Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:47 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

There was a dude named Gerneral Sherman that had a say about Southern towns. More specifically he burned them down! Its absolutely shocking that towns he didnt get to like Charleston SC, and Alexandria VA have tons of rowhomes.

Charleston SC wad 30000x bigger thsn DC in the early days FYI.

u fail to explain how im wrong....and alexandria isnt really the south anymore....nowadays fredericksburg is the tipping pt btwn north and south....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 02:09 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,421 times
Geographically, we're in the south because we're below the Mason Dixon Line, but culturally, only the rural areas feel southern to me. Anything past Gainesville or Dale City feels much like any other place in the south. I consider Richmond to be the first major city in the south nowadays. Everyone seems to have a different definition as to where the south starts.

There was a PBS short film about the Olney Theatre Company (Montgomery County, MD), and they showed a brochure from the 50s proclaiming it "the best theatre in the south." When my dad was growing up in Northern Virginia it was fairly southern and there were lots of rednecks, but that all changed by the late 70s/early 80s. Northern Virginia of course still has roads, schools, and statues in memorial to the Confederacy. I know a few people from Prince William County with light but noticeable southern accents.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
u fail to explain how im wrong....and alexandria isnt really the south anymore....nowadays fredericksburg is the tipping pt btwn north and south....
Well I guess since Arlington VA is no longer southern, Robert E Lees Home is no longer Arlington VA and the war never really haapened? #revisionisthistory

Old 04-24-2016, 09:31 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Well I guess since Arlington VA is no longer southern, Robert E Lees Home is no longer Arlington VA and the war never really haapened? #revisionisthistory

Its well known NoVA at best is southern strictly by technicality.......being that NoVA is the DC suburbs NoVA inherits the same mentality and bad traffic the rest of the northeast is known for. Go downstate to richmond petersburg roanoke norfolk and say NoVA is southern........tell me exactly how fast those people laugh at you.....

Old 04-25-2016, 05:22 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Its well known NoVA at best is southern strictly by technicality.......being that NoVA is the DC suburbs NoVA inherits the same mentality and bad traffic the rest of the northeast is known for. Go downstate to richmond petersburg roanoke norfolk and say NoVA is southern........tell me exactly how fast those people laugh at you.....
What mentality are you talking about? In the 'true' Northeast (Philly, NYC, Boston, and other mid-sized cities in the region), people are known for their fast-paced, no-nonsense, Italian-like bravado. DC is full of a bunch of stressed out government/white collar workers.

And traffic is terrible (probably worse) in Atlanta, LA, and Chicago too. Really any dense metro area. That quality doesn't get you into the northeast.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
38% of Marylanders are wrong.
How can they be wrong when Maryland is, and always has been, officially classified by the federal government (Census) as being Southern?

I forgot, the census is out-dated/ inaccurate because it considers DC and MD to be in the South. It's funny how no other states have a problem with the Census and nobody has a problem with its population/demographic numbers. In fact, if it did consider DC/MD northern, I guarantee that would be the first source you all would point to.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
High percentage of the population relys on transportation
Infrastructure
Large central business district
Educated populace
Liberal voting patterns
Heavily Democratic
Rowhouses
Emancipation Day is a holiday
East coast traffic and congestion
High salaries
High housing costs
High taxes
High COL
Similar pace of life
Pro Union
Aligned with other cities for a $15 minimum wage increase
Heavily against "Right to Work" laws in Southern States
Almost everything on your list, minus the traditional row houses, characterizes San Francisco probably more so than DC. Where on your list are the accents? Italian influences? traditional blue collar ethnic neighborhoods? blue collar presence? large Catholic presence? industrial history/ look-and-feel?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 AM

Not to mention Virginia is hardly pro-unions...And more people live in Northern VA than the Maryland suburbs...

Old 04-25-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Also, it's irrelevant if Alexandria is "not southern now." The row homes in Alexandria were built 200-300 years ago.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble but Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, and Charlotte all have traffic issues. It's a big city issue that literally every big city in the world has.

Also, go to New England and tell them that DC is part of the north. Tell me how fast those people laugh at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC