Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 AM

80 posts, read 105,268 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I recently moved to the DMV from the south. In the south, even in professional offices, it was rare to find women who wear panty hose. As the weather is warming up, I was wondering what the general position on panty hose is here?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 AM

9,880 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy5oul View Post
Hi,
I recently moved to the DMV from the south. In the south, even in professional offices, it was rare to find women who wear panty hose. As the weather is warming up, I was wondering what the general position on panty hose is here?

Thanks.

Depends on the job and the office. Take your cue from your fellow coworkers. Wear pants until you get a good sense.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:51 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,962,516 times
Tights during the colder months, bare legs during the summer.

I have not worn traditional pantyhose in years, and definitely not on a day to day basis. DC summers are too hot to justify them. Just thinking about the concept makes me uncomfortable.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,973,024 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
General position as far as I see it is to do as one pleases. This is not Europe where women actually embrace sheer nylon as they know it is rather pleasing to the eye. People could care less about aesthetics here. In DC this year however, you saw more nylon than the average but still, it is very common to see bare legs. The only problem is that often, women here don't really get tans so the bare legs with high heels look rather unattractive. (the comfort issue is moot because you are in heels as it is)

But since you are inquiring about the general position, this entails whether people like it or not. Therefore, it should be just as appealing to those viewing one wearing them.

So yes, it is frustrating to say the least that more women aren't wearing nylon in general, not only here in DC.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:43 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,962,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
General position as far as I see it is to do as one pleases. This is not Europe where women actually embrace sheer nylon as they know it is rather pleasing to the eye. People could care less about aesthetics here. In DC this year however, you saw more nylon than the average but still, it is very common to see bare legs. The only problem is that often, women here don't really get tans so the bare legs with high heels look rather unattractive. (the comfort issue is moot because you are in heels as it is)

But since you are inquiring about the general position, this entails whether people like it or not. Therefore, it should be just as appealing to those viewing one wearing them.

So yes, it is frustrating to say the least that more women aren't wearing nylon in general, not only here in DC.
Many women do not wear heels in DC.
Likewise I, nor any other woman, working in the district is not there to be eye candy so I can care less what you find aesthetically attractive. We are here to work.

So yes, comfort matters a great deal. Again...I could care less about aesthetics, especially the aesthetics of sexist men like yourself. So I can care less what you find attractive, and in fact I would encourage more women to go bare legged just because people like you don't like it.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:34 PM

80 posts, read 105,268 times
Well... that escalated quickly!

I appreciate the feedback. Being that this is a "conservative" town in the sense that it's full of politicians and lawyers, who as a whole at least pretend they are conservative insofar as fashion is concerned, I suppose I should pick up at least a pair or two for job interviews (always err on the side of overdressed) and for halfamazing when I see him out and about.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Many women do not wear heels in DC.
Likewise I, nor any other woman, working in the district is not there to be eye candy so I can care less what you find aesthetically attractive. We are here to work.

So yes, comfort matters a great deal. Again...I could care less about aesthetics, especially the aesthetics of sexist men like yourself. So I can care less what you find attractive, and in fact I would encourage more women to go bare legged just because people like you don't like it.
Look, with regards to aesthetics, we know never ever ever to involve you so you can put away the kitchen knife.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Well... that escalated quickly!

I appreciate the feedback. Being that this is a "conservative" town in the sense that it's full of politicians and lawyers, who as a whole at least pretend they are conservative insofar as fashion is concerned, I suppose I should pick up at least a pair or two for job interviews (always err on the side of overdressed) and for halfamazing when I see him out and about.
Aaaahhh, you are far too kind ma'am gypsy5soul.

Don't worry. You will get used to it rather quickly here in the DMV. People will write off certain things but let you give negative light to that same exact thing to which was supposedly written off, you will see the devil in people. You will then be left beyond perplexed.... It's somewhat of an inferiority complex and is getting worse. But that wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

P.S. I moved up here from Miami a few years ago so here is a great, big, warm, and sunny welcome!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,000,540 times
I'm in favor of full commando during the summer.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,610,335 times
Some offices do have dress codes, so ask if there is one. I have an acquaintance who cannot wear sleeveless tops or go without hose/tights or have open-toed shoes at her workplace. To be fair, the men in that office have to wear suits and ties daily and no short-sleeve shirts, no sport coat & slacks combos, no khakis. Generally, bare legs are fine in most offices up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC