Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Have you been to Clarendon? It's not NYC as nothing in the DC area is but your description is horribly wrong. Your description can just as easily fit DC. Half of NW is way more suburban than Clarendon.

You're kidding right? Clarendon is linear, meaning, once you travel a few blocks either north or south, you're in single family homes or a highway. It's a TOD which is not, and will never be a city. The OP is looking for a neighborhood where he/she can walk all around and never leave the city. Key word, city which Arlington is not. It's a great suburb in TOD format though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinharkins877 View Post
Hi all,

I'll be moving to DC within the next couple of months, and am looking for advice on where to rent. I really need to live in a neighborhood where you can walk around, as I don't own a car, will be metro-ing downtown to work, and my dog is very much used to years of going on 30+ minute walks meandering around Brooklyn. He's also in love with outdoor dog parks, but it doesn't look like those really exist in DC in great numbers (I did see one on S Street).

I'd be perfectly fine with a 30-45 minute commute on the metro, but from my basic research, it looks like the city neighborhoods are pretty close to downtown? So I'm looking for a 1-bedroom apt (without a roommate) that's in a dog-friendly neighborhood, and I can spend around $2000/month if need be. I'm not really wed to many other amenities - a W/D in the apt would be ideal, along with upgraded appliances, but if the right neighborhood came along, I'd be fine leaving them out.

Among all those questions, I also searched the forum but wasn't able to come up with this - what neighborhood(s) in DC most closely resemble NYC / Brooklyn that go along the lines of above? (Yes, I realize it won't be perfect, but that's what I'm hoping you good folks can help with Walking around with the crush of people is something I've gotten used to over the years - the sheer number of people is fun to be with.

Thanks!
How DC’s Apartments Have Gone to the Dogs

Old 03-18-2015, 06:28 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You're kidding right? Clarendon is linear, meaning, once you travel a few blocks either north or south, you're in single family homes or a highway. It's a TOD which is not, and will never be a city. The OP is looking for a neighborhood where he/she can walk all around and never leave the city. Key word, city which Arlington is not. It's a great suburb in TOD format though.
Well unless the OP is a robot that can only walk north and south, then he can walk about 4 miles between urban neighborhoods (and more if he crosses into DC).

I still don't get your point. What is the U street area besides 14/U? Nothing but residential side streets. What is Adams Morgan besides 18/Columbia? Nothing but residential side streets. What is Navy Yard/Waterfront outside of M street?

The OP can decide for himself.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Well unless the OP is a robot that can only walk north and south, then he can walk about 4 miles between urban neighborhoods (and more if he crosses into DC).

I still don't get your point. What is the U street area besides 14/U? Nothing but residential side streets. What is Adams Morgan besides 18/Columbia? Nothing but residential side streets. What is Navy Yard/Waterfront outside of M street?

Anybody coming from NYC is not going to want to live in Arlington VA and everybody pretty much knows that. The OP will definitely decide for his/her self. Do you think Arlington VA is a real city? It's just a metro line. I'm trying to figure out if you're being for real.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times
Quote:

The OP said he wanted a place like Brooklyn. What are you doing? Poor suggestion but your location explains everything.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:38 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
If your coming from NYC look at:

Columbia Heights
Petworth
U street
Adams Morgan
Mt. Pleasant
Shaw
Dupont Circle
Logan Circle
Mt. Vernon Sq.
LeDroit Park
Bloomingdale
H street NE
Penn Quarter/Chinatown

Those are pretty much the only neighborhoods I can see having an urban enough vibe that a NYer would fit into. They are all urban, walkable neighborhoods that have enough convience to give it a pass, especially if it has a metro station. You definitely couldn't go wrong with Columbia Heights though, and U street.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:00 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Anybody coming from NYC is not going to want to live in Arlington VA and everybody pretty much knows that. The OP will definitely decide for his/her self. Do you think Arlington VA is a real city? It's just a metro line. I'm trying to figure out if you're being for real.
What do you mean is it a real city? You and I don't decide that. According to the Post Office, it is.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times
Quote:
What do you mean is it a real city? You and I don't decide that. According to the Post Office, it is.
Arlington is a county not a city according to the state of Virginia and the U.S. census bureau

Old 03-19-2015, 03:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Arlington is a county not a city according to the state of Virginia and the U.S. census bureau
Arlington wishes it was a city lol....

Old 03-19-2015, 04:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Actually they don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: