Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:24 PM

252 posts, read 235,370 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've lived in Philly for 3 yrs now and will likely be here for another two give or take. I've got my eye on DC as it seems like such a beautiful, cosmopolitan city that offers the rowhouse charm and is still within driving distance (4 hrs) from my family.

There is a lot I love about Philly but the "grit" is wearing on me.. I think right now I'm in a love/ hate relationship with it so to speak, or perhaps I'm just not in the best neighborhood for me. I'm in southern grad hospital for those of you familiar.

Obviously this post is way early and I'm not making any move any time soon but I thought it would be fun and informative to get the perspective of those who have moved from Philly.. which city do you like better...and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 01:14 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,543,039 times
I just moved down from Philly in September, was in Manayunk for 3 years. I moved here for a job and it was absolutely worth it for that, but I do miss Philly. DC is great and I'm very happy here, but it's actually that grit that you don't like which is what I miss. DC doesn't have that grit at all. There are some hoods that have more of a Philly type vibe to them and the cities in general are somewhat similar in regards to offerings and whatnot. DC is CRAZY expensive though so I wouldn't even contemplate moving down unless you have a job or significant savings to hold you over. Feel free to ask any specific questions you have, would be glad to answer them!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:53 PM

252 posts, read 235,370 times
Teach me to love the grit! Ha. No seriously...thanks for answering! Would love to plan a trip down this spring to visit some hoods and get out of Philly for the day. I'm wondering if you could offer a possible itinerary of things to do and I don't mean the tourist stuff..not so much into museums etc..but rather neighborhoods to explore to get a good feel for the city. Thanks so much! I'm happy you're enjoying DC!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:58 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,543,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
Teach me to love the grit! Ha. No seriously...thanks for answering! Would love to plan a trip down this spring to visit some hoods and get out of Philly for the day. I'm wondering if you could offer a possible itinerary of things to do and I don't mean the tourist stuff..not so much into museums etc..but rather neighborhoods to explore to get a good feel for the city. Thanks so much! I'm happy you're enjoying DC!
I'm glad that I'm still close enough to go back to Philly pretty regularly. I've lived a plethora of places and Philly is absolutely my favorite!

Here are some links with good info from the DC subreddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/wiki/guide
https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/wiki/dcfaq

But if you can tell me some hoods and things you like in Philly as well as some general interests, I can def point you in the right direction here. Also, the food truck scene here is effing amazing and almost all of them take credit cards lol.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,529,696 times
What do you both mean by "grit"? Are you talking about the dirt, grime and urine smells of Philly? DC doesn't have enough of that for you?

Should of moved to DC 30 years ago. There was so much crack smoke in the air you could barely see the top of the Capital building on a clear day.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,205,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What do you both mean by "grit"? Are you talking about the dirt, grime and urine smells of Philly? DC doesn't have enough of that for you?.

perhaps he is referring to the working-class white population? It is something that DC doesn't really have en masse.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,168,320 times
Quote:
What do you both mean by "grit"? Are you talking about the dirt, grime and urine smells of Philly? DC doesn't have enough of that for you?

Should of moved to DC 30 years ago. There was so much crack smoke in the air you could barely see the top of the Capital building on a clear day.
I'm pretty sure by "grit" they are referring to the historic character of the built environment. It has a "lived in" quality that's unlike DC which is a lot more polished.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,529,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure by "grit" they are referring to the historic character of the built environment. It has a "lived in" quality that's unlike DC which is a lot more polished.
I guess that's true if you never leave NW DC (which is surprisingly common). But even then, Dupont and even Georgetown have a lot of very ancient architecture.

I've been to Philly many times and the only difference in grit from DC is Philly is much dirtier and a lot of things are more run down because they are not properly maintained. Outside of that, not much of a difference.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:29 PM

126 posts, read 118,114 times
Quote:
I've been to Philly many times and the only difference in grit from DC is Philly is much dirtier and a lot of things are more run down because they are not properly maintained. Outside of that, not much of a difference.
Do you think the people act and behave the same in those two cities?h

Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,543,544 times
Philly has way more working class whites and a MUCH bigger hipster scene than DC. Culturally, Philly reminds me a lot more of West Village NYC than DC. Weve got all these J Crew wearing polo with tan shorts frat bros w sticks in their asses which reminds everyone how bland it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: