, Funk, and Go-Go, the DMV is finally being taken even more seriously today as a cauldron for musical talent. The music industry might not have a strong presence here like it does in New York, Atlanta, LA, Miami, or Chicago, but I think we've been getting by pretty well with a lot underground/mainstream Hip Hop acts, indie Rockers, class A/B R&B stars, Go-Go heads, and EDMists. I suppose the overall music scene here is similar to New Orleans, St. Louis, or the Bay Area.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
As well indie acts at Black Cat and 9:30 Club. DC's enjoying a Rock renaissance it wasn't seen since the HarDCore Punk scene of the '80s. Hip Hop is on the rise here in the DMV and so is House music and EDM. And with the credentials of long being a city/metro area of Soul, Gospel, R&B, Quiet Storm, Jazz, Funk, and Go-Go, the DMV is finally being taken even more seriously today as a cauldron for musical talent. The music industry might not have a strong presence here like it does in New York, Atlanta, LA, Miami, or Chicago, but I think we've been getting by pretty well with a lot underground/mainstream Hip Hop acts, indie Rockers, class A/B R&B stars, Go-Go heads, and EDMists. I suppose the overall music scene here is similar to New Orleans, St. Louis, or the Bay Area.
I didn't mention Black Cat and 9:30 Club because generally they get national touring acts, not local acts, but yeah sometimes they have local bands too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC