Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be traveling to DC this weekend for pleasure, with a companion. Where can I go for an outstanding meal? For those who have eaten in many different cities, suggestions of locations that define, unique DC-style cuisine would be appreciated; that can range from a dive to high-end, doesn't matter so long as the food is excellent and the atmosphere is pleasant, but not ridiculous. I am staying in the northern part of Georgetown, I am willing to drive up to an hour's distance from this location. Also, suggestions for parking at these locations would help me out.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
go to NYC or Philly instead? I had better French meals in Georgia than here.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
For something unique to DC, I would suggest:

High-end: Old Ebbit Grill

Ethnic: DC has the second largest Ethiopian population outside of Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia), and is home to some excellent Ethiopian restaurants. Look up Selam on 15th and U Street

Fast food: Ben's Chilli Bowl. Not spectacular, but decent. A DC staple there is the "half-smoke"

Other than that, it really depends on what type of food/cuisine you are looking for, DC and its suburbs have more or less everything to offer

Old 01-28-2015, 08:50 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
If you really want a memorable fine-dining experience, go to Komi. If you can't get in there, go to Obelisk. 1789 is about as old-school Georgetown as you can get.

Old Ebbitt Grill is perfectly fine but it's not fine dining and it's not earth-shattering.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Ethiopian is probably the best bet for DC, way to many places to list as well. Pho in Arlington is also a good idea. There are way to many places to list. I would not recommend Ben's as much as an institution it is.

Roses Luxury is a good thing to try if you have the time to get there early.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:35 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
Forgot to add: Zaytinia for upscale Greek and Mediterranean cuisine.

Pricey but won't break the bank. Delicious food, definitely could be considered a DC institution

Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Thanks everyone for the responses, I have decided that 30 minutes one way would be my max time I would like to drive. I figured there would certainly be an enormous number of places to try. The suggestions are great.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
go to NYC or Philly instead? I had better French meals in Georgia than here.
Ignore this guy. Check out some of these places:

Tico (14th St in the U Street neighborhood, it's a Spanish/Latin American restaurant with some good food and drinks that match the affordable prices. The decor and people-watching are really nice). $$

Rose's Luxury (In Capitol Hill along the 8th Street SE strip, recently named the best new restaurant of 2014 two months ago). $$$

Founding Farmers (One of the best restaurants in DC with an eclectic farm-to-table New American dishes with origins across the Mid-Atlantic region. It's in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Downtown DC). $$

Zenebach Injera (Very inexpensive in every sense of the world. Top quality Ethiopian food and drinks, I highly recommend their Awaze Tibs. Their cooking can take a bit of a while sometimes but trust me, it'll be worth the wait. It's a divey restaurant on T Street in Shaw heading towards the LeDroit Park neighborhood and it's a few feet from the Howard Theater. There are plenty of Ethiopian joints with a more festive vibe, especially the ones on 9th Street NW, in U Street, Adams Morgan, and Georgia Ave). $

Daikaya-Izakaya (Pretty good Ramen/Asian Fusion joint in Chinatown on 6th Street, they serve many different cool Japanese drinks and even Mexican Coke too. I strongly recommend their Shoyū Ramen with wet seaweed and the new pork belly. You might wanna get a reservation for this place since it will most likely be PACKED and it's kinda smallish with limited seating during the weekends like most Ramen spots). $$

Le Diplomate (Very popular French/Brasserie/Café hybrid restaurant on 14th Street in Logan Circle, headed by a famous star chef from Philly where the original Le Diplomate restaurant is. It's definitely one of the best French restaurants in DC). $$$

Panda Gourmet (One of the very few authentically good Chinese restaurants in DC, it's on New York Ave adjacent to the Days Inn Hotel in the Gateway neighborhood in Northeast. You'll probably have to drive here. The primary ethnic Chinese cuisine here is Szechuan). $$

Mandu (Pretty ambient Korean restaurant Downtown on K Street). $$

Rasika (Heralded as one of the best Indian restaurants and they have some pretty good high-end items. On D Street in the Downtown neighborhood of Penn Quarter). $$$

Indigo (Another good Indian place albeit a cheaper alternative to Rasika, it's on K Street NE in the H Street NE/Atlas District neighborhood). $$

Hot N Juicy Crawfish (Seafood and Cajun/Creole restaurant on Connecticut Ave in Woodley Park in Upper Northwest. Very messy goodness, they'll give you a bib too ) $$

Tosca (A new Italian restaurant on F Street in Chinatown across the street from the Verizon Center/Gallery Place complex. Can be pricy). $$$

il Canale (A cheaper Italian place to Tosca, it also serves wood-oven pizza as well. It's in Georgetown on 31st Street). $$

Just a handful of recommendations.

And yes, you can find good French and Italian food in DC.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 AM

88 posts, read 116,132 times
I'm new to town and hit a couple places last week for Restaurant week. If you like seafood, I highly, highly recommend Indigo Landing on the water in old Town Alexandria. It has an AMAZING view too, with a pier. The whole ambiance was fantastic and they have a great wine list. the malbec was perfection! it has its own parking lot. Use open table to make reservations just in case.

Old Town Alexandria Restaurant - Washington Sailing Marina restaurant | Indigo Landing

The other place I went was Darlington House in Dupont Circle. I don't know about parking in that area as I took the metro and my friends used uber. Its probably cheaper to uber than to pay for parking in most places in DC.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Forgot to add: Zaytinia for upscale Greek and Mediterranean cuisine.

Pricey but won't break the bank. Delicious food, definitely could be considered a DC institution
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
For something unique to DC, I would suggest:

High-end: Old Ebbit Grill

Ethnic: DC has the second largest Ethiopian population outside of Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia), and is home to some excellent Ethiopian restaurants. Look up Selam on 15th and U Street

Fast food: Ben's Chilli Bowl. Not spectacular, but decent. A DC staple there is the "half-smoke"

Other than that, it really depends on what type of food/cuisine you are looking for, DC and its suburbs have more or less everything to offer
Here are the answers. I would probably add Clyde's, Ted's Bulletin, and Matchbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC