Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 12,013 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some insight as to which city may be best suited for what I am looking for. I am a 30 year old female from New Orleans, LA. I have a career in sales and make a decent living. Last year I made around $85,000. So I think I can afford to live in either. I am looking to relocate to either Washington, DC or Houston, TX. Which city can offer what I am looking for? Diversity, Culture, Dating Life, Night Life, Career Opp, and best Quality of Life.

Just looking for some general opinions and information. Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 02:24 PM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
Looking at Washington, DC.

Racial and Ethnic Diversity...Check

Culture...Nope. Coming from New Orleans, DC will be a noticeable downgrade in this category for you.

Dating Life...Depends on whom you ask. I think women have a slightly tougher time in dating market than men only because there are more younger women living and working in DC. The sex ratio is slightly out of whack. Not saying two women are going mixed-martial arts combat over one man they just met at a club but the competition is there. It's real.

Night Life...Meh. Not as hopping like NYC but you can find enough things to do for fun and partying.

Career Opportunities...Check. There are a ton of businesses looking to hire experienced sales managers around here.

Quality of Life...Check if you are making a fabulous income. Like over $100,000 income. If you are not making The Coin then DC becomes not such a fun place.

You forgot to ask about real estate. You will get far more bang for the buck in Houston than in Washington, DC. The market rents here will make your jaw hit the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA121883 View Post
I am looking for some insight as to which city may be best suited for what I am looking for. I am a 30 year old female from New Orleans, LA. I have a career in sales and make a decent living. Last year I made around $85,000. So I think I can afford to live in either. I am looking to relocate to either Washington, DC or Houston, TX. Which city can offer what I am looking for? Diversity, Culture, Dating Life, Night Life, Career Opp, and best Quality of Life.

Just looking for some general opinions and information. Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-16-2014, 02:46 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
"Sales" is pretty broad and jobs in sales can be found all over the country. What is it specifically about DC that draws you to it versus all the other places in the country where you could do sales? DC is one of the most expensive areas in the country, right behind NYC and San Francisco. You could buy an entire house with land in Houston and most other parts of the country for the price of a 1 bedroom condo here.
I love it here but I do a very specialized kind of job and DC is by far the best part of the country for my work.
If I worked some job like sales that is found everywhere, I would need to have a very good reason to move to DC and pay so much more for housing.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM

88 posts, read 192,697 times
Houston.

You can live like a queen in Houston on $85k.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
Depends on what your likes and dislikes are. I know for me I enjoyed Houston when I visited but could never live there. You have to drive EVERYWHERE as everything is so far apart, and the humidity is ridiculous. I'm a city boy at heart so give me DC and its Metro with some Uber on the side

Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your opinion and information!

What draws me to DC, was having four seasons. Down here we only have hot, hotter and cool. LOL I also like the aspect of not needing a car, using the metro and/or walking around town.

Thanks again! I appreciate it!

Old 11-17-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
"Sales" is pretty broad and jobs in sales can be found all over the country. What is it specifically about DC that draws you to it versus all the other places in the country where you could do sales? DC is one of the most expensive areas in the country, right behind NYC and San Francisco. You could buy an entire house with land in Houston and most other parts of the country for the price of a 1 bedroom condo here.
I love it here but I do a very specialized kind of job and DC is by far the best part of the country for my work.
If I worked some job like sales that is found everywhere, I would need to have a very good reason to move to DC and pay so much more for housing.

I am in advertising sales. I work for Gannett

Old 11-17-2014, 02:29 PM

88 posts, read 192,697 times
If you're going to live here for the short term, I'd say yea DC. But if you're looking at something more permanent, I'd say Houston.

Sure, you won't have a car, but be ready to shell out $1900 a month in rent. Unless you get a studio. Then maybe $1600.

I make $90k right now and I can't even stomach the thought of paying that much for rent. I've lived with a roommate ever since I moved to DC 4 years ago in order to save for a house. Got almost $90k saved up for a nice downpayment on one of these $450k condos. Ridic.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdumaU View Post
If you're going to live here for the short term, I'd say yea DC. But if you're looking at something more permanent, I'd say Houston.

Sure, you won't have a car, but be ready to shell out $1900 a month in rent. Unless you get a studio. Then maybe $1600.

I make $90k right now and I can't even stomach the thought of paying that much for rent. I've lived with a roommate ever since I moved to DC 4 years ago in order to save for a house. Got almost $90k saved up for a nice downpayment on one of these $450k condos. Ridic.
You can get a place that's not that expensive without it being a studio. Stop exaggerating, plus she'll be saving more money in DC without the car. In Houston you need to drive everywhere. Gas, taking your car to get fixed all adds up.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:50 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdumaU View Post
Houston.

You can live like a queen in Houston on $85k.
But at the end of the day, you'll be in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: