Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:46 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,735,825 times

Advertisements

I buy most of my suits from The Limited once I discovered that they tend to fit me well. Go to a store, figure out your size/cut, and then monitor the site for a sale. They have "40% off everything" sales pretty often, and several times a year have bigger discounts.

The outlets are also worth checking out. I haven't gotten suits there yet, but occasionally Nordstroms has crazy sales on clothing that make it worthwhile. And, of course, Nordstrom Rack. We went there after going to several department stores on Sunday and found the exact same dresses for half the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 07:42 PM

361 posts, read 856,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Lol exactly, quite possibly the worst made suits ever and its a shame to see how popular they are in DC and metro area vicinity. Both among govt sector/private sector workers, young and old alike.

$200 can get you a pretty decent, well fitting suit from Macys - Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole etc.

If you can splurge a bit, Banana Republic has really nice suits.

Splurge a bit more - SuitSupply in Georgetown is the place to go
I can't wait for this "tight suit" trend to go out of style. I guess I am the dude Jos A Banks is made for, as when I go into SuitSupply I can bare find off the rack stuff in my size (a reasonably fit 46). The wool blend suits at Banks are pretty good and a decent tailor should be able to cut the boxiness out of them.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,759,703 times
Online. Get your size at a tailor, and order something close to it, then tailor it. Same with dress shirts.

There is really no reason to buy name brand suits anymore. You can get a good suit for half the cost, that fits better with better materials, and better construction online these days.

I'm not saying it's cheap, but a good fitting shirt and suit is good suit and shirt.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:40 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,660,435 times
I agree with the comments about the quality of Jos A Bank, but I also stay away from them because the FTC has fined them for improper advertising claims.

Costco has a selection of about 20 different dress shirts for $19.99. I've been wearing them for about two years and they wear as well as higher priced ones. They also have a small selection of wool dress slacks at $49. They're good but not "great". Their Tee's and boxers are good value too.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:50 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,163,714 times
Go to those big suburban thrift stores like Unique Thrift and Value Village that are the size of a Walmart, they have great suits for around $20. You may have to get them tailored but I've gotten many fine suits there.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:08 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,749,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I agree with the comments about the quality of Jos A Bank, but I also stay away from them because the FTC has fined them for improper advertising claims.
Yeah, the ads are annoying, but everyone who lives here longer than a week now knows they do a sale about once a month. If you do buy one/get three, I don't think that's a bad deal--provided you actually need four suits.

As to quality, it varies: Their Signature Gold is half-canvassed and reportedly pretty good. Their lower-level stuff is good enough for most. Will it last you 20 years? No, but then few men nowadays wear suits for that long.

If you want a really high-quality suit without spending a ton, look for Hickey-Freeman on sale. You can get one around $500 if you look, and that suit WILL last you 20 years. One of the last companies to still manufacture suits in the USA. (Hart Schaffner Marx did until recently.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-17-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 AM

15,461 posts, read 25,904,306 times
Interesting thread. What is an estimated cost for tailoring? Is it expensive?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:41 AM

40 posts, read 67,199 times
I agree with going for a Hickey Freeman suit if you can afford it. Generally they are cut conservatively - not a slim fit - and I've seen them tagged for $599 at Neiman Marcus Last Call (in Arundel Mills or Potomac Mills) but they routinely have discounts from 20%-40%; get on the their email list to get announcements for discounts.

Otherwise I like Marshalls if you have the patience to go through the racks. Some Marshalls stores are better than others; I've found those in nicer areas are more likely to have better stuff. Sometimes they get closeouts from higher-end stores; in the past I've seen Brooks Brothers suits there for $300.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 6,507 times
I would avoid needless markup, I mean Neiman Marcus. I always find luck at Marshall's, Express, Buffalo Ex, Nordstroms Rack or H&M for cheaper suits that look good.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 AM

27 posts, read 42,441 times
As a female, I think we should be able to get away with not having to wear a suit yet still look professional...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: