Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,000 times

Advertisements

I plan to visit DC in November do so some tourism photography. What sections of DC are dangerous to visit day and night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
There are a lot of dangerous parts, but if you're going to the usual tourist attractions you're really unlikely to end up in a bad neighborhood. If you're going to the National Mall, the Capitol, the Cathedral, Arlington Cemetery, etc. you would only end up in a bad neighborhood if you really made an effort to get lost. I'm not saying you are likely to end up in a bad place if you do stray from the beaten path, but there's a chance. Where exactly are you planning to visit?

As a general rule, stick to the western side of the Anacostia River. That's not to say that ALL of DC east of the Anacostia is dangerous, but a lot of it is. That's also not to say that that all of DC west of the river is safe, but most of it is safe. There's also very little reason as a tourist you would end up east of the River so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Frederick Douglass National Historic Site is one of a very few tourist locales east of the River.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the help. I plan to go to the main tourist areas. I will take my bike to pedal around. But I'd also like to go to some of the outskirts of DC to shoot some pictures with DC in the background. Here is an example of how far I'd like to extend my exploration.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JYvVImWMHk...he+Capitol.jpg

Of course, I don't know how it all looks nowadays as that picture was taken around 1948. I was just wondering how far to explore and still be safe in the daytime.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:35 AM

37 posts, read 83,524 times
there's an area just east of the anacostia river souza bridge referred to as "Hilltop". It's off of Pennsylvania Avenue, around Minnesota Avenue and 23rd. I think it's the highest elevation in and around D.C.

I ride the commuter bus and we cut through that neighborhood every day. There are spectacular views of the city from there. the foliage might block your best views. but if you're here after the leaves have fallen, you'll have more access to photographic views.

as far as safety, it's a pretty neighborhood, well kept up. you have to be careful nowadays, no matter where you are though.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:45 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
It's hard to tell exactly where that photo was taken from, but based on the view of the Capitol building it looks to be less than a mile from the Capitol. So that's not on the outskirts of DC at all. You'll be pretty close to the well-beaten tourist path if that's as far out as you go.
There is a somewhat dicey area about a mile north of the Capitol. Around North Capitol St and L St NW there is a housing project called Sursum Corda. I would avoid that area at night.
Other than that, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:06 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
I don't think you will have much of an issue with safety almost anywhere in DC during the daytime, particularly the tourist attractions and in the touristy areas.

DCs worst neighborhoods and blocks tend to be industrial or residential, nothing really that would attract a tourist for photography.

The one touristy place I can think of that is in a bad neighborhood is Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens. But I dont believe safety will be a major issue there during the day time.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:53 PM

465 posts, read 658,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenkaye View Post
there's an area just east of the anacostia river souza bridge referred to as "Hilltop". It's off of Pennsylvania Avenue, around Minnesota Avenue and 23rd. I think it's the highest elevation in and around D.C.

I ride the commuter bus and we cut through that neighborhood every day. There are spectacular views of the city from there. the foliage might block your best views. but if you're here after the leaves have fallen, you'll have more access to photographic views.

as far as safety, it's a pretty neighborhood, well kept up. you have to be careful nowadays, no matter where you are though.
The neighborhood is called Hillcrest not hilltop.

Hillcrest, Washington, DC

Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
If you keep your wits about you and apply common sense then you will be OK anywhere in D.C.

Don't believe the hype...D.C. is no longer the "Murder Capital".

Old 09-30-2014, 07:01 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
That picture was only a few blocks from the Capitol which means it's a very safe neighborhood.

Best place for pictures of DC is the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, VA. It has a direct sight line of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and the Capitol Building. This is where those famous pics on postcards are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC