Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,094 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have a couple questions about this area. I have lived in northern va my whole life and am familiar with dc, but not the different neighborhoods. I am looking to buy a home in nova or dc. Everything is of course sky high. There are some condos selling in SE, on 9th street. Congress Heights I think its called. They are fairly cheap, and they have all the upgrades and are beautiful on the inside. Just wondering how this neighborhood is? What I've heard is that anywhere but NW is "ghetto." Also, I hear they are doing a lot of remodeling in that area and that they are building new shopping centers etc.? Does anyone know if this is true? What is it like in that area of town? I was thinking that it would begin to appreciate once everything is built and remodeled? What does anyone else think? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
the area is being remodeled but it's still not a good idea to move there even if u get a house for free. the thugs are still operating in DC. if u want to buy the west end of alexandria city condo market is very affordable for NoVA and has a whole lot less crime than anywhere in DC.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Congress Heights is bad. It's one of the worst neighborhoods in D.C. It's not even a case of suburban snobs steering people away from all but the most exclusive neighborhoods in Northwest saying that anything east of 16th Street is "ghetto"; but it truly is the reality of the situation in that this is one of the most violent and dangerous sections of DC. They are rehabbing some units, but there is no widescale redevelopment. There's a bit in Anacostia and property values will probably skyrocket near the Navy Yard once the new football stadium and all the accompanying projects are complete, but Congress Heights is neither of these two places and personally, I don't see that area gentrifying or properties appreciating in value anytime soon. I would actually recommend almost any other area in DC or it's suburbs over this area (and there was a similar post awhile back inquiring about Congress Heights if you'd like to perform a search function at the top of the thread to see what was said back then....it's mostly the same stuff though).

Since you are already in Northern Virginia, I'd recommend taking a trip down there one day to check out the area for yourself, in the daytime of course, so that you can see the neighborhood firsthand.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,094 times
Thanks for your help. I did go back and read that post. I definately see that its not worth it. Plus, I am a single young female, and I want to live somewhere that's somewhat safe, and I don't think its there. I will continue my search in other areas. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 9,379 times
Default Living in congress hieghts

DO it Do it now If you read this sundays post in the real estate section you will see that south east is about to blow up bigger than N.W.
Its still gangsta out here but not as bad as it used to be. I just bought a house 4 months ago and already gained 80,000 in equity and this is only my first house.
I have been living out here for years I love it. Any other questions feel free to respond.

by the way in dc/md/va southeast is doing the best right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Hi all, I have a couple questions about this area. I have lived in northern va my whole life and am familiar with dc, but not the different neighborhoods. I am looking to buy a home in nova or dc. Everything is of course sky high. There are some condos selling in SE, on 9th street. Congress Heights I think its called. They are fairly cheap, and they have all the upgrades and are beautiful on the inside. Just wondering how this neighborhood is? What I've heard is that anywhere but NW is "ghetto." Also, I hear they are doing a lot of remodeling in that area and that they are building new shopping centers etc.? Does anyone know if this is true? What is it like in that area of town? I was thinking that it would begin to appreciate once everything is built and remodeled? What does anyone else think? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
SE will end up like Harlem....It will be a totally different experience in 10-15 years thanks in part to development. I hope the people sit still and ride the wave of equity thats about to come their way. If your still worried about the crime then just buy the house and rent it out and wait till you see the changes you find acceptable...

Old 06-28-2007, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 50,502 times
It’s all what you can tolerate. Drive out there to the exact area during the day and drive around but also go at night unless you will never go out after sun down if you move over there, get a since of it. It is in transition but the question is always, how long? It could be another 5 or 10 years or maybe sometime shorter. Depending on your ethnicity you may be a bit apprehensive in being in such a minority or maybe your kind of a sociologist that find different cultures "fascinating" ) Financially, one of the earlier posters is right. SE will BOOM in time and for the most part people living there are working class people trying to raise families like everyone else, but you do have 70% of the city's low income housing east of the river so sometimes the negative mentality that that can bring will rear its ugly head.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM

35 posts, read 202,559 times
Hey guy,
Who told you everywhere but NW is Ghetto? Try the SE section of Capitol Hill. The areas around the Capitol South and Eastern Market metros are now very expensive with beautiful homes. It is certainly nicer than Columbia Height and I certainly enjoy it more than Adams Morgan.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:37 AM

37 posts, read 196,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
I have lived in two parts of SE that I personally believe were great, Capitol Hill and Hillcrest Heights. Capitol Hill speaks for itself and Hillcrest Heights is where the former mayor and other dignitaries have lived. In fact, it was once considered very upscale. J. Edgar Hoover lived there.

Southeast, DC is everything southeast of the Capitol. That covers a lot of ground. It is certainly not all ghetto.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 PM

96 posts, read 560,273 times
First of all I am not disagreeing with anyone up here. But I would like to clarify a few things. First off 9st. is not the Congress heights area it is the Washington highland area down by Walher place. two different places. Although there is new development around there that is still a very high crime area I grew up around the coner in a hood called Condon Terrace extermly bad neighborhood but things are getting better. As far as Congress Heights goes realestate there is booming and it is best to get property now while the area is still growing so take advantage of a soft market an get to buying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: