Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:46 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
Do you think the people act and behave the same in those two cities?h
What do you mean?

Are you saying my personality will change if I move from DC to Philly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Weve got all these J Crew wearing polo with tan shorts frat bros w sticks in their asses which reminds everyone how bland it is.
Sure, if you never leave NW DC (which is surprisingly common).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM

126 posts, read 117,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What do you mean?

Are you saying my personality will change if I move from DC to Philly
No, I'm saying that personality and behavior of people influence the culture, grittiness & vibrancy of cities. If you replace everyone in Philly with everyone who lives in DC, Philadelphia would be much different city even if the architecture stays the same. Going to Eagles games would be a different, the music and arts scene would be different, different fashion, topics of conversation etc..

Last edited by Sketter; 03-08-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Quote:
What do you mean?

Sure, if you never leave NW DC (which is surprisingly common).
SE (CAPITAL HILL!!) is arguably worse. Eastern Market is like a carbon copy of Clarendon attire. Eastern Market is way older but seriously you cant differentiate these people from Alabama.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 PM

252 posts, read 234,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure by "grit" they are referring to the historic character of the built environment. It has a "lived in" quality that's unlike DC which is a lot more polished.
Yes, this is what I mean.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post

But if you can tell me some hoods and things you like in Philly as well as some general interests, I can def point you in the right direction here. Also, the food truck scene here is effing amazing and almost all of them take credit cards lol.
Sure, so I really like Rittenhouse, Washington Square/Midtown Village, East Passyunk, and Queen Village. Never ventured to your old stomping grounds except a short trip to a decor store there on Main st. I like a mix of bustling and some quiet.

I like Cafe's, shopping (not high end clothing but quirky shops), vintage stores, record stores, good restaurants (but not as I call it..."up your own ass food") The small plate thing isn't my scene. Also into public green space..parks and dog parks. I'm sure these can be found in many hoods? I also like wooded areas like the Wissahickon and escaping city life at times. I miss trees sometimes as my block is pretty barren. Not into a huge night life "party" scene but my husband is really into Good Cocktails...

I'd like to explore Dupont, Adams Morgan, Capital Hill, Georgetown and Shaw.. let me know of any others. Are these all relatively close like Philly or do you need to take mass transit between some of these hoods. I'm used to Philly being so walkable.

If we moved we would be buying and having a garage or carport would be ideal as that's what we have now. Husband and I both work from home and self employed and could afford a place probably in the 700-750k range. Also..I'm a fan of more established hoods vs. "Up and coming." We are child free and no kids in future so schools aren't a concern.

I'm thinking a trip in April if we can catch the cherry blossoms and just explore. Like I said any potential move wouldn't happen for a while...just like hearing from others and their experiences. So thank you!

Old 03-10-2017, 12:02 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
Sure, so I really like Rittenhouse, Washington Square/Midtown Village, East Passyunk, and Queen Village. Never ventured to your old stomping grounds except a short trip to a decor store there on Main st. I like a mix of bustling and some quiet.

I like Cafe's, shopping (not high end clothing but quirky shops), vintage stores, record stores, good restaurants (but not as I call it..."up your own ass food") The small plate thing isn't my scene. Also into public green space..parks and dog parks. I'm sure these can be found in many hoods? I also like wooded areas like the Wissahickon and escaping city life at times. I miss trees sometimes as my block is pretty barren. Not into a huge night life "party" scene but my husband is really into Good Cocktails...

I'd like to explore Dupont, Adams Morgan, Capital Hill, Georgetown and Shaw.. let me know of any others. Are these all relatively close like Philly or do you need to take mass transit between some of these hoods. I'm used to Philly being so walkable.

If we moved we would be buying and having a garage or carport would be ideal as that's what we have now. Husband and I both work from home and self employed and could afford a place probably in the 700-750k range. Also..I'm a fan of more established hoods vs. "Up and coming." We are child free and no kids in future so schools aren't a concern.

I'm thinking a trip in April if we can catch the cherry blossoms and just explore. Like I said any potential move wouldn't happen for a while...just like hearing from others and their experiences. So thank you!
Based on what you are describing above, I really think that DC would be a good fit for you- at this stage of your life. I don't know if I would say the same if you were set on the philly culture. Of course, there are factors to consider as I will describe below. Keep in mind that DC is NOT like any other city. It's really a city of it's own but without a "lived in" identity in many ways.

There comes a point in someone's life when they want to be removed from the "grit" and be met with sophistication. However, one also has to be careful in that it isn't a fantasy because living in DC, the novelty will run out quickly- for those who don't necessarily thrive here but are here by default, which are the good paying jobs. If I were to leave DC and move up north, it would be to a place like Hoboken or near the meadowlands, where I am not too far from NYC but still have that urban/suburban fabric.

But personally, I would definitely shop around if I were you because DC is very monocultural. Meaning, the grittiness and working class irish/italians/puerto ricans/ is non existent here. Therefore, it can become overbearing being around DC dwellers for an extended period. It may not hit you the first year but eventually, you may yearn for that balance. But again, because of where you are in life, it may just work out fine for you.

For me, I can get that balance you speak of in NJ/Long Island without having to enter the city, but still be met with that urban gritty fabric in various parts of town. In DC, even though scenery changes, the culture remains the same because of the MISSION of the city. Philly is more industrial as DC is more white collar. Also, there isn't that flow of energy from baltimore/Philly as philly gets from NYC/NJ. DC is literally an international local-cultured bubble with no identity of its own because it's always changing. You won't get long term families that run the sanitation/school bus routes or families that have ran the local little football leagues for generations. You won't get family groomed town cops who know you and your friends by last name. But, these are the things that I really find myself yearning for when I go back to jersey. People in DC wouldn't be able to make any of the above remarks/connections with you because they have left that behind and DC is their new way of life. DC has a way of conforming people into how she wants them to be. But knowing you are from Philly, there is an automatic connection that I don't have with DC thrivers. DC thrivers would be the ones to ask what "gritty" means (no offense to some posters).

But like I said, look around and spend a good two weeks in DC because it can be very unforgiven for someone who comes from a place like Philly, NJ, NY, and who still has a love/hate relationship. Those that can't stand the grit altogether any longer usually do better in DC.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:21 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
What do you mean?

Yes it most likely would. We are creatures and we tend to melt in with the fabric of the city. Living in philly, you will adapt to the way of life, just as you may adopt some of the speech patterns. DC is a bubble with plentiful jobs. Philly is a grind and you need to have your guard up. For example, I have lived in DC for 4 years now but when I went to philly, I was hustled at a FAMOUS philly cheese steak shop. You would never think that would happen but the cashier pocketed an extra $10 of mine. It was a goon, straight from the sopranos and off the block, who caught it and went in to get my money back. I think he ran that block or something. I didn't catch it at first because I am so used to the DC way of life. But in philly, from street hustlers to crime families, these cats will get you and you will learn to be more gritty and hard because otherwise, they will take advantage of you hard- even the cops. It's just a way a life you adapt to.

It's the same when I left Florida. Miami, people are laid back and wear short sleeves to work. You come in late because it's the norm. customer service is horrible because everyone has this "I don't give a what attitude".

I know you like to tout the "you can do that or see that in any city" but cities do change you.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post

I know you like to tout the "you can do that or see that in any city" but cities do change you.
Life experience changes people more than cities do.

I've lived a few different places too and I don't feel like any city changed me. If anything changed me it was my experiences and the people I met. Getting robbed can happen in DC as easily as Philly, NYC or LA. So saying such an experience is specific to Philly is misleading.

There is a reason they created that saying: "You can take the lion out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the lion".

If cities changed people, things like gentrification would not be possible. All the gentifiers in DC would of just conformed to the local culture. That didn't happen did it? Same with NYC and its melting pot of different cultures. Not possible if everyone just conformed to the local culture of NYC. People bring their culture with them.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Based on what you are describing above, I really think that DC would be a good fit for you- at this stage of your life. I don't know if I would say the same if you were set on the philly culture. Of course, there are factors to consider as I will describe below. Keep in mind that DC is NOT like any other city. It's really a city of it's own but without a "lived in" identity in many ways.

There comes a point in someone's life when they want to be removed from the "grit" and be met with sophistication. However, one also has to be careful in that it isn't a fantasy because living in DC, the novelty will run out quickly- for those who don't necessarily thrive here but are here by default, which are the good paying jobs. If I were to leave DC and move up north, it would be to a place like Hoboken or near the meadowlands, where I am not too far from NYC but still have that urban/suburban fabric.

But personally, I would definitely shop around if I were you because DC is very monocultural. Meaning, the grittiness and working class irish/italians/puerto ricans/ is non existent here. Therefore, it can become overbearing being around DC dwellers for an extended period. It may not hit you the first year but eventually, you may yearn for that balance. But again, because of where you are in life, it may just work out fine for you.

For me, I can get that balance you speak of in NJ/Long Island without having to enter the city, but still be met with that urban gritty fabric in various parts of town. In DC, even though scenery changes, the culture remains the same because of the MISSION of the city. Philly is more industrial as DC is more white collar. Also, there isn't that flow of energy from baltimore/Philly as philly gets from NYC/NJ. DC is literally an international local-cultured bubble with no identity of its own because it's always changing. You won't get long term families that run the sanitation/school bus routes or families that have ran the local little football leagues for generations. You won't get family groomed town cops who know you and your friends by last name. But, these are the things that I really find myself yearning for when I go back to jersey. People in DC wouldn't be able to make any of the above remarks/connections with you because they have left that behind and DC is their new way of life. DC has a way of conforming people into how she wants them to be. But knowing you are from Philly, there is an automatic connection that I don't have with DC thrivers. DC thrivers would be the ones to ask what "gritty" means (no offense to some posters).

But like I said, look around and spend a good two weeks in DC because it can be very unforgiven for someone who comes from a place like Philly, NJ, NY, and who still has a love/hate relationship. Those that can't stand the grit altogether any longer usually do better in DC.
This is a great, helpful perspective. One thing I do really enjoy about Philly is the community that I have...tons of wonderful friends within a church family that I am very blessed to have found. I don't know if that speaks for Philly itself or the luck that I've had in finding this community. I'm originally from a really small town near Williamsport Pa so no specific ties to the area, other than that it's a big city in my home state and where we chose to experience big city living.

I think I have some type of fear of missing out or finding the "perfect" city which I realize no place is perfect but maybe there's somewhere even better for me. Who knows. I would love to be somewhere in Brooklyn but the cost is absurd. I've been to Hoboken once briefly and really enjoyed that it was it's own little city so close to NYC. That seems pretty expensive too and I wonder if the crowd is younger..similar to a Manayunk situation.

So yeah a lot of venting, just talking out loud...I guess my point is I like the fact that DC looks so clean and polished but maybe that comes with cons, too.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:13 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post

Adams Morgan is a hood that's similar to Manayunk, but go during the daytime to avoid the hubbub if that's what you want. There's a cafe/bar there that I loooooooooooove called Tryst. If you happen to be in Adams Morgan at night time and are into live music (specifically bluesy/country type) then check out Madams Organ next door. H St NE/Atlas District are pretty similar to Fishtown so I'd hit that hood for the funky vibe. There are lots of parks throughout DC that are similar to Rittenhouse! For cocktails, check out Beuchert's Saloon in Eastern Market neighborhood. Sidenote: If you are here over a weekend, go check out Eastern Market (the actual market)... it's like a mini Reading Terminal and on weekends they have craft and boutique vendors.

You've got a solid hood list thus far, I'd def add H St NE/Atlas as previously mentioned. Just FYI, Georgetown is VERY hoity toity, more than any neighborhood in Philly. I like it in moderation and I go there every other month or so, but just a heads up... think very expensive stores and lots of salmon colored pants with boat shoes lol. Pinstripes is a *really* neat place to check out and the original Clyde's is there too. U St is fun too and if you're up that way, there's an awesome Ethiopian area with lots of really good restaurants.

I now live in Capitol Hill which is a pretty large hood broken into sub-hoods. My sub-hood is technically New Hill East which is walking distance to Eastern Market (I am over there just about every weekend). H St NE, Atlas, and Lincoln Park are all sub-hoods as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: