Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM

334 posts, read 528,771 times

Advertisements

I will be moving into the DC/MD area by the end of this month, earning about $50k-$55k. I'm single with a small dog. The logical and most convenient place for me to live is in the Baltimore metro area, but after several visits, I just can't connect with the energy there. It feels so depressing to me.

So, I'm now considering moving to DC, which I've always loved. I'll have a much more strenuous commute, but the good thing is that I will have a fairly flexible schedule, so I don't have to worry about being in rush hour traffic every day. Although I might be able to afford more in rent, I really don't want to pay more than $800-$1000/mo. I'm newly separated, and recovering from an illness and bouncing back from months of unemployment. I really want to spend a year rebuilding my savings and paying off my medical bills, getting back on my feet altogether.

I don't have to live in the "nicest" part of the city (and can't afford to), but I don't want to dodge bullets every time I go outside, either.

I found this place today, and I'm wondering if you all could tell me about the neighborhood in general (305 37th Street). There's gotta be a reason the rent is so cheap... lol.

Apartments.com - Community Glance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM

353 posts, read 1,262,051 times
Which quadrant (NW, NE, SW, SE)?

If it's 37th NW, I wouldn't worry much about "dodging bullets." I haven't heard anything positive about 37th NE (I just remember hearing about a halfway house on 36th with drug activity), it doesn't exist in SW (it's too small a quadrant), and SE, they say be cautious below the Anacostia.

But different people have different experiences.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 PM

230 posts, read 860,102 times
Check out the crime maps on the area to get a better idea of what's what.

washingtonpost.com

I suppose it all depends on your comfort level, but I would look elsewhere until you get a better feel for DC. There are better choices, and if you take some time, you can probably find a reasonably priced apartment (that accepts pets) in a decent location.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,178 times
305 37th Street. I don't think it is for you.

There is no 305 37th Street SW or NW or NE, so you are talking SE near East Capitol Street. Take a look at the crime map. I don't think there is much of a night life around that area.

If you are really looking to save money, is there any chance you could live with a roommate? That way you'd have some extra cash, some entree into the DC social world, and be able to afford a place in a much nicer and more exciting area of DC than you can renting on your own. As you said, it's only for a year or so until you get back on your feet.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:04 PM

Thank you all so much for your help!!! Please keep the advice coming, if you think of anything else.

I don't think I'd be comfortable living with a roommate, although I haven't ruled it out as an option yet. At the risk of telling too much of my business, my separation has really torn me down big time. I've lost everything dear to me, including my job, car, a VERY NICE home, and two of my pets, and my illness didn't help things much. I'm in my 30s, and although I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to house-share, I feel like I'm too old to do that. I feel like it would be taking a huge step backward, after having been on my own for so many years. I'm already taking a significant paycut moving there, and the cost of living is wayyyyy higher.

So, while it probably makes a lot more sense to room with someone, I think I need my space... even if it means living in a matchbox or a not-so-desirable neighborhood.

I'll probably just keep looking and hopefully I'll find a rare gem of a place! An extended stay hotel is also an option I'm considering... *sigh*

Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 PM

230 posts, read 860,102 times
Don't get discouraged! I just looked at places on Craigslist with a maximum price of $1k that took pets and several listings came up, some in not-too-bad areas.

Forget that place on 37th--you'll really be taking a step back if you move there!

C2K

Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot2000 View Post
Don't get discouraged! I just looked at places on Craigslist with a maximum price of $1k that took pets and several listings came up, some in not-too-bad areas.

Forget that place on 37th--you'll really be taking a step back if you move there!

C2K
Thanks so much, C2K! I'll definitely give Craigslist another shot. I was looking there daily for a while, but got frustrated because it seems like every other listing is a house-share or roommate deal (and they're usually posted in the wrong area... ). But, I'll keep looking. Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:07 PM

96 posts, read 560,454 times
If you are talking about 37th and Mennisota ave S.E.. You can move there if you are use to high crime. The only thing I can say decent about that arae is you very close to exits (395,295,east capitol street) take a hint.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 PM

353 posts, read 1,262,051 times
JustBeingMe, it's been a month since you last responded to this so I hope things are fine with you and you found a suitable place. I'm currently going through the same frustrations as you: All the listings are miscategorized house shares/roommates (after living by myself for a year and being in my late 20's, I don't think I'd be comfortable going back to a roommate situation), and when I advertised myself as an "apartment wanted" listing, I got replies from Alexandria and Woodbridge in VA when I need to stay in DC since I work there and am involved in activities there. Can people read anymore?!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM

24 posts, read 151,646 times
1st off, theres definitely a 37th st ne seeing as i live there, but this neighborhood is very blok to block. go check out the neighborhood and see what goes down there.. youll be fine... gl!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: