Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Hampton Roads is FAR removed from the DC area. Seriously, as it stands I would not recommend she live in most of the DC suburbs. I outright recommend they do not buy a house until they have lived here at least a year. They are new to the area, and in their early twenties.
I agree. I think that a lot of people that visit the forum forget that Northern Virginia, and even Silver Springs and parts of Maryland, are still suburbia. Just may not look like suburbia because a lot of it is vertical.

OP would be making a drive to do what other people take advantage of just walking around the city. I might have missed it skimming through the thread, I thought the OP's boyfriend was a successful bartender and pulling close to 6 figures or something, then I thought, what if it is a one income situation, etc OP never mind what I'm talking about you should be fine. But don't move to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:56 AM

650 posts, read 868,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I agree. I think that a lot of people that visit the forum forget that Northern Virginia, and even Silver Springs and parts of Maryland, are still suburbia. Just may not look like suburbia because a lot of it is vertical.

OP would be making a drive to do what other people take advantage of just walking around the city. I might have missed it skimming through the thread, I thought the OP's boyfriend was a successful bartender and pulling close to 6 figures or something, then I thought, what if it is a one income situation, etc OP never mind what I'm talking about you should be fine. But don't move to the suburbs.
No I'm the bartender! Currently in Lansing, Mi I bring it around 30-40k, I'm not sure what I would make in DC. My boyfriend's job offer is for 70k and room for advancement. So we're not broke ..

This is enough to live on right? And not live in a bad neighborhood? We would like at least a 1 bedroom with a pool and gym as well and allows dogs hopefully and parking.

Yeah more I think of it the more we need to be in the city because I imagine bartending would pull way money for me in DC. And I'd really like to experience the city living before buying a house!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
No I'm the bartender! Currently in Lansing, Mi I bring it around 30-40k, I'm not sure what I would make in DC. My boyfriend's job offer is for 70k and room for advancement. So we're not broke ..

This is enough to live on right? And not live in a bad neighborhood? We would like at least a 1 bedroom with a pool and gym as well and allows dogs hopefully and parking.

Yeah more I think of it the more we need to be in the city because I imagine bartending would pull way money for me in DC. And I'd really like to experience the city living before buying a house!
Yes. But it will still be tight. Remember you're talking about DC. Inside the city you're looking at well over $500,000 and in the suburbs at least $300,000 or more for a place in an average "working class" neighborhood, with the 'hood across the street or a few blocks away.

You can save money in NoVa but culturally, it will be just like Lansing, if not worse. Like a rich man's Ann Arbor or something like kill me slowly, yesterday. But I think on $100,000 to $110,000 you two can make it work. A $750,000 home would not be unusual and would not impress anyone in DC. You're almost on the same playing level as NYC or California, depending on where you're living.

Rent first and get a feel for it, like other's have mentioned in this thread.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yes. But it will still be tight. Remember you're talking about DC. Inside the city you're looking at well over $500,000 and in the suburbs at least $300,000 or more for a place in an average "working class" neighborhood, with the 'hood across the street or a few blocks away.

You can save money in NoVa but culturally, it will be just like Lansing, if not worse. Like a rich man's Ann Arbor or something like kill me slowly, yesterday. But I think on $100,000 to $110,000 you two can make it work. A $750,000 home would not be unusual and would not impress anyone in DC. You're almost on the same playing level as NYC or California, depending on where you're living.

I would not want that because I HATE Lansing so much. God this place is horrible. Hopefully I can pull some better money in DC.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Defintely need to take the advice and get the feel for it.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Considering your salary, age, and everything else. Let me be clear. Rent in DC or the closer in suburbs first.

You do not know the area. DO NOT BUY. Rent inside the city or at the very least bordering suburbs, and then when you get to know the area consider where you want to live. You have no clue what this area is like.

But above all DO NOT BUY when first moving here. This is not like other areas of the country where you move into an area and buy a house. Considering your age, you really need to move into the area first, and preferably close to the urban core. This is not like detroit with a hollowed out urban core where most everything is in the suburbs.

Let me be absolutely clear, you will get the most out of the area the closer you are to DC. You should get a 1 BR apartment to start. Based on just his salary $1750 is basically what you can afford, and there are plenty of apartments at that price level in DC, Arlington, and Silver Spring.

But this needs to be repeated DO NOT BUY when you first move here. Considering the job is in DC, putting yourself an hour out into the suburbs is not recommended.

Your husband is entry level professional class. You can afford the city. Considering you are in school, Arlington may be best because you can spend the year establishing Virginia residency for George Mason instate tuition, or Silver Spring to do the same for University of Maryland.

This is not Detroit, where people default to buy to the suburbs as soon as they move to the area. People rent here first for good reason unless they are older and have kids. But as young people you really should move close to the city, or inside the city.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I would not want that because I HATE Lansing so much. God this place is horrible. Hopefully I can pull some better money in DC.
You should. Incomes are a lot higher in DC and so people will have the disposable income. It will be exciting there is much to see and a lot to do.

Listen to DistrictSonic; since you are a bartender your income is more fluid. His is the one you want to go with, and then your money is just to play with, save, invest, etc. And go to school and find something else to do, take advantage of the opportunity; it will put you in a better position to go up and down the Coast, should you choose to do so. You never know what may happen.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Considering your salary, age, and everything else. Let me be clear. Rent in DC or the closer in suburbs first.

You do not know the area. DO NOT BUY. Rent inside the city or at the very least bordering suburbs, and then when you get to know the area consider where you want to live. You have no clue what this area is like.

But above all DO NOT BUY when first moving here. This is not like other areas of the country where you move into an area and buy a house. Considering your age, you really need to move into the area first, and preferably close to the urban core. This is not like detroit with a hollowed out urban core where most everything is in the suburbs.

Let me be absolutely clear, you will get the most out of the area the closer you are to DC. You should get a 1 BR apartment to start. Based on just his salary $1750 is basically what you can afford, and there are plenty of apartments at that price level in DC, Arlington, and Silver Spring.

But this needs to be repeated DO NOT BUY when you first move here. Considering the job is in DC, putting yourself an hour out into the suburbs is not recommended.

Your husband is entry level professional class. You can afford the city. Considering you are in school, Arlington may be best because you can spend the year establishing Virginia residency for George Mason instate tuition, or Silver Spring to do the same for University of Maryland.

This is not Detroit, where people default to buy to the suburbs as soon as they move to the area. People rent here first for good reason unless they are older and have kids. But as young people you really should move close to the city, or inside the city.

Thanks, great advice. If we lived in DC would that be in state for both University of Maryland and George Mason?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You should. Incomes are a lot higher in DC and so people will have the disposable income. It will be exciting there is much to see and a lot to do.
One thing I've always wanted to do is go to all the museums especially the Smithsonan(sp).

Old 06-20-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks, great advice. If we lived in DC would that be in state for both University of Maryland and George Mason?
Not sure because those are not in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC