Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I don't see how these wealthy team owners can build these huge monstrosities only to abandon them after only 20 years. Also I think any new stadium, if it is going to be inside the beltway, it MUST take advantage of metro and for goodness sakes build parking garages instead of paving over 100 acres of land. M&T Field seems to get the job done nicely without requiring huge oceans of asphalt. Locate close to a metro and force people to take mass transit by limiting parking.
Yea as much as I dislike FedEx, the paint is still drying on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Where do you think he moving the Stadium???? Do you think it's going to stay in Maryland

Snyder: Redskins have "started the process" of planning new stadium | Comcast SportsNet Washington

Why doesn't he build a new stadium in the District?

They are the Washington Redskins, not the Fairfax or Chevy Chase Redskins!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
It's really shameful that stadiums that get used maybe 20-30 times a year (including things like concerts, soccer matches, and special college games) and cost hundreds of millions of dollars to build are now considered "old" not even 20 years after opening. Of course this is probably all about Dan Snyder feeling inadequate and trying to come up with something to rival JerryWorld.

In all fairness to Danny Boy, FedEx is a huge dump. It's a remnant of the era when stadiums were built out in the suburbs with nothing around it, it's a pain to get to even with Metro, and I've never really enjoyed going to catch a game there.

If they were to build a new stadium, I'd be interested to see if they could demolish RFK and build there.
Unless Dan gets out of the contract, they are going to be at FedEx until 2027 so by that point you're looking at 30+ years. I feel like this was coordinated, talk about the possibility of a new stadium to deflect the attention towards the name, and everyone bought it.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Either put the stadium back in DC on the RFK site or leave it where it is.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM

359 posts, read 476,798 times
You all do know that "building on the RFK site" is not as simple as it sounds, right?

That land is owned by the federal government and leased to the city with the terms something along the lines of "for as long as the stadium is used for sporting events". It would literally take an act of Congress for Danny boy to be allowed to build his ego dome on that site. I don't doubt that he can buy the right people off, but he can't just pull up one day in a bulldozer and get going.

Also, that pesky soccer team still plays at RFK and RFK won't be knocked down until they either get a new stadium (Buzzard Point is looking like a 60% chance of actually happening) or give up and move out of town.

This for sure is a long term thing... no way shovels hit the ground in less than 3-4 years.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
DC United stadium at Buzzard Point is basically a done deal. I know a few years back they mentioned Popular Point as a site for a new stadium. That whole area is next up to be revitalized.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
First of all the title of this thread should be changed immediately. Snyder clearly said that all 3 jurisdictions DC/MD/VA will be considered... Now I see why many posters could never become journalists.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 AM

359 posts, read 476,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC United stadium at Buzzard Point is basically a done deal. I know a few years back they mentioned Popular Point as a site for a new stadium. That whole area is next up to be revitalized.
I am wayyyy to jaded over Poplar Point and the PG County fiasco to consider anything a done deal until earth is moving

Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
You all do know that "building on the RFK site" is not as simple as it sounds, right?

That land is owned by the federal government and leased to the city with the terms something along the lines of "for as long as the stadium is used for sporting events". It would literally take an act of Congress for Danny boy to be allowed to build his ego dome on that site. I don't doubt that he can buy the right people off, but he can't just pull up one day in a bulldozer and get going.

Also, that pesky soccer team still plays at RFK and RFK won't be knocked down until they either get a new stadium (Buzzard Point is looking like a 60% chance of actually happening) or give up and move out of town.

This for sure is a long term thing... no way shovels hit the ground in less than 3-4 years.
Indeed.

DC cannot even get its school boundaries set. When JKC tried to build a new stadium it was chaos.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 AM

741 posts, read 1,112,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post

That land is owned by the federal government and leased to the city with the terms something along the lines of "for as long as the stadium is used for sporting events". It would literally take an act of Congress for Danny boy to be allowed to build his ego dome on that site.
A new stadium, domed or not, at the RFK would be used for sporting events, right?

What's the difference in how the site is being use now? None.

Pretty straightforward.

And, no land acquisition costs for the city to deal with. The RFK site should be at the top of the list for consideration. The metro station there had already been upgraded for stadium traffic years ago. And people can easily and quickly walk from the metro to the stadium. And uses buses and the streetcar to get there as well. And, we're going for the 2024 Olympics, so the stadium could be used for that event as well. This all seems like a win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: