Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times

Advertisements

If you want a walkable community and four seasons, DC is the better option, it is not even close in that respect.

One thing to take in mind it will be a bit of a culture and price shock though. DC is an expensive, liberal city, and not what I would call friendly. Over half the population has a college education, and almost one third has a graduate degree. If you are highly educated professional, the city and it's culture can be great. Somebody called DC hollywood for nerds, and that is pretty accurate. It is a very career oriented city, and not everybody likes that.

Culturally, one thing to keep in mind this is subjective, if one likes jazz, rock, and classical music, DC is fine, in fact in some cases great. DC also has a pretty good theater scene as well, with a couple of great companies. The city also has a pretty large number of African musicians. With that being said, if you like country music you will be out of luck.

As somebody mentioned, the cost of housing is very high, except when it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:11 PM

144 posts, read 259,659 times
$85k in Houston is like $65k in Washington, DC. However, I've been to Houston many times and could not wait to get the hell out - once paying $300 out of my own pocket to leave on an earlier flight.

These are two very different cities, you need to go to both and stay for a week in order to experience it, but Houston for me is staid, boring and un-moving.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:05 AM

158 posts, read 333,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridian View Post
$85k in Houston is like $65k in Washington, DC. However, I've been to Houston many times and could not wait to get the hell out - once paying $300 out of my own pocket to leave on an earlier flight.

These are two very different cities, you need to go to both and stay for a week in order to experience it, but Houston for me is staid, boring and un-moving.
Wouldn't 85k in Houston be more like 105k in Washington D.C.?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 AM

88 posts, read 192,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post
Wouldn't 85k in Houston be more like 105k in Washington D.C.?
More like $140k

You gotta know where to go in Houston. It's a big city and if you live in the burbs, it's a little boring. Tons of great restaurants. Great shopping at the Galleria. Great sports city even though the Astros are terrible right now and the Texans are rebuilding.

Yes, it's a different lifestyle with entertainment based around hanging out with friends at restaurants and bars. If you're a super cultured person going to the theater all the time and museums every weekend, sure DC is better for you. If you're chill, want to live a comfortable lifestyle with a close knit group of folks, Houston is way better.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdumaU View Post
More like $140k

You gotta know where to go in Houston. It's a big city and if you live in the burbs, it's a little boring. Tons of great restaurants. Great shopping at the Galleria. Great sports city even though the Astros are terrible right now and the Texans are rebuilding.

Yes, it's a different lifestyle with entertainment based around hanging out with friends at restaurants and bars. If you're a super cultured person going to the theater all the time and museums every weekend, sure DC is better for you. If you're chill, want to live a comfortable lifestyle with a close knit group of folks, Houston is way better.
One has to consider one living in the city a car is not a necessity of DC, so it is closer to $105,000. Transportation costs are part of the equation, and living in a walkable community is more likely in DC.

With that being said, as a super cultured person, the nature and quality of the cultural amenities why cities like Houston are not even a consideration for some of us. DC is very strong on the high culture with the Kennedy Center, Museums, and Theaters. Combine that with the walkable communities and decent public transit, the city is very livible, if you live inside the city or in one of the walkable inner ring suburban neighborhoods. The problem is because safe walkable communities are basically a rare commodity in the country for which the demand is increasing, they are increasing in value, and are thus expensive, and getting more expensive. DC is a northeastern city in the fact it's an older city, it has the high culture, and much of it is walkable. The thing is this isn't for everybody.

One has to seriously consider what they value in a city, and where they live. Is it a large house and a car, or is it a denser area with good amenties. Do you want good access to high culture? DC is a walkable city, Houston, really is not. The two cities in many ways could not be more different in many ways. Houston is a sprawling south western city which has larger houses, but requires driving everywhere, and DC in many ways is a walkable mid-atlantic one.

I should note every major city is going to have sports, DC is no exception. Not every city has a strong theater scene, the Kennedy Center, the National Shakespeare Company, the Smithsonian, Numerous Art museums, Embassies, etc.

For the city the size of DC, it is pretty exceptional in terms of high culture. But this is not for everybody. You really have to weigh the costs and benefits, and what one wants in a community.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 11-20-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 12:29 PM

144 posts, read 259,659 times
huh? No, DC is more expensive than Houston, so your dollar will go farther in Houston than in DC. So I stick to my original post that $85k in Houston is like $65k in DC.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridian View Post
huh? No, DC is more expensive than Houston, so your dollar will go farther in Houston than in DC. So I stick to my original post that $85k in Houston is like $65k in DC.
It's cheaper to live in Dogpatch too. The question is why would you want to live in a place because it's cheap? There is a reason it's cheap.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:10 PM

465 posts, read 658,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
If you want a walkable community and four seasons, DC is the better option, it is not even close in that respect.

One thing to take in mind it will be a bit of a culture and price shock though. DC is an expensive, liberal city, and not what I would call friendly. Over half the population has a college education, and almost one third has a graduate degree. If you are highly educated professional, the city and it's culture can be great. Somebody called DC hollywood for nerds, and that is pretty accurate. It is a very career oriented city, and not everybody likes that.

Culturally, one thing to keep in mind this is subjective, if one likes jazz, rock, and classical music, DC is fine, in fact in some cases great. DC also has a pretty good theater scene as well, with a couple of great companies. The city also has a pretty large number of African musicians. With that being said, if you like country music you will be out of luck.

As somebody mentioned, the cost of housing is very high, except when it is not.

To the OP, apparently some people have made a great many assumptions about you without even finding out what your cultural interests are. So let me clear some things up. The person that just gave you the layout of DC, is not originally from DC and she often views the city from her own small gentrified bubble. First, DC has been called Hollywood for nerds by well... Hollywood and other nerds. The whole city isn't like that at all. In fact, I would say that those kinds of people are in the minority here. I don't know what your race or ethnicity are but DC also offers a robust cultural experience for young AA professionals. DC has a great club scene for AA singles and tons of lounges and restaurants that you'll enjoy. If you love R&B and Hip-Hop/ Rap there are tons of venues here that host those kinds of entertainers and events. The DC area is also home to Prince Georges County, MD, where many affluent AA's also work and live. There are tons of business opportunities for young AA entrepreneurs here as well. We also have lots of shopping venues in and around the city. I want you to understand that there are essentially two DCs. The one that was described above which is boring and generally enjoyed by many non-Blacks and some transients and the then there is Black DC which is actually a very cool, laid back and creative place. DC can be somewhat socially Liberal, but in the AA community, there are also many that share some of the same Conservative values that you might be used to in NO. We also have several church organizations, Black fraternities and sororities located here too.

Like I said, I don't know what your race or ethnicity are and unlike some on C-D I don't want to assume them either. However, I don't want you to get the impression that DC is somehow this stiff, elitist place, where everybody is listening to classical music, attending Shakespeare plays and reading books all day. DC has plenty of cool people that aren't nearly that uptight, most of them just happen to be AA. What you'll probably want to do when you move here is associate yourself with Native Washingtonians who have been here the longest. That's really the only way that you'll really get to see and understand the entire city. BTW don't be intimidated by the COL here. If for some reason you can't afford to live in DC proper there are several nice close-in Suburban areas that might meet your housing needs. You don't necessarily have to live in the city proper to enjoy it. Good Luck!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA121883 View Post
I am looking for some insight as to which city may be best suited for what I am looking for. I am a 30 year old female from New Orleans, LA. I have a career in sales and make a decent living. Last year I made around $85,000. So I think I can afford to live in either. I am looking to relocate to either Washington, DC or Houston, TX. Which city can offer what I am looking for? Diversity, Culture, Dating Life, Night Life, Career Opp, and best Quality of Life.

Just looking for some general opinions and information. Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Whatever worked in New Orleans won't work here. Just letting you know. It's a lot more degrading here as a woman in sales.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
To the OP, apparently some people have made a great many assumptions about you without even finding out what your cultural interests are. So let me clear some things up. The person that just gave you the layout of DC, is not originally from DC and she often views the city from her own small gentrified bubble. First, DC has been called Hollywood for nerds by well... Hollywood and other nerds. The whole city isn't like that at all. In fact, I would say that those kinds of people are in the minority here. I don't know what your race or ethnicity are but DC also offers a robust cultural experience for young AA professionals. DC has a great club scene for AA singles and tons of lounges and restaurants that you'll enjoy. If you love R&B and Hip-Hop/ Rap there are tons of venues here that host those kinds of entertainers and events. The DC area is also home to Prince Georges County, MD, where many affluent AA's also work and live. There are tons of business opportunities for young AA entrepreneurs here as well. We also have lots of shopping venues in and around the city. I want you to understand that there are essentially two DCs. The one that was described above which is boring and generally enjoyed by many non-Blacks and some transients and the then there is Black DC which is actually a very cool, laid back and creative place. DC can be somewhat socially Liberal, but in the AA community, there are also many that share some of the same Conservative values that you might be used to in NO. We also have several church organizations, Black fraternities and sororities located here too.

Like I said, I don't know what your race or ethnicity are and unlike some on C-D I don't want to assume them either. However, I don't want you to get the impression that DC is somehow this stiff, elitist place, where everybody is listening to classical music, attending Shakespeare plays and reading books all day. DC has plenty of cool people that aren't nearly that uptight, most of them just happen to be AA. What you'll probably want to do when you move here is associate yourself with Native Washingtonians who have been here the longest. That's really the only way that you'll really get to see and understand the entire city. BTW don't be intimidated by the COL here. If for some reason you can't afford to live in DC proper there are several nice close-in Suburban areas that might meet your housing needs. You don't necessarily have to live in the city proper to enjoy it. Good Luck!!!
I don't think anything you said is wrong or out of line. But the culture shock statement DS made isn't too off in terms of OVERALL culture and the texture of this city, not only race/ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: